Author Topic: Catacombs Paris  (Read 219 times)

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Catacombs Paris
« on: May 10, 2017, 10:03:48 PM »
Had the dilettante who churned out the pap on license payers' money audible in the BBC link below bothered to surf YouTube he might have spared scarce resources, offered the listener a worthwhile production and found infinitely more valuable material from which to source his poorly presented slapdash effort!

The quality of broadcasting makes one weep!

Famously known as the City of Light, Paris is a diverse metropolis rich in architecture and steeped in history. But it has a dark alter ego that lies 30 metres under the ground, mirroring centuries of bloody wars, revolutions and riots on the surface. For Paris is porous - built on 177 miles of tunnels that were formed when limestone and gypsum were quarried to build the capital. Most people are only aware of just a tiny fraction of these tunnels - the world famous ossuary known as The Catacombs. The authorities have tried to keep a lid on the full extent of the labyrinthine remainder for hundreds of years. But there are little known entry points everywhere - in basements, in train stations, cellars and sewers. Throughout history, invaders have always found a way in, whether they were fighting Prussian soldiers, fleeing royalty of the French Revolution, the Nazis or The Resistance. Today they're home to the cataphiles - urban explorers who use the tunnels as an art space, a music venue or even a clandestine meeting point for secret societies.

The Guardian's architecture and design correspondent Jonathan Glancey investigates the underground maze of Paris, revealing a mysterious and intriguing history.

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Catacombs Paris
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 09:09:52 AM »
I loved this one when it first aired. I've listened a couple of times since, and recommended it to others more than once. Fascinating program.

As for the YT thingy, couldn't get past the intro music. :P
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....