Author Topic: Winamp - an alternative when RealAudio dies  (Read 5751 times)

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Winamp - an alternative when RealAudio dies
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2010, 08:03:21 PM »
maggie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I\'m getting too old for all
> this change business.

You and me BOTH!

Welcome back, even if it is to discover smouldering ruins ...  They call this progress. Before, mobiles didn\'t exist but there sure enough were all kinds of things those gadgets could have been used for. Today Communication channels and gadgets abound, only \"management\" just doesn\'t seem to function which kicks \'content\' right out the window leaving chaos in its wake!::o

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2010, 09:55:21 PM »
Miss Maggie! Glad you\'re still in the land of the living :)

They are replacing them with WMA (Windows Media Audio) files. You can still play these in you\'re Real Player. You\'ll have to futz around with your Real Player settings to get them to open automatically (I assume it\'s the case in Ubuntu).

You can find the links here.

I dumped my Real Player awhile ago, but if I remember correctly, you have to go into your options (or similar) and make Real Player your default player for WMA files. I posted how to do this somewhere on the board, but it was awhile ago, so you might have a bit of a search on your hands.

Anyhoo...all hope is not lost...at least not quite yet :)
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline maggie

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2010, 04:20:24 AM »
Quote from: Truthyness
Welcome back, even if it is to discover smouldering ruins ... They call this progress.

:D I\'m getting used to it, screaming & kicking, Truthy.  Pretty much describes the state of the world.  Except of course the fragrant lilacs down the street!  Communicate that!  Mobile, schmobile.  Don\'t have one.  Wouldn\'t mind an open source non-apple ipad thingy.  

Quote from: Janaru
Miss Maggie! Glad you\'re still in the land of the living smiling smiley

They are replacing them with WMA (Windows Media Audio) files. You can still play these in you\'re Real Player. You\'ll have to futz around with your Real Player settings to get them to open automatically (I assume it\'s the case in Ubuntu).

Living, and in the land of the merry month of May too, Miss Janaru!  Yay!  Balmy breezes!

Aha - I didn\'t know about playing WMA files in RealPlayer - oh wait, I guess I did.  Thanks to Kron\'s help in the Linux thread, I had set up VLC player a while back.  It\'s not opening World News, either of them (one is called English News), which has the .asx at the end.  R3 & R4 are ok, which are the only other ones I use live.

Well, if it means coming to Beebotron more often, that\'s a good thing.  Small is beautiful.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2010, 12:46:15 PM »
I love VLC too, but it\'s really glitchy on my computer. :(  It\'s good for about two or three streams and then conks out. I\'m sure it\'s some setting or another, but haven\'t had time to mess with it. Had my hands full with \"B*stard\" (the laptop that doesn\'t play well with others).

Offline maggie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2010, 07:40:49 PM »
Oy! Having a \"B*stard\" laptop cannot be fun.  I find one of the most exhausting things, more than cleaning house or digging a garden, is dealing with wonky technology.  

I\'ve been doin\' some vlc exploring today.  I\'ve managed to store my usual live beeb radio url\'s in vlc\'s playlist, so I\'m a happy camper.  They\'re almost as easily accessible as they were in RP.  I don\'t know if it might help, but here\'s videolan\'s basic use page for vlc player.  

When you say it conks out - do you mean it just refuses to play a stream?  Can you describe what happens.  Of course, I may not be much help with the Windows side of things.  But I might, who knows.

I\'ve been looking more at Beebotron 3 Lite - didn\'t realize we can still have play again shows! yay!  It\'s a step or two more with the wma and vlc thing for me on linux, but it\'s often better than going to the beeb radio pages.  I sometimes forget, ot just don\'t know,  what shows are available, so it\'s just another reason to highly praise K and anyone working to keep this place the gem that it is.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2010, 08:09:58 PM »
I think the biggest problem was Real Player conflicting with VLC. It\'s sort of a moot point now anyway. I\'m using Total Recorder Pro to listen and record at the same time. Sweet!

The problem is now in the settings for \"B*stard\" which is running XP (yeah, yeah, I know :P) trying to communicate with my husbands computer (which is running Vista) and the Linksys router. It keeps randomly switching to Ad Hoc for some reason.

On top of that, the Beeb are having stream troubles as well, and it\'s hard to tell when it\'s me or when it\'s them. Rule of thumb: If all internet is slow, it\'s me, if it\'s just he Beeb it\'s them.

Offline maggie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2010, 10:20:39 PM »
Argh!  I just came up with a problem in VLC.  When listening to any beeb radio on vlc, the pause button doesn\'t work.  That\'s ok for live, but not for listen again when I often want to pause to do something else, but not stop altogether. Google was no help so far.  Anyone else experience this?

Janaru, re: conflict between RP and VLC - hmm.  Could well be.  Not sure what it\'s like in windows.  I thought I wouldn\'t be able to use both and I\'m still confused as to why vlc opens automatically for beebotron 3 radio links.  I can see I need some time to look into all this.  But I suspect Truthy\'s \"smoulering ruins\" analogy still stands.

I just discovered that the vlc playlist won\'t save the url\'s for beeb live radio I put in.  They only stay there as long as vlc is open.  And even then they disappear as soon as I open a play again show from Beebotron 3. Maybe I need to change my media settings back to RP or something.  Will report back later.  Need to re-read that linux thread.

Offline IvorThirst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2010, 11:18:04 PM »
Maggie. I don\'t know whether my VLC is different from yours, but when I open it I get a small player pad, with all the appropriate buttons. I don\'t use playlists and, as Jan will tell you, I\'m not that technically oriented. I just go to the UK Beebotron 3 Lite and save the URL location to the clipboard.
.       Ivor

The original and real cat with the swishy tail.
Accept no imitations.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2010, 12:08:40 AM »
\"Argh! I just came up with a problem in VLC. When listening to any beeb radio on vlc, the pause button doesn\'t work. That\'s ok for live, but not for listen again when I often want to pause to do something else, but not stop altogether. Google was no help so far. Anyone else experience this? \"

Nope. I never had that one happen.

