Author Topic: Hellooooo......are you there?  (Read 283 times)

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
Hellooooo......are you there?
« on: June 03, 2018, 10:12:45 PM »
Am I alone in being frustrated by fora such as this one, in the way that people can be interactive, funny, annoying, informative, etc., sometimes on a daily basis, and maybe for a number of years, and then……………………….they’re gone.…………………....with no word of farewell, nothing.

And I’m not just talking about hero members like Matamore (with over 4000 posts), who hasn’t been active for over two years. We also have an administrator, my old sparring partner Truthyness, who hasn’t been active for over four months, but who previously, according to the stats has posted an average of 2.4 posts PER DAY for nine years plus.

I know that in some cases, people will succumb to ill health or accidents, which may prevent them from informing other forum users of their non-participation, but that can’t be the case for all of ‘the disappeared’.

I’m not expecting any illuminating answers here, and guess I’ll just go on wondering what happened to old wossname and whether thingy is still alive and kicking.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hellooooo......are you there?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 08:35:28 PM »
I'm here!  Not too often, anymore, as I have a steaming pile of life going on right now...and for a long while now....but I AM here. :)

I know Tru has been having health issues, poor thing. We commiserate on FB occasionally.

How are you? :D
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 03:58:06 PM »
Hi Jan, I'm sorry that your 'hot' life is keeping you busier than you may have liked.

I'm fine, but as I said, disappointed that so many characters from this saga of Beebotron have disappeared without any explanation. 

Give my best to Truthy, and Lady P (and anyone else) with whom you might communicate away from here.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 01:47:56 PM »
Echooooooooe echoooooooe echoooooooe
No this isn't!

hello Jan and Ironeyes,
I too have had steaming piles of the same as Jan's described. Only I think health-wise she may have beaten me in terms of quantity!

How are  you both, how are you listening ... if you are listening. Love to share the occasional nugget you come across.

In Brussels, global-warming has peaked. We're expecting 27° this afternoon! But in the city centre it's a pit and humid and polluted.

I have recently found refuge on a tiny organic farm in the heart of the Atlas and consequently am taking to going every month. It is, as so many have mentioned to me over the past 50 years, the IDEAL climate.

Other than that ... have been initiated to SPOTIFY which fills the BBC void satisfactorily.

Hope temperatures are not too brutal in Cali right now.
And what of Down-under IE, any trips there in the offing?

Dear Rick, sorry if I've been absent but life took over good 'n proper I'm afraid.
The little bunnies(kids), are they flourishing in the exquisite neck of the woods you inhabit?

Thanks for keeping us afloat.

Cheers to all,
Tru

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:31:52 PM by Truthyness »

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 07:31:44 PM »
Glad you're well, IE. Yeah, I miss the hustle and bustle as well. :(  Hard to get into it when there isn't much radio worth talking about. :( 

Hey, Miss Thang! Sounds like you're soldiering on. Atlas? Like in the mountain range?  Oooooh, that sounds pretty awesome. :) Glad you'r finding some respite.

As for here, we've actually been spared....so far. Only one day over 100F so far...but the flesh melting heat is coming. Nature of the beast, I'm afraid.

Not listening to anything in particular. Sort of into the Death in Ice Valley podcast, which is kind of intriguing, but not really your cuppa, I would guess. I'm on Spotify, too. Are you using your own name? If so, I'll see if I can find you and follow you like a stalker. :P

Just discovered BBC is on there, the other day, but having dug into it yet.

You listening to anything interesting? That's for either of you, by the way....or anyone else out there. ;)

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 03:43:04 PM »
Aha Truthy, good to see your messages are as usual, thought provoking, somewhat ambiguous, and sprinkled with a hint of mystery,

I read as far as, "I too have had steaming piles", before my eyes started watering and I had to break off. It was only later when I read the rest of the sentence that I realised you were probably sitting more comfortably than I imagined.

"...in the heart of the Atlas". Is Jan correct, or do I need to consult my Times Atlas of the World to find out what lies in the centre pages?

If Jan is right, then you should be in Morocco, no?

Is it really more agreeable there than in Brussels?

No trips to the Antipodes planned before next year. This year it's their turn to come and get re-acquainted with civilisation.

My listening? Usual stuff, Hancock, Round The Horne, Just A Minute (Radio 4), Milton Jones (Radio 4), Flywheel, Shyster and Flywheel etc. The key to listening to these is to do something else at the same time, like reading and answering e-mails, looking at the weather forecast, checking stuff on NewsNow, WhatsApp and Line. By doing this, I miss so much of the programme I am 'listening' to, that I have to listen to it again later to fill in the gaps.

