Author Topic: Difficult to log in to this site  (Read 148 times)

Offline Ed

• View Profile
Difficult to log in to this site
« on: August 06, 2018, 09:05:17 AM »
Thought I would comment on why there are currently so few posts being made on this forum.

One reason, certainly in my case, is the difficulty of logging in to this site for the past 8 weeks. Today is the first time I've succeeded in logging in, and even today I still had to overcome difficulties. Wish I knew what the cause is, but I've no idea.

This forum has often given me problems in the past, but never to quite this extent.

I mention it only because it seems likely to be a reason for the recent inactivity on the site. And in case, when I log off, it's another two months before you hear from me again, I'd like to leave a record of the reason why I didn't/haven't/couldn't respond to any posts on any threads here recently.

:-\

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
Re: Difficult to log in to this site
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 10:37:59 AM »
Ed,

I am in the UK, using WIN 8.1 and Chrome and have had no difficulty in the last four weeks,
although thinking about it, I can't remember ever having troubles logging in here.

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 11:34:24 AM »
I'm in the UK, but use Win 7 SP1 and Firefox.

For the past several years I've had intermittent problems logging in. I believe, although I'm not certain, that they began when Win 8 was released.

I've noticed that many of the regular posters have even less understanding of computers than I do, so I presume the fact that the whole site had only 3 posts in the whole of July might be related to almost everyone being on some pre-Windows 8 O/S. Certainly I've come across no one here - me included! - who would be up to upgrading their machine to Win 8 or 10 (except as part of buying a new machine). This isn't the type of forum where people would willingly do such a thing, so there could be quite a few users locked-out.

It can't be that 4 Extra is more boring than it was in June!

In fact the station has actually been getting better in the last three months. A lot of releases of 'lost' episodes, in particular. 'Take It From Here', 'Beyond Our Ken' and 'Clitheroe Kid' have all seen a flurry of supposedly long lost episodes in the past 2 months, that the Beeb have suddenly unexpectedly decided they have not wiped after all.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 02:31:52 AM »
Hi Ed, Hi IE,
I have had one or two glitches ... but mostly due to my own lack of computer literacy.
I am using the latest firefox mozilla browser.
Hope we can get your issue sorted Ed.
Cheers.

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 08:58:23 PM »
This post has been typed and sent on my old laptop running XP and using Chrome. No problem logging in.