Author Topic: New forum  (Read 817 times)

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New forum
« on: February 08, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »
Hi All,
As you may have noticed, the forum has been migrated to a new system. There were several reasons but most of them are geeky and frankly a bit boring so I won't bore you with them.

Almost everything should have made the jump with us. Your user names and passwords are the same, and all topics/messages have been rebuilt here. One quirk that I've noticed is that private messages seem to have been shortened if they were over a certain length. If anyone had important information in a private message that is now gone, please let me know and I will endeavour to recover the message from a copy of the old forum.

Apart from that, everything we did on the old forum we should be able to do on the new forum, but it may have a different name or the link is somewhere else. Please reply to this thread to share your discoveries with others so we can all find our feet. Obviously anything you think is broken or awkward to use, put that here too and I'll see what I can do.

PS You may have got this email twice, apologies if so.

Cheers
Rick
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 04:00:33 PM by ricklous »

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New forum
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 03:58:14 PM »
It looks very cool Rick, thanks. That must have taken quite some work.
A small quirk of minor importance: the number of posts made by members (features in box lhs screen with info about poster)
Beside my profile I noted a # of around 270 (more or less). I am not sure if that represents a total but as far as I know my posts numbered somewhere between 8 - 9 thousand. Jan was at nearly 20K and Ivor over 12 K perhaps 14K.
The qualifier does help to show how active boarders are.

Thanks for the new playground Rick, I'm looking forward to exploring and using it :-)

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 05:02:06 PM »
Hi Tru,

Glad you found your way in :)

Are you sure you weren't looking at my profile box? I have 290 posts. Your profile box displays "Posts: 8168", unless you're referring to somewhere else on the site?

Offline Tolkny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 07:59:46 PM »
Thanks for keeping going

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 08:46:19 PM »
Rick, I feel that I can't really comment on the new forum design as I still haven't sent you my cheque to help keep the thing going (it will be coming!).

However, there are two things that stick out for me.

1. In all the old messages I have seen that contain an apostrophe (') or quotes (") those marks are now preceded by a backslash (\).

2. The recent messages page is the most important part of the site to me and the old link in my Chrome tab opened up the forum to reveal that page. If I went away from that page, in other areas there was a link back to the page and those links now are gone. In addition, the recent posts now seem to have been relegated to the bottom of the home page, which is illogical to me as I now have to scroll down to read what I feel should be at the top of the page.

3. I've just found out that the Preview button doesn't seem to do anything. 

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 11:10:14 PM »
Are you sure you weren't looking at my profile box? I have 290 posts. Your profile box displays "Posts: 8168", unless you're referring to somewhere else on the site?

My bad Rick,
The Beebotron's migration represents a huge amount of work. Again, thank you so much for keeping the ship afloat. As I said earlier, I am looking forward to discovering it and finding my way about.  :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 11:18:03 PM by Truthyness »

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline tepeethetroll

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 07:53:33 PM »
Hello Rick and thanks for all your work.

I'm with Ironeyes on his points 2 and 3.
I\'m NOT paranoid......thats just what THEY want you to think!!!

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 02:12:10 AM »
The differences between now and before are fading as I grow used to the change. "Points 2 & 3" seem minor.
I'm so glad you have decide to keep The Beebotron forum going Rick  8)

I shall not be starc

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 05:34:08 PM »
The differences between now and before are fading as I grow used to the change. "Points 2 & 3" seem minor.
I'm so glad you have decide to keep The Beebotron forum going Rick  8)

I add my thanks and agreement with this, it may not be a busy part of the internet, but it's an important one to quite a few.
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 05:02:46 PM »
1. In all the old messages I have seen that contain an apostrophe (') or quotes (") those marks are now preceded by a backslash (\).

This is a side effect of the way the messages were imported from one database to another. The backslash tells the database server that it should treat the following apostrophe or quote as part of the text being moved, rather than treating said quote/apostrophe as part of the code that's doing the moving. If that makes sense? I might be able to tidy them up somewhere down the road - a project for a rainy day!

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 05:20:12 PM »
2. The recent messages page is the most important part of the site to me and the old link in my Chrome tab opened up the forum to reveal that page. If I went away from that page, in other areas there was a link back to the page and those links now are gone. In addition, the recent posts now seem to have been relegated to the bottom of the home page, which is illogical to me as I now have to scroll down to read what I feel should be at the top of the page.

I'm working on an equivalent workflow - the 'Recent Messages' from the old forum was the most popular page by far and most peoples entry point, I suspect. There's a similar page here but its not easy to find by default. I've added a button for it to the top row - 'Recent Posts' - which should be visible from anywhere on the site. Also I've remapped the address of the old page to that new page, so if you previously had the old page bookmarked you should end up on the new page.

I'm looking at refining that page also - to my eyes it doesn't 'flow' very well.

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 05:22:34 PM »
Also - The brief  'Recent messages' list on the home page has now been moved above the board index, as it was at the old place.

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 05:35:35 PM »
You're doing a great job Rick. If it were my decision, on the Home page I would condense the individual items under the headings, i.e. Announcements, Help and Support, making them smaller so that there would be space for more than five recent messages to appear at the top. (Or maybe put the Recent Messages in that format on a separate page.)

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 06:00:48 PM »
3. I've just found out that the Preview button doesn't seem to do anything. 

There are two ways to reply to a post - the Quick Reply box below the thread and the Full Reply box which you access by clicking the Reply button. On my machine using Firefox, if I use the Quick Reply then preview, it shunts the page up to show me the preview, but if I use the Full Reply it creates the preview but doesn't shunt the page up for me. Is that's what's happening, do you see a preview if you scroll up?

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 08:52:40 PM »
Sorry Rick, should have done this earlier.

The Preview button is working fine and has done so for at least 48 hours.