Also, Factfulness - Hans Rosling. Riveting, this got my full attention, as did Dark Corners - Ruth Rendell.

Bung ho, for now.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 01:53:35 AM »
Heya J-ru ... Have NO idea what name I'm registered under in Spotify. Scratch that! Just checked, it's the same ;-). Note to self: adjust settings to share playlists (which is an excellent idea) with friends.
Though the concept is enchanting, the app often infuriates! But the "wherever you are, LISTEN TO" algorithm blows my mind. Stuff trapped in my subconscious these past 50 years has been released in a tsunami of sound. It beats drugs! And an ex-professional dj writes!!!

How does the Cali cat community?
THE KING LIVES, awesome and handsome! He's just back from a check up at Ghent Uni at which the faculty Prof. for small animals declared him fit for purpose. Blood tests showed thyroid medication doses should be adjusted down. Kidneys, despite the onset of that most common of feline plagues, are doing tolerably.

But what of the family? Did the DIL grant you that grand-child? Is Trump fever cooling? Have the family factions made peace? Can we mention asthma?

Temps of 100°F ????? Eeeeek! And would that be humid Jan?
Though in July - August in the Atlas expect 110° ...  and in heat wave -116-ish!-
There the air, the air is C-O-C-A-I-N!
I've NEVER sensed its like and became addicted on the instant! Were it not for The King I'd be off there for good. First I must become a millionaire because ... ALL the donkeys and cats, each and every last one of 'em, need care. MILLIONS of 'em suffer hideous neglect ... despite the whiskered-one's high standing in the eyes of the Prophet... The recent charity set up to tend to the poor miserable horses is a start but nothing more... However in a land where school-leaving age for girls is 10-11, where villages lack running water, roads, energy, who cares about the beasts!

... Erm, did I digress? Then I'll continue ;-)
The air is a wild cocktail of Saharan, Atlantic and Mountain. Proud Toubkal, the loftiest of the range rises snow-capped a 100k from my oasis. In April & May, during the two 6-day trips, my lungs and general condition improved substantially. In a climate termed semi-arid, 24 hours delivers : agreeable mornings, generally dry, not too hot; noon to end afternoon = peak heat; evenings bring cool air and refreshing mild humidity; night temps can drop 10 - 15 degrees. Blue skies may be punctuated by cloud cover in varying degrees though, winter aside, little rain results. Real live beneficial, chiefly dry, delicate, restorative AIR is the essence secret, as well as (except in heat wave circs.) the relief offered by the variety in atmospheric conditions experienced in a single day.

Due to a pet animal's needs (care & attention), 6 day stays are the limit ... cloistered on the little farm. Journeys to and from the airport are conducted with eyes tight shut to avoid visions of deprived children, seniors and animals! On the constructive side small effective development projects to support to give back some to the place are in the pipe-line.

IE: have you worked out the location? In the foothills of the snow-capped (high) Atlas on the edge of the elevated plateau that harbours Marrakesh.

Radio : listening is down to a minimum. Caught the R4 Tale of 2 (Syrian) cities which, to my surprise was listenable. A couple of other things were palatable, though can't, for the moment, recall what. An outstanding Reunion episode about a poltergeist had me enthralled! Still available to listen:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09yck6b
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4GjC93L35KcswfsR13Gvj8F/what-it-s-like-to-meet-a-poltergeist. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0641x05
But since then there's been a tedious surfeit of horror of not very high quality, aside from a Conan Doyle 15' short.
The absence of Parsons from JAM is worrying - hope it is temporary.
That Baldwin fellow continues to irritate demonstrating unique lack of skill in the celebrity interview formula ... take the Paul Simon effort as a text book example. You are guaranteed to writhe for the duration.
There is an excellent series on the history of music journalism, which Jan has surely picked up on ... I'll try to find-post the link.
Activities of Labour International (LILA) on FB have my attention. But like a stubborn gold digger, precious time is still spent sifting the BBC's websites. Your recommendations will be followed up IE. Would there were a Spotify for comedy/drama/sitcoms ... now THERE's an idea!

Marveling still at your multi-tasking (boast?) IE, and glorying at the vision of 'Citizen-Exemplary' I say Bravo!
A fitting note on which to conclude?

May the Muse of quality audio content smile down on us once more.

Yours ever ...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:01:36 PM by Truthyness »

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 07:27:49 PM »
I love the ones you can listen to and do something else...which at the moment is finishing a crocheted baby blanket for the young'n (due July 4th, if you please :) ) It's of my own design, so no pattern. It's black with golden stripes at the bottom and bumble bees with a golden stitched flight path for each. Those bumbles are given me fits! I've had to do at least three prototypes before settling on the current design. But old fingers no longer obey me, as they once did...making it an unholy slog, some days...but, hopefully, worth it, in the end.

