Author Topic: get_iPlayer trouble....  (Read 327 times)

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
get_iPlayer trouble....
« on: June 27, 2017, 09:04:28 AM »
Hey, guys. Is anyone else having trouble using the links on get_iPlayer?  I've used them many, many times before without issues. The last time was probably a month or so ago. Now? No go.

Did I miss an update or new procedure or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline Ed

• View Profile
Re: get_iPlayer trouble....
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 03:25:31 PM »
I have started a new thread in the main forum, which might assist you -

https://forum.beebotron.org/index.php?topic=66093.msg66363

I can't specifically address the point about get_iplayer, but there have been some big changes on the BBC website in the last week, which the get_iplayer developers will not yet have had enough time to solve.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 03:28:14 PM by Ed »

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 07:49:21 PM »
Thanks, Ed. :)

Offline Ed

• View Profile
get_iPlayer
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 01:30:57 AM »
Just a brief update to this thread.

I've recently been using get_iPlayer myself, with both radio and tv. Any problems there may have been earlier in the year seem to have been resolved, as it's currently working successfully.

I'm using v3.02, the latest version for Windows (see https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/windows). I'm running Windows 7 on a laptop.

It is NOT necessary to sign-in to the BBC website. The program can access radio or television without signing in: this is one of the big advantages of using get_iPlayer. As yet, this is the only way to access tv without signing in that I've found.

I use these settings in a batch file (get_iplayer.bat) to access tv  -

Code: [Select]
SET pid=b0077lhk
SET progname=Sgt Wilsons Little Secret
SET get_iplayer="C:\Program Files (x86)\Get_iPlayer\get_iplayer.cmd"
%get_iplayer% --pid=%pid% --info --streaminfo --force >> "Prog Info - %progname%.txt"

::  TV Channel
SET channel=BBC Two

::  TV Show
SET show=Sgt Wilsons Little Secret

::  Program Location
SET get_iplayer=C:\Program Files (x86)\Get_iPlayer\get_iplayer.cmd

"%get_iplayer%" --get "%show%" --type=tv --tvmode=good --channel="%channel%"  --file-prefix="<nameshort><-senum><-episodeshort>" --output "C:\Users\%username%\Downloads" --force & cmd /k

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 01:40:15 AM by Ed »

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 06:17:10 PM »
Oh, my God, thank you, Ed! <3 

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 01:24:46 AM »
I have zero idea what I'm dong over there.

The previous version I downloaded, more or less, did it all for me. This time, I don't even know if I'm downloading the correct files. It acts like it's installing, but no icons on my desktop as in previous downloads.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

(I'm using Windows 10)

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 02:07:21 AM »
Okay...I think I've figured it out. The Lord watches over fools and children. ;)

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 03:31:02 AM »
In case anyone needs this information -

The current version of get_iplayer for Windows is 3.05:

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer_win32/releases

The installation program installed get_iplayer in this directory on my machine (running Windows 7):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Get_iPlayer

You have to create a download directory yourself. I created it as a sub-directory of the program's directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Get_iPlayer\Downloads

The installer program does create a shortcut on the Desktop for you to use. I suggest using my batch file instead - see above. But if you need the shortcut, and haven't got it, here is what it contains. In the 'Target' box it has this command -

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k get_iplayer.cmd --search dontshowanymatches && get_iplayer.cmd --help
And in the 'Start in' box it contains this:  %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

Before you begin

Windows 7 is the minimum version supported by get_iplayer v3 - Windows XP and Vista are not supported. Use the version 2 installer for XP and Vista. This seems to be only because the bundled version of ffmpeg.exe included in the v3 package does not work on those earlier Windows versions.

Also, you must replace the bundled version of ffmpeg anyway, in order to convert output files to MP4 and to add metadata tags.

The installer includes all necessary dependencies: AtomicParsley, ffmpeg, and a customised version of Strawberry Perl. This is the only supported configuration of get_iplayer for Windows. If you use any other version of those tools, your installation of get_iplayer is not supported: i.e. you can't ask the development team for help if you hit a problem using earlier versions of those tools.

Upgrading

There is generally no need to uninstall the previous version of get_iplayer before installing a new version. You can simply install over the previous version. However, if you prefer to uninstall and re-install, that should work just as well.

Command-line interface

An "All Users" installation will be performed, with get_iplayer installed in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer

To start the program go to get_iplayer > get_iplayer on the Start menu. The program will launch in a console window.

The working directory of the console window will be your home directory (%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%). You may also open a normal command prompt (cmd.exe) and run get_iplayer commands there.

NOTE: Do not launch get_iplayer.cmd (in the installation directory) directly from Windows Explorer. The batch file will quit immediately after updating the programme cache. You must run get_iplayer from the Start menu shortcut, or in a command prompt window, for it to work properly.

