Author Topic: New Site  (Read 235 times)

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New Site
« on: February 08, 2017, 10:54:56 AM »
It is slow going learning this new site.

Everything seems to be marked as "new". I may not be responding to posts for awhile, until I figure it out. I'm so old. :/
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New Site
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 04:02:32 PM »
I'm getting the hang of things.
Stick to your guns.
It's rather fun, we've moved from theme Yellow to Green 8)

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 08:51:26 AM »
I must admit to being bloody confused! ???
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 03:04:07 PM »
Hi Tall for.
A site map might be a help. I'll try to dream one up.
For those of us who know the site since way back, I guess it's easier feeling our way around.
If you feel it could help, I'll try to think up a way to describe the structure of the place ... how it got that way.
Whatever questions you have don't hesitate to fire them, perhaps I can help (though sadly am not qualified on technical matters).

We've got to be patient with ourselves. The virtual environment has a habit of surprising the user no matter how much he tries to anticipate.
 ;)

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 04:13:15 PM »
A note to those wanting to announce programmes :

To copy text from BBC site
First copy text in point.
Go into a simple text software such as Notepad
paste
Copy and paste into the reply box at the Beebotron forum.

To create links use the same procedure as on old Beebotron site.
Cheers

I shall not be starc

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 01:40:51 AM »
Hi Rick,
A couple of points if you will allow, about facilitating access to recent messages.
Possibly it is just a case of adjusting user settings the right way. But bear with me if you can:
At the top of the screen page tools icons are listed horizontally, one is for recent messages.
My impression is that if Truthyness clicks the icon only Truthyness's posts are produced.
Conversely, at the Beebotron home page at the bottom is a "recent messages" section and again, my impression is that only recent messages from threads in which a specific user has been involved appear.
I missed a message from Ivor and perhaps other of messages from other posters. So I was trying to puzzle out if there is a way for recent messages to cover all "recent messages" from across the board?

The "recent messages" section at the old site was my home page on my Firefox browser. I don't think I am alone in that. It was rather user-friendly, and ensured Beebotroners didn't miss new posts. It saved the user from having to check each section of the forum and every thread to be sure not to have missed stuff.

It is possible I have missed a feature/setting at the new site that would solve my problem so I'm still searching.

Meantime thanks for any suggestions.
Tru

I shall not be starc

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 09:08:06 AM »
...At the top of the screen page tools icons are listed horizontally, one is for recent messages.
My impression is that if Truthyness clicks the icon only Truthyness's posts are produced.
Conversely, at the Beebotron home page at the bottom is a "recent messages" section and again, my impression is that only recent messages from threads in which a specific user has been involved appear.

When I click the Recent Posts at the top of the page I now get the 10 most recent posts from whoever has sent them, and they are open, ready to read. I preferred the old system where these recent posts were "closed", showing only the topic, sender (avatar), date/time etc with an indication as to whether I had read them or not. It saved space on screen and was a good way for one to see if there was an "interesting" post that one had missed reading.

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 09:13:59 AM »
My last post was the first with the new system, where I used the quote button as i wanted to incorporate part of Truthy's most recent post. As can be seen in my post, the selected quoted words are identified as a quote from another post, but are anonymous as to who the quoted poster was.

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 09:27:32 AM »
Ahh, I've just seen the link under my name on the home page where it says, "Show unread posts since last visit." So, that feature was already active when I made my second to last post and had I taken my time to explore properly, I would have seen it. Maybe I will use that link to make the Beebotron open on that page.

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 09:43:20 AM »
Right, I know I might be expecting too much and I accept that this is only a personal preference, and that I am only one among many, but as I said in my post of today at 09:08:06 AM, if the format on the page with this address, at "https://forum.beebotron.org/index.php?action=unread" could be used on the page with this address, "https://forum.beebotron.org/index.php?action=recent", then I would be more of a happy Beebotroner.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 09:46:10 AM by Ironeyes »