Author Topic: Closure of Beebotron.org  (Read 608 times)

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Closure of Beebotron.org
« on: May 27, 2019, 10:53:37 AM »
Hello all,

Apologies to all - I've decided to shut the Beebotron down.

The Beebotron was born during a time that the BBC were providing data feeds alongside the iPlayer. We could use those feeds to create interesting tools to supplement what the BBC themselves provided via the iPlayer. The BBC has changed policy and closed those feeds down - BBC content is now much harder to access in an approved manner without using the iPlayer or various BBC apps on Android or Apple devices.

I've not had the time or frankly the ability to adjust the Beebotron to provide the same service it used to and so that side of the site has slowly ceased to function. As that service has faded so has the community here on the forum. The very sad passing of Janaru last year has also left us without the 'glue' she so wonderfully provided to the community over many years.

So, taking all that on board, I've decided not to renew the webspace when the next fees become payable at the end of summer.

There are several places around the web that have communities similar to ours which are worth looking at. The big one is Reddit, and I'll post some links to them as time goes on. Please feel free to also reply and post your own links to places you may hang out elsewhere online.

Thanks everyone,
Rick
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 10:23:52 PM by ricklous »

Offline Tolkny

• View Profile
Re: Closure of Beebotron.org
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 03:26:29 AM »
Thanks for a great service.

You made a real positive difference to my radio listening.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 04:20:56 AM »
K had the bright idea of founding the Beebotron, Jan was a treasure who kept the ball rolling in cahoots with Ivor and other usual suspects, but YOU dear Rick MADE IT ALL POSSIBLE! Your time, funds, patience, invention and generosity gave us all hundreds of hours of happy listening and sparring amongst friends.
Sad news about the closure, though in the circumstances the decision makes good sense.
From the bottom of my heart, and I think I speak for all Beebotron's "passengers" THANK YOU. May your life, family and work thrive. We owe you a debt of gratitude.

Truthyness

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline gingerbee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 10:37:30 PM »
Beebotron was a wonderful service - extremely useful. I found Beebotron's listen again stream listings much more convenient to use than iPlayer for locating programs. The quick startup of the hls streams, and the ease of seeking within them, were added bonuses.
Sorry to see Beebotron go but I'm very grateful for all the work you put into it in the past.
Thank you so much.
GB

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 09:36:58 AM »
K had the bright idea of founding the Beebotron, Jan was a treasure who kept the ball rolling in cahoots with Ivor and other usual suspects, but YOU dear Rick MADE IT ALL POSSIBLE! Your time, funds, patience, invention and generosity gave us all hundreds of hours of happy listening and sparring amongst friends.
Sad news about the closure, though in the circumstances the decision makes good sense.
From the bottom of my heart, and I think I speak for all Beebotron's "passengers" THANK YOU. May your life, family and work thrive. We owe you a debt of gratitude.

Truthyness

Truthy has said everything I think and more eloquently than I could, I understand completely, but am sad at it happening.

My biggest regret is not finding it earlier, this is balanced by the fact that I got to meet a lovely lady in Jan  who I miss more than I could have imagined, I hope we all find a place to decant to where our shared love of Radio can thrive.
Good luck to all and Truthy, I will keep in touch, however frequently it is.
'Anima Mea' -My Soul