Notes

The installer will append the installation directory to the value of your system PATH environment variable. You can thus invoke the program from any command prompt, with any working directory, by entering your get_iplayer command at the prompt and hitting Return. The Start Menu shortcut is installed for convenience.

The path for the embedded Perl distribution (perl subdirectory) and the path to the included atomicparsley and ffmpeg utilities (utils subdirectory) are not permanently added to %PATH%. They are temporarily prepended to %PATH% only when get_iplayer batch scripts are running. If %PATH% is already quite large (>=2048 chars), e.g. because of other software packages that did not properly update %PATH% on install or uninstall, you may experience problems launching get_iplayer, perl or external programs. You may encounter error messages similar to "get_iplayer.cmd is not recognized as an internal or external command". You may also encounter similar problems if your PATH environment variables contain invalid or corrupted file paths or mismatched quotes. First, try rebooting your machine. If that does not help, you will need to clean obsolete and invalid entries from your PATH environment variable settings. Run echo %PATH% from a command prompt to check the value.

Do not launch get_iplayer or the Web PVR Manager with 'Run as administrator'. It will open the get_iplayer console window in C:\WINDOWS\system32, which is a system directory where you should not be working. It should not be necessary to run them as administrator.

Features

- Downloads TV and radio programmes from BBC iPlayer
  - Allows multiple programmes to be downloaded using a single command
  - Indexing of most available iPlayer catch-up programmes  (not BBC Three, Red Button, or iPlayer Exclusive)
  - Caching of index with automatic updating
  - Regex search on programme name
  - Regex search on programme description and episode title
  - Filter search results by channel
  - Direct download via programme ID or URL
  - PVR capability (may be used with cron or Task Scheduler)
  - HTTP proxy support
  - Perl 5.10.1+ required, plus LWP, LWP::Protocol::https,XML::LibXML and Mojolicious modules
  - Requires ffmpeg for conversion to MP4 and AtomicParsley for metadata tagging
  - Runs on Linux/BSD (Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenBSD and others),  macOS (10.10+), Windows (7/8/10) (XP/Vista not supported)

NOTE:

1.  get_iplayer can only search for programmes that were broadcast on BBC linear services within the previous 30 days, even if some are available for more than 30 days on the iPlayer site. Any programmes that are still available after 30 days must be located on the iPlayer site and downloaded directly via PID or URL.

2.  get_iplayer does not support downloading news/sport videos, other embedded media, archive sites, special collections, educational material, programme clips or any content other than whole episodes of programmes broadcast on BBC linear services within the previous 30 days, plus episodes of BBC Three programmes posted within the same period. It may be possible to download other content directly via PID or URL, but such use is not supported.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 03:45:43 AM by Ed »

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 10:39:13 PM »
Mine is working pretty well, now, although a bit slow on download. The previous version was lightning fast. Have you found this to be the case, Ed?

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 03:44:29 AM »
In practice, I find that the download speed I get varies every time I use get_iplayer. But it also varies markedly when I'm using other solutions too (such as rtmpdump.exe or ffmpeg.exe or YouTube-dl.exe), so I don't worry too much about it.

My download speed varies because of my ISP (after 6pm I find that my ISP slows down, as users start to get home from work and log-on), or because of heavy use of the BBC website (which can be much slower than other sites at weekends, for example, a time when demand is particularly high).

You don't have an actual problem with get_iplayer itself, unless that program stops functioning.

But sometimes it can help speed things up if you clear get_iplayer's cache (provided you don't do so more than once a day: caching some information on your machine makes some functions of get_iplayer run quicker). Open the directory C:\Users\%Username%\.get_iplayer and delete all the files named .cache and then re-start get_iplayer.

DASH and HLS links in XML format

These links give access to the Beeb's secret pages, on which the full details of their hls and dash url's can be found -

The VPID (final 8 characters) is the only part of the url that changes for each radio programme -

http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/select/version/2.0/mediaset/pc/vpid/00000000

http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/select/version/2.0/mediaset/mobile-phone-main/vpid/00000000

http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/select/version/2.0/mediaset/mobile-phone-main/transferformat/hls/vpid/00000000

Here, I've replaced the actual vpid with 8 zero's. Simply choose one of the three links, and substitute an actual vpid for the 8 zero's.

You can find the actual VPID for an individual radio show on one of these pages -

https://beebotron.org/listings/radio4extra/hls/
      https://beebotron.org/listings/radio4extra/dash/

or open the radio show in your browser, and start it playing, then right-click on the window in which the show is playing.

This is basically what get_iplayer is doing for you, i.e. it does all the above so you don't have to. But the information might be helpful to anyone reading this who prefers to use other software (such as rtmpdump.exe or ffmpeg.exe or YouTube-dl.exe).

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 04:26:52 AM by Ed »

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 02:05:19 AM »
Thanks, for all of that, Ed. I do think it was the ISP. After I wrote that, I had tried some other things online and my connections kept crashing, so that was probably it.
I haven't tried it since.

Thanks again for the help. :)