Author Topic: Farewell JANARU  (Read 365 times)

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Farewell JANARU
« on: August 19, 2018, 02:11:44 PM »
Today the following sad announcement reached me. On 17th August Jan Petersen, long-time Administrator, at The Beebotron died.

Her daughter-in-law wrote :

>>>>>>>>Hi Truthyness,

This is Anna, Jan's daughter-in-law...  We were in touch a few years back when she was going through a rough patch with her internet.  Today, I'm emailing you for a much sadder reason...  yesterday, on August 17, 2018, Jan left us to join her mama, nanny, and grandpa in heaven.  We are all devastated...  her first grandbaby, our son Tibby was born just a month ago, and while she saw him daily on video calls and photos, due to the distance, she never got to hold him.  As I was trying to think of everyone to notify, I remembered you, and thought you would appreciate the notice.  Please keep our family in your thoughts.

Much love,
-Anna Petersen- <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On behalf of the Beebotron the following message was posted at Janaru's Facebook page :

Jan was the backbone of the Beebotron site and worked tirelessly to bring quality BBC programmes to the attention of the membership. She was warm, generous, wise and inclusive. The perfect administrator for any virtual community.

SHE WILL BE SORELY MISSED;

The Beebotron community sends its sincerest condolences to the Petersen family.

The same message will be emailed to Anna Petersen.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 09:24:55 PM by Truthyness »

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
Re: Farewell JANARU
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 10:37:52 AM »
Thanks Truthy for making that sad news available.

It seems distressingly ironic that only 2.5 months ago I was bemoaning the fact that people disappear from fora such as this without explanation, and now we hear that Jan will not be posting any more, but I wish it was due to a happier reason.

She put so much work into this forum, and energised it by keeping me and no doubt many others informed and entertained over the years with her wit, knowledge and wisdom.

Thank you Jan.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 01:57:04 PM »
I am very glad you added WIT to the roll call of qualities she had.  Indeed that stood out among her many other endearing personality traits.

The news leaves me bereft! She and I developed a powerful friendship over the years (15?) stretching back to the Archers Mustardland boards. I wish I could access those to compile a memory book. The scope of her interests was impressive.
Rarely did she allow her struggle with chronic illness to stop her!

I wish too that I had an email address for Kronalias and Ivor to notify them. Perhaps Ricklous can help there?

Hope you are fighting fit IE and that we continue to exchange as usual.

Truthyness
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 01:53:33 AM by Truthyness »

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Kronalias

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 04:52:51 PM »
Hi All

I've just popped into the forum for the first time in ages, read this and am absolutely gutted.

What a lovely lady - I am so grateful to have met her, albeit in a virtual way. The world could do with more people like her.

RIP Jan, with a heavy heart, K

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 05:26:57 PM »
I am genuinely devastated by this news, I did not know Jan well, but we corresponded fairly frequently I tried to point her at different sources of material, and in each and every exchange she was a lovely, lovely lady, ironically, the last one was regarding the Health of Truthyness, whom I didn't want to trouble. She always underplayed her own health issues to me and was always fun and mischievous.

This site unfortunately has become a bit stagnant, but I have a great fondness for it and especially for the messages from Jan and Truthy.

It is testimony to how special she was, that I feel so bad at this and if you'd pass my condolences and best wishes if you are again in contact, I sincerely hope your own health issues are in check, thank you for letting us know the terrible news, I was aware how close you and Jan were, my thoughts are with you also, A.

Best wishes
Jim
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline Lady Penelope

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 08:14:40 PM »
Such sad news.    By one of those weird coincidences the day after I got Tru's message, I pulled a book from a shelf and a piece of paper fell out with an  epitaph I had noted some years ago fell out,  I quote it as I thought it so like Jan.:

The Sun be warm and kind to you.

The darkest night some star shine through.

The dullest morn a radiance brew

And when dusk comes, God's hand to you.

My very best wishes to Ironeyes and any who remember me.   Sorry I have been out of touch - as Jan would say "stuff happens

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 02:19:44 AM »
Kron I am relieved you tuned in to get the news. It was, after all, thanks to you that my abiding friendship with Jan found root. (abiding friendships with all members of the forum I should add)
Kron, or Rick, if either of you have a current email address for Ivor, I'm certain he'd want to know. Jan and he (and others) enjoyed hilarious exchanges on this wonderful platform you so kindly created for us.

Tall For, your touching words and understanding are much appreciated, without that extraordinary girl, I do feel lost. Each day I tune in to her FB page in the hope of reading about her from her friends and family ... for the time being they are all too absorbed and devastated for that. I did ask for an address with a view to sending a Beebotron wreath to the funeral ...

Rest assured, your comments on Janaru will be forwarded to her family. Anyone wanting Jan's daughter-in-law's email address I can pm it.

Penny, the epitaph you wrote is beautiful.
These verses were posted on Jan's FB page:

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there, I do not sleep,
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight,
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there I did not die.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:40:02 AM by Truthyness »

I shall not be starc

Offline IvorThirst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 11:31:00 AM »
Dear All

I've just caught up with this sad news. Of late, the messages have not been inciting me to reply. Possibly this could be because Jan has not been contributing. Andrew's update of his listings page automatically created an email to me and encouraged me to log in.

Sad and kind thoughts to Jan and her family.

I will continue to log in here, periodically. In a fortnight, I will be going into hospital for a follow-up of one of my earlier minor ops. I'll message when I'm back.
.       Ivor

The original and real cat with the swishy tail.
Accept no imitations.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 04:40:43 PM »
Good to hear from you Ivor, if in sorrowful circumstances.
I'll be rooting for you while you are in. K's wise words "quick in, quick out" spring to mind.
Your experiences with the "issue" served to reassure a friend and neighbour who went down with something similar.
Sketching an outline of the processes you underwent offered her encouragement. Happy to add that her situation has also been successfully controlled, even if it did take a while.

Bests, Tru

I shall not be starc

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 04:44:18 PM »
Memorial Service for JANARU

I understand from Jan's DIL that the memorial service takes place in October. She is going to try to arrange streaming the ceremony. Details of the event will be posted to this thread as members may want to join in online. Date yet to be notified.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 04:48:13 PM by Truthyness »

I shall not be starc

Offline gbgian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 06:27:55 PM »
Gutted!
She was a joy to know via the boards. My heart goes out to her family and to those of you that meet regularly here.
[Corporal Nobbs had been disqualified from the human race for shoving. Sir Terry Pratchett]