Author Topic: Just when one thought radio had one foot in the grave.  (Read 169 times)

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
Just when one thought radio had one foot in the grave.
« on: April 01, 2017, 02:11:00 PM »
https://qz.com/924075/audiobook-readers-obsessed-with-multitasking-are-driving-americas-biggest-new-reading-trend/

What an opportunity for the BBC!

Get those new documentaries, travelogues, dramas, books at bedtime etc. produced and sell 'em.

If that's the trend in the States now, it will inevitably spread like the proverbial.

(I also find myself unable to do lots of things now without having some sort of infotainment entering my lugholes)

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
Re: Just when one thought radio had one foot in the grave.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 08:43:28 AM »
I have been the same for more than twenty five years.

Since a kid I can't fall asleep without listening to spoken word, it used to be a shortwave radio and earpiece, American Forces radio, World Service or even stuff like radio Tirana and their English News.
Since the advent of the Walkman around 1982, I recorded radio drama and my obsession spiralled, I can't sleep without an earpiece these days and my job has me driving 3-5 hours a day, so a USB stick loaded with new stuff mixed with old favourites not only makes it tolerable, it actually makes me look forward, as a bonus I miss all the inane chatter and musical choices of the drones on radio.
With the advent of bluetooth headphones, (a WONDERFUL addition to technology, I can load up my phone and walk the dog whilst listening to a play or series, a short walk would be listening to something like Cabin Pressure, a regular being an afternoon drama or long walk a Saturday play or SNT.

Although the people described in that piece sound like folks I'd go a long way to avoid (given their language describing themselves) it is heartening to think a new generation of avid listener is emerging, I started to actually despair that we were in a terminal decline.
One issue is still in the short term the people now in management positions at the beeb are the muppets brought up in the 80s/90s where reality and soap and "alternative" humour was king, but as thrusting young go getters from the podcast generation replace them, that might be the light at the end of the tunnel.

One thing I learned from that as well, was the Audible Whispersync service sounds BRILLIANT!
Read your book, continue audibly on journey to and from work and settle down with book afterwards... genius!

I have long thought the Beeb are missing a financial goldmine by not putting their vast library online and charging a Spotify type subscription for it, I think the take up would potentially be enormous.

Thanks for the link Ironeyes.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 08:47:04 AM by TallforaDuck »
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 05:45:58 AM »
"I have long thought the Beeb are missing a financial goldmine by not putting their vast library online and charging a Spotify type subscription for it, I think the take up would potentially be enormous." writes TallFor

So long as they had 60 years of licence fee to squander and pillage why should they have cared? With the advent of the internet, suits with bloated ambition left the commercial sector for a stint at Auntie to spy, experiment, pick its bones dry then run off to sell the booty that rightly belongs to the nation! AN OUTRAGE that has left us with NOWT. And the so-called vast library has, to a considerable extent, been dilapidated. It BEGGARS belief!

Thanks for the link IE, I'll follow it up, though frankly, I'm starting to learn how to live without audio!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:11:08 PM by Truthyness »

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 01:30:48 AM »
Been preaching that for years. Radio Dramas and Comedies are perfect for internet/cellphone folk. Also tried to get BBC to offer a pay service for non-UK listeners....but would they listen to me? Nooooooooo!  ;)
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 02:01:50 AM »
They are so busy tending to their own crocked designs, they go sailing past obvious solutions!

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 11:51:46 PM »
 >:(
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....