Author Topic: GF Newman\'s The Corrupted - Series 3 1/10  (Read 233 times)

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
GF Newman\'s The Corrupted - Series 3 1/10
« on: January 07, 2017, 01:32:03 AM »
Radio 4
Episode 1
GF Newman\'s The Corrupted, Series 3 Episode 1 of 10

Monday January 9th @ 14.05
Available to listen : 30 days

It\'s the 1970\'s and Brian Oldman is still in jail - desperate to get out. Joseph Oldman (Toby Jones) is pulling every corrupt string possible to help him.

GF Newman\'s The Corrupted weaves fiction with real characters from history, following the fortunes of the Oldman family - from small-time business and opportunistic petty crime, through gang rivalries, to their entanglement in the highest echelons of society. It\'s a tale revealing the nexus of crime, business and politics woven through the fabric of 20th century greed as even those with hitherto good intentions are sucked into a web of corruption.

Joey Oldman, an uneducated Jewish child immigrant from Russia, has a natural instinct for business and a love of money - coupled with a knack for acquiring it. His wife Cath is as ruthless in both the pursuit of money and the protection of her son, Brian. Joey built his empire with the help of a corrupt bank manager in the 1950s, starting with small greengrocer shops before moving into tertiary banking and property development, dealing with many corrupt policemen on the way - and befriending both Lord Goodman and Margaret Thatcher.

Written by G F Newman
Produced and Directed by Clive Brill
A Brill production for BBC Radio 4.

To recap on series 1 & 2 scroll down the Wikipedia information about the author page.

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: GF Newman\'s The Corrupted - Series 3 1/10
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 05:31:47 PM »
Ruddy bloody good!

Gotta back track though to refresh memory on the denouement ... goody goody.

He\'s saucily irreverent with this series, I can almost guess where the future ones will go.

His deal with the Beeb was 10 series or NOWT! So he is likely scribbling away as we tune in to this latest series.

Jan if you need access to the older eps P.M.

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 07:40:47 PM »
Will do. I think I have them though....at least most of them.
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 11:26:25 PM »
Up to 4th ep now ... cruising along right up to standard. Truly good entertainment. So impressive.

I shall not be starc

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 07:02:16 PM »
Yes, most entertaining. Up to episode seven now but I have just a few quibbles.

1. The repetition of Brian reminding himself to refer to his \"father\" as Joseph rather than Joey was irritating.

2. Brian saying, \"But there I go again, getting ahead of myself.\", or similar at the end of every episode gets on my nerves.

3. By involving real people with fictional characters, the production raises many questions to me as to how corrupt or otherwise the real people were.

Having said that, I shall look forward to hearing the rest of series 3 and hope one day to catch up with the first two series plus any that follow.

Truthy, now that you know what the characters sound like, you can enjoy series 2 by reading the scripts, which you can find here:- Series 2.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 02:40:13 AM »
\"How I came to be writing GF Newman\'s The Corrupted is one of those happy co-incidences. Again, it was as a result of a book I\'d written back in 2009 called \'Crime and Punishment\' (the publisher advised me against the title because of a novel of the same name by some Russian upstart, but I knew best!) Clive Brill, who I\'d worked with many years before on a two-part television drama called The Healer, had an acting role in my television series Judge John Deed, and along with a number of actors he came along to the book launch, and carried away a copy! The book is what I call the \'fictional\' history of crime from WW2 to Mrs Thatcher\'s election. (Book two will take us to present time.) The fictional family at its heart gets involved with various real people, criminals like the Krays and the Richardsons and with corrupt and corrupting businessmen and lawyers like Emil Savundra and Arnold Goodman, corrupt detectives such as George Fenwick and Ken Drury, and politicians like Tom Driberg and Harold Wilson, John Profumo and Lord Boothby. Clive, who produces radio and film, thought it would make great radio and asked how many episodes it would make. He laughed when I said at least 60. He soon realised I was serious.\"

For more details

I shall not be starc

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 03:00:05 AM »
Can we assume you have followed the previous series?

In this age of virtually ZERO quality content and even if the serial had aired in an age of MAXIMUM quality content, The Corrupted qualifies as being the closest thing to FUN*** the Beeb has offered listeners since the Sherlock Holmes productions, with or without your quibbles!

*** Due most particularly to the audacity of the denouement that causes a few raised eyebrows and sparks your question (see (3)). Furthermore, still in connection with point 3, where does that leave productions like House of Cards? And in a broader context since cards are mentioned, TRUMP and the entire US system! But I digress! At what point does fiction become fact? Is Trump corrupt -as allegedly were father and grand father before him? Now we are in the Trump era, perhaps such considerations should be prohibited, and fiction banned