Author Topic: RIP  (Read 621 times)

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
Re: RIP
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 04:55:50 PM »

The shows such as The Good Life and To the Manor Born, dismissed as middle class and twee by the 'Alternative' generation of comedians are still shown and are better appreciated now, whereas the supposed 'Superstars' of that time The Young Ones, Five go Mad, Bottom and so on look horrendously dated and childish... something of a delicious irony and I say that whilst enjoying them at the time the old saying Style is fleeting but Class is eternal pretty much applies.

Mmmm, surely the reasons why The Good Life and To the Manor Born enjoy such longevity with a lot of people is that they had good scripts, AND they were based around real life situations with people one could identify with (up to a point), or at least may have met in the pub. I can't comment on Five Go Live as I seem to have missed them, but The Young Ones and Bottom all had extreme characters and featured totally unreal and bizarre scenarios. I didn't like Bottom but loved The Young Ones and still see it as a shining example of groundbreaking comedy at the time. Of course, it had the benefit of being scripted by Rick Mayall, Lise Mayer AND Ben Elton who has proven his worth with Black Adder and others.

Having mentioned Ben Elton, it's strange to think that of my top three British tv comedies, Only Fools, Fawlty Towers and Black Adder (series 2,3 and 4), it is possible that Black Adder may have the legs on the other two because, being set in the time periods as it was, there is no possibility of it dating. Those beautifully crafted scripts of Ben Elton and Richard Curtis could be making people laugh for many years to come.

Offline Lady Penelope

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 07:56:43 PM »
Bien venue de retour Dear Lady P,

Merci beaucoup, Tru, and hoşbulduk

Thank you also tallforaduck for your greetings, and a belated welcome to you to the Phorum.

It seems to me that there are two theories being put forward here:  one that one's tastes change with age and/or that the public "fashion " in humour changes, the other that people prefer the shows of their youth.   They are not really mutually exclusive.   I find nostalgia certainly influences some of my preferences, not only for a time, but as an expat for a place, which explains for example "To the Manor" though I realise that it is homesickness for an England that no longer exists - if indeed it ever did exist!

However, and here it is probably my own age, but I do feel out of touch with modern humour and can't think of a recent comedy show I really enjoy.

I agree with the need for identifiable characters and situations: personally I get put off by the absurd and must look out my tin hat again as I admit to not liking Fawlty Towers or the Goons.

I am not sure about comedy ageing: some certainly do, but against it is Dad's Army ,  in a generation which often does not even know who Hitler was!   I think DA stands out on its own from all the others, as Tru says a piece of genius.  Can anyone even remember "The Army Game" and the contemporary Allo Allo  is certainly dated.  I think Dad's Army certainly benefits from identifiable characters brilliantly played as well as exceptional script writing.

I think my favourite humour is play on words , viz Yes Prime Minister.   I still laugh out loud every time I see the Ronnies' "Fork Handles" episode and other similar, and I used to love Ronnie Corbet's tales in his armchair.   Also I found Dave Allen ott sometimes, some of his verbal jokes were brilliant.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 08:00:07 PM by Lady Penelope »

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 01:14:57 AM »
Well, we all agree...surely a sign of the apocalypse :P

And it's so very good to hear from you, Lady P.! <3 

I, too, am struggling to find my way on the new forum...spending more time here would help, I'm sure. I've sort of figured a couple of things out in this session. My old brain just doesn't want to play nice with new toys.

I, also, find Laurel and Hardy funny, even now. I Loved Lucy long ago....but gets on my nerves now. God bless that woman! Had it not been for her taking a chance on Star Trek (which she totally did not understand), many scientists and scientific discoveries might never have been. She deserves props just for THAT.

So glad to hear Mary really DID "Turn the world on with her smile".

Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline Lady Penelope

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2017, 02:35:13 PM »
Good to hear from you too Jan..................Sorry I have not written more but the fact is I hardly ever listen to the radio these days.
Just a quick note now to wish you all a Very Happy Easter.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 12:11:50 AM »
Hope you had a Happy Easter, as well, Penny. <3

(Even the Archers?!!! Say it ain't so!)

Offline Lady Penelope

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2017, 07:46:50 PM »
No it ain't so Jan.  I still listen to the Archers it seems to have been a part of my life for so long I would feel lost without it, though it was a real test of loyalty to survive the Helen and Rob Tichener saga!   I tend to fall behind and then thanks to "Listen Again" have a real orgy of catching up on the Omnibus editions!  I take it you remain faithful?

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 08:44:42 PM »
Yes. Can't seem to kick the habit.

I don't want to take over the thread with  Archer-ness, but yes. The Rob and Helen story was difficult to get through. We need to get together and cuss and discuss about that one.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 08:46:13 PM by Janaru »