I had not grabbed the journalist program, so a link would be gratefully accepted, when you get the chance.

Sounds like you've found an absolute haven, Tru. I'm so happy you've found some comfort and it sounds absolutely glorious...except for the unfortunate circumstances of some of the residents. Way too much of that in this world. And we are of less help than usual, of late. We did precious little before, now it's practically non-existent. Puerto Rico is still waiting for power. Absolutely shameful.

The family sitch is about the same. Half of us are insane and the other half hate that orange bastard. 

We're hoping for some relief in the mid-terms (November). If we can change the balance of power in Congress, we have a chance of preventing the wack jobs from destroying civilization. Pray for us.

The King is better?!!!  :D  Thank God! Tell him, "Le Meow....Le Purr", from me and send him the slow blink of love and approval of his beauty and awesomeness, as well.  We have a new group of kittens....too cute...but only a few to try and home, so....progress!

Breathing was not too bad, but it heated up the last few days, here, so it's kinda screwy at the moment. Supposed to cool down in a few days, so hopefully better then.

Well...that's the highlights, I guess.

Talk soon....

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 02:23:59 AM »
Factfulness would be THE broadcast to take as a text book example to demonstrate the paroxysm of drivel Auntie has reached. A kind of post modern reverse Kafka approach. If it were broadcast by anyone but the BBC, it might even be faintly comical.

There's an R4 afternoon play slot which is vaguely listenable under the Dangerous Visions title :
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b5stvj#play.
A hyper real take on politics and consequences thinly veiled in near future sci-fi garb. It's melodramatic and disturbing ...
By airing it, no doubt Auntie hopes to burst the "conspiracy theory" rumours beamed out about Her to ever growing audiences on alternative news sites around the globe. And in that way, unhindered, progress along the resolutelly neo-fascistic path She has, with such determination, elected to follow!

Here's the music journalism history feature : https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b3vv2q.
I thought there had been a couple of others, but may have been fantasizing! Will continue to search!
There's The Women Who Wrote Rock (not yet listened to this one so can't speak for the quality)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07428bt
More about the series is here (you may already have heard them back in 2016
https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/articles/ab1e4021-61d6-417c-8f5e-7ba62460d0ff
The Business of music (haven't heard this one yet)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b078nqbf
The 10 best music documentaries : (not heard this)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2z8cM2NJKSfww6pK60Pd9g5/mary-anne-hobbs-picks-10-great-music-documentaries

Right, so there may be some meat on the platter there Jan.

IE: The news is what I choose to listen to whilest otherwise occupied ... precisely because I do not want to hear much/most of it once, let alone repeated ... The luxury of Radio, it seems to me, is the freedom it offers to do more than one thing at a time. Concentration is a factor and great content should root one to the spot and draw in the listener fully. But you already know that.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 04:18:55 AM by Truthyness »

I shall not be starc

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 10:05:46 AM »
Factfulness would be THE broadcast to take as a text book example to demonstrate the paroxysm of drivel Auntie has reached. A kind of post modern reverse Kafka approach. If it were broadcast by anyone but the BBC, it might even be faintly comical.

Whoa Truthy, having been away for a couple of months and stored up your energy, you've returned with the disruptive power of The Beast From The East. Can you illuminate your less than favourable opinion of Factfulness, by providing one or two examples of 'drivel' from the programme? 

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 12:54:31 PM »
Hi there IE, certainly,
How about : every syllable from start to finish?

Otherwise good to hear from you, thanks for opening this thread. Off to my oasis again Sunday ... YIPEEEEEEEEEE!

I shall not be starc

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 01:43:51 PM »
Hi there IE, certainly,
How about : every syllable from start to finish?

Not good enough I'm afraid. Imagine you're in a court of law, and you've been asked the question I put to you in my previous post.

Do you want to be held in contempt for not giving a satisfactory answer?

Previous experience with persons who evade that type of question lead me to believe they have no evidence.

Surely that's not the case here?  :P

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 10:58:18 PM »
Perfect example IE. And there you sit wigged and glorious passing judgement on one and all!
That is exactly the image I have of you: playing judge and jury. You have given  yourself away.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 12:30:31 AM by Truthyness »

I shall not be starc

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 09:24:40 AM »
Haha Truthy,

This is just like the old days of cut and thrust on the playing field of The Beebotron.

You didn't think that I would let you be the only judgemental contributor to this forum, did you?

C'mon now, where are your examples from the programme?

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 06:31:31 AM »
Wow! It does seem like the old days, don't it? ;)

Thanks for the links, Tru. I'll take a peek.