Author Topic: Tracy-Ann Oberman - Mrs. Robinson, I Presume  (Read 135 times)

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Tracy-Ann Oberman - Mrs. Robinson, I Presume
« on: January 25, 2017, 01:08:42 AM »
Radio 4 - Drama
Mrs Robinson, I Presume
Listen again for 29 days

A new play by Tracy-Ann Oberman, telling the story of the film that changed Hollywood - The Graduate. Starring John Simm as director Mike Nichols.

In 1963, fledgling producer Lawrence Turman read a novel by Charles Webb called The Graduate. He knew he had to make it into a movie, so he optioned it with his own money. He then persuaded Mike Nichols, who had only directed theatre at this point, to direct the film.

Everyone in Hollywood thought they were crazy when they cast the unknown Dustin Hoffman to play Benjamin Braddock, who was described in the book as tall, blond and athletic. But they went their own way and made a classic movie that defined a generation. How they did it and how Gene Hackman, Anne Bancroft and Mel Brooks got involved along the way is the subject of Tracy-Ann Oberman\'s drama.
Tracy-Ann\'s previous work for Radio 4 includes the Afternoon Dramas Bette And Joan And Baby Jane and Rock And Doris And Elizabeth.

Producer: Liz Anstee
A CPL production for BBC Radio 4.

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Tracy-Ann Oberman - Mrs. Robinson, I Presume
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 01:09:59 AM »
Well worth a listen to those of us who were young when it happened : souvenirs souvenirs.
A sense that somewhere the mold was being smashed, facing down the P.C. of the day. To the \"new generation\" the film seemed to empower ... to me and my peers at the time at least. The play sums things up pretty well.

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 01:33:58 AM »
Simply listening to the audio of that film would be enough for me ... think I\'ll record it to listen to in the car!

I shall not be starc

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 08:07:22 AM »
As a sixty year old man it seems rather odd to me to have to admit I have a bit of a crush on Tracy Ann Olberman but it is true she is both rather lovely to look at and very talented to listen to.

I heard this some while back and really really enjoyed it... more than I did the film BUT I think that was immaturity on my part I intend to watch it again soon.

Ms Olberman has written three plays that I am aware of and Hollywood Legends seems to be her fascination the first was about Rock Hudsons death and Doris Day and Elizabeth Taylors support for him, the third ones details escape me. (I just looked her up and apparently it\'s Bette and Joan and Baby Jane)

\'The Attractive Young rabbi\' was my first introduction to her as an Actress it seems a bit dated and almost twee now but it encapsulates the gentle and unthreatening era of radio comedy... a sort of Simon Brett light.

She was also in the first few series of \'Brief Lives\' another series I enjoyed about a Manchester based solicitors not quite as abrasive a series as \'Stone\' and starring the always excellent David Schofield.

In short I endorse this message.
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 03:38:45 PM »
Strange you should evoke Oberman and Hudson, watched bits of A Farewell to Arms (Hemingway) yesterday, what a \"cauliflower\" that film was to be sure! A load of utter rubbish, which nonetheless throws into relief the stunning beauty of THE man. Quite breathtaking.

Oberman\'s talents are astonishing. Always jump at the chance to listen to anything she is involved with.

I shall not be starc

Offline tepeethetroll

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 05:01:50 PM »
I seem to remember Tracey-Ann being in one or two episodes of \"Old Harry\'s Game\", but more than that I recall she was the South African hottie Chantel in \"Getting Nowhere Fast\".
I\'m NOT paranoid......thats just what THEY want you to think!!!

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 06:51:29 PM »
And there\'s an unforgettable moment with her in that series if memory serves right!

tepeethetroll Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but more than that
> I recall she was the South African hottie Chantel
> in \"Getting Nowhere Fast\".

I shall not be starc

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 09:19:13 PM »
I wasn\'t aware of that I first really noticed her as love interest of Nicholas Lyndhurst  in the long running TV show New Tricks.
-------------------------------------------------------
> I seem to remember Tracey-Ann being in one or two
> episodes of \"Old Harry\'s Game\", but more than that
> I recall she was the South African hottie Chantel
> in \"Getting Nowhere Fast\".
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 12:39:38 PM »
....the third ones details escape me. (I just looked her up and apparently it\'s Bette and Joan and Baby Jane)

I remember this one. I enjoyed it quite a bit, as I recall.

She was also in the first few series of \'Brief Lives\' another series I enjoyed about a Manchester based solicitors not quite as abrasive a series as \'Stone\'

Yes, I enjoy this one, too. I would think this one might be a little closer to Tru\'s taste than Stone.
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....