Author Topic: Is there any intelligent life to contact?  (Read 547 times)

Offline Axel Berger

• View Profile
Is there any intelligent life to contact?
« on: March 09, 2017, 12:55:20 AM »
Last Saturday's AnyQuestions did not make it to the podcast. These things happen. It is now early on Thursday and no-one in that huge organisation has noticed and rectified it yet. That is much harder to understand. But is there not a single RSS and podcast user left, who might have let them know? Well, there's one at least who tried.

In the menu of the BBC site there is an item "contact". Does that yield any contact information at all? Does it? If you do manage to find something after dredging through reams of irrelevant and mind-dumbing "questions" and silly brain dead answers, it is forms to fill in. Form filling is NOT contact and it's totally unacceptable. Yes, there also is a postal address for central management.

Is this good enough?
Axel

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any intelligent life to contact?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 01:51:06 AM »
Dear Axel,
A cry from the heart indeed!
The way of the world ... gone to the dogs !!!

A silly idea from one who would not dignify the process by resorting to it ... nevertheless ... a thought!
Might there be a way of alerting the world, à la Trump: via TWEET, of the BBC's incompetence? Alas I
am ignorant of the procedure but it might work? Or perhaps on the dreaded f.b.

OTOH perhaps someone could record the broadcast and "get it" to you? Not mentioning any names of course, but feel free to P.M.

All very best wishes ...

Tru

Edited later :
Is THIS what you seek?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08g7zv0
I see it is available to download.

Also Googled this :
"Any Questions? (@BBCAnyQuestions) | Twitter
https://twitter.com/bbcanyquestions?lang=en
... Any Questions? & Any Answers? account. If you have any questions or any answers, tweet using #bbcaq, call 03700100444 or email any.answers@bbc.co.uk."

and

"#anyquestions hashtag on Twitter
https://twitter.com/hashtag/anyquestions?lang=en
See Tweets about #anyquestions on Twitter. See what people are saying and join the conversation."

and

"BBC Feedback (@BBCR4Feedback) | Twitter
https://twitter.com/bbcr4feedback?lang=en
3703 tweets • 317 photos/videos • 3458 followers. "What's your Question for @valmcdermid about her drama #RESISTANCE, the collaboration between ..."

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 02:37:19 AM by Truthyness »

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 08:38:10 AM »
Last Saturday's AnyQuestions did not make it to the podcast. These things happen. It is now early on Thursday and no-one in that huge organisation has noticed and rectified it yet. That is much harder to understand. But is there not a single RSS and podcast user left, who might have let them know? Well, there's one at least who tried.

On my screen at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08g7zv0, there is a Download button.

Offline Axel Berger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 12:54:32 PM »
Thanks to both of you. I never thought to look there, as listen again has become mostly dysfunctional and the podcast page still does not show it. (And that page and its scripts only works on the games console, not the machine I work on.) It was not that bad, I'm currently about a month behind in my podcast listening and I expected it to get rectified together with the next episode at the very last.

As to contact, this grumpy middle aged man (the title http://www.grumpyoldsod.com/ is taken) abhors fecesbook and is no twit. Does that make me and my attitudes look even older than the average of Radio 4 listeners? Seems so.

Thanks once again.
As always you're a great and helpful bunch to hang out with.
Axel

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 01:45:38 PM »
Ha! I think ALL of us abhor FB and as fine upstanding citizens how could we possibly qualify ourselves as twits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great hearing from you. Delighted to have been of service and an opinion please :
What do you make of Henning Wehn? (The Unbelievable Truth on R4)

If he ran for P.M. (to replace that hideous unelected May creature) he'd have my vote.

Cheers

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Axel Berger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 03:23:38 PM »
Well, well, well, now I'm even more grateful for your help. Today the two new podcasts arrived all right, but last week's issues are still a glaring gap on the podcast page.

By the way and since I'm here anyway: Some time ago I tried out the drame of the week podcast. One week last September I got the omnibus with episodes 1-5 of the ten episode serial "Blood and Milk", but the second five episodes were never placed there. Might any of you have them? My details can be found at http://berger-odenthal.de.