\"Janaru, re: conflict between RP and VLC - hmm. Could well be. Not sure what it\'s like in windows. I thought I wouldn\'t be able to use both and I\'m still confused as to why vlc opens automatically for beebotron 3 radio links. I can see I need some time to look into all this. But I suspect Truthy\'s \"smoulering ruins\" analogy still stands.\"

You may have the VLC preferences set to open WMA files, so that when you click the Beebotrons links they open in there automatically. I don\'t have VLC installed at the moment, and I can\'t remember where you go to change that, Tools or Options or something like that.

Yeah. Smouldering ruins is right.

\"I just discovered that the vlc playlist won\'t save the url\'s for beeb live radio I put in. They only stay there as long as vlc is open. And even then they disappear as soon as I open a play again show from Beebotron 3. Maybe I need to change my media settings back to RP or something. Will report back later. Need to re-read that linux thread.\"

I think you can save them, Maggie, but it\'s a damn dog and pony show to get it to do it. Jeez, I wish my memory was better. It\'s been a few months since I messed with VLC and I\'ve forgotten most of what I\'d figured out. I think they have a Wiki forum.

Do you want to use VLC or would you prefer using your Real Player? I know you can set that one up to play the WMA\'s automatically.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2010, 01:34:20 AM »
You might try this site too, Maggie. VLC Wiki

Offline maggie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2010, 03:51:27 AM »
Quote from: Janaru
Do you want to use VLC or would you prefer using your Real Player? I know you can set that one up to play the WMA\'s automatically.

I don\'t think this works in Ubuntu.  That would be ideal because, well, I\'ve subjected you to my whinging above.  Maybe it will if I can find that alternate universe.

I installed mplayer and fooled around with it a bit for WMA Beeb radio.  It\'s not pretty.  It works, but won\'t shut off, doesn\'t show the name of the program while playing, & makes believe it\'s not working (pop-up) when it is.  It\'s been recommended for these beeb radio changes for linux users, so I\'ll continue to look at it.

Thanks for the VLC wiki - will putter around in it tomorrow.  I love where it says \'mad things you can do with VLC\"!

It\'s amazing how much time this sort of activity soaks up - like one of those super cloths on tv with that annoying guy, forget the name of it.  I\'m sure any successes I have will be overblown out of self-preservation.

Quote from: Ivor
Maggie. I don\'t know whether my VLC is different from yours, but when I open it I get a small player pad, with all the appropriate buttons. I don\'t use playlists and, as Jan will tell you, I\'m not that technically oriented. I just go to the UK Beebotron 3 Lite and save the URL location to the clipboard.

Sorry I didn\'t get back to you, Ivor!  I can do that too.  I\'m just spoiled by RealPlayer where I don\'t have to copy & paste the URL each time I want to open Radio3.  It\'s save permanently in my favourites there.  VLC won\'t do this.  I may find a way, hopefully.  I switch from World News to R4 and R3 often during the day.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2010, 06:18:53 AM »
\"It\'s amazing how much time this sort of activity soaks up - like one of those super cloths on tv with that annoying guy, forget the name of it.\"

Sham-Wow, baby! B)-

Yeah, tell me about it. I\'ve been fighting with the BBC since February :S

Hmmm....don\'t now about Ubuntu and Real. Let me poke around a bit and if I come up with anything, I\'ll post. We gotta have Maggie back to happy listening again! :)

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2010, 06:36:29 AM »
Hey Maggie, thought you might check this out Helix Player. It may not go anywhere, but it might be worth a look.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2010, 07:06:21 AM »
You probably already know this, or it isn\'t what you\'re looking for, but just in case....

Running RealPlayer

RealPlayer can be started via Applications > Sound & Video > RealPlayer11 or via the Terminal by typing:
realplayer

RealPlayer can run as a standalone media player or as a plugin to Firefox and some other browsers. Currently the 32-bit version integrates well with Ubuntu while the 64-bit version and plugins are still not fully developed.

$PATH. If RealPlayer won\'t start, make sure that a symbolic link of the realplay start-up script is in your system path. To check, run this command in Terminal:
which realplay
# The command should return:
/usr/bin/realplay

If it is not, the user will need to enter the full path to realplayer when the command is run or entered into scripts. If the RealPlayer startup script (realplay) is not located in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin, create a symbolic link so the startup script will be located by the system. The following example is for a RealPlayer installation into the /opt/real/Realplayer folder. If RealPlayer was installed in another folder, change /opt/real/RealPlayer to reflect the actual location:
sudo ln -s /opt/real/RealPlayer/realplay /usr/local/bin

External Protocol Handling: As a standalone player, the default Ubuntu settings may start Totem when a RealPlayer file is selected (.ra, .rm, .rv, .ram, .smil, etc.). If these files are not opened with RealPlayer, the application may start and then crash or close.

To change the default to RealPlayer, right click on the file, select Properties > Open With and then RealPlayer. If it is not a choice, select Open with Other Application and select it.

If not listed, expand Use custom command and the Browse button to point it to the RealPlayer run file. By default, this is /usr/bin/realplayer. If not installed from the Medibuntu repositories, the location may be /opt/real/RealPlayer.

Offline ray

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2010, 02:54:43 AM »
For those on Windows, try XMPlay.

I use it and it\'s awesome.  Lightweight and great.
http://un4seen.com/xmplay.html

Plays WMA natively.

[Update]
A new release of the WMA plugin allows you to seek!
http://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=11739.0