Danke
Axel

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 02:49:37 PM »
Was hoping you might reply to my question on Henning Wehn ...
Cheers,

I shall not be starc

Offline Axel Berger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 06:16:34 PM »
Sorry to disappoint - I've never heard of him and have found no way to listen to that episode (too stupid, too old an OS, outside UK, all three?)

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 03:32:45 AM »
Nice to think our Henning* is local ... possibly his sense of humour is too British for Europeans! ;-)
If you get a chance keep an ear out for him, he's so very witty.

*he's German ... so I was wondering if he was known over there! But perhaps not!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:34:38 AM by Truthyness »

I shall not be starc

Offline Axel Berger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 12:52:59 PM »
As an old fuddy-duddy Radio 4 listener, who has never owned a TV set all his life, I'm very out of touch with current modern culture. I can tell you what I think of Very Lynn, Zarah Leander, and Lale Anderson, if that helps.

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 01:37:44 PM »
Sorry to disappoint - I've never heard of him and have found no way to listen to that episode (too stupid, too old an OS, outside UK, all three?)

Axel, you have no need to go anywhere except YouTube. There are plenty of examples of his material there for you to sample. He is deservedly very popular here, with a fair amount of his humour featuring both the historical and current politically induced antagonism between our two nations.

BTW, thanks for mentioning him Truthy, there are many clips on YouTube that I haven't seen.

Offline Axel Berger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 02:38:14 PM »
Even more sorry to disappoint again. I'm here in Germany, in Cologne even, and carneval with all its Büttenreden is just over and I finally enjoy the peace and quiet -- until next November that is. On Nov. 11th you pause for a minute of quiet remebrance, other civilized countries give the children sweets in remembrance of Saint Martin (no, not Luther, the other one) and here in Cologne everone gets drunk in the streets on opening the new carneval season. (But I do enjoy having moved into the city from the countryside for all the rest of the year.)

Many years ago, when we were both young, my best friend Andreas spent a night in the drying-out-cell. He had taken his tent and sleeping bag and fled carneval into the lonely woods of the Eifel mountains. It was a lousy night with sleet and winds and everything and he was freezing. So he gathered his stuff and trudged to the next village, where the only lights were that of the police station. He went in "Can I stay here in the warmth? I'm so cold." "You can have that bed and warm up - but if one of those, who it's meant for, turns up, you'll have to leave." He was in luck.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 03:13:34 PM »
Nice tale Axel,
But keep an ear out for Henning if you get the chance, he's one of our national treasures.
BTW I hate tv - radio heads are we and very proud to be. And if I've said it once, I've said it many times.

There's something old fashioned about Henning, or perhaps a touch of the old-school describes it better.
For those of us familiar with Germany perhaps he reflects attitudes there that we admire. His trademark is understated, wry, dry humour that strikes a target with lightening speed & accuracy. In his banter idealism and ethics are never far from the surface. There's an acceptance of the human condition, a gentle wisdom. He's a superb ad-libber. In a fine show of balance he can affectionately caricature the British racist stereo-type all the while confronting that of his native countryman. A tour de force, bringing two cultures closer to understanding one another.

As you can read, I'm a fan.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:16:24 PM by Truthyness »

I shall not be starc

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 03:15:15 PM »
.../... He is deservedly very popular here, with a fair amount of his humour featuring both the historical and current politically induced antagonism between our two nations. .../...

.../... BTW, thanks for mentioning him Truthy, there are many clips on YouTube that I haven't seen.[/color] 

Well summed up.
And thank you for pointing to material of his on YouTube.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:19:46 PM by Truthyness »

I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 12:57:36 AM »
Sorry I'm seeing this one late. I do have all the episodes for Blood and Milk, Axel. I've sent them to you at the e-mail address at the bottom of the page you linked to.

They'll be available to for seven days. If you don't get them by then, let me know and I'll send them again.

Happy Listening! :)

(Sorry guys, I have no idea how to use the PM's or if we even HAVE PM's :P  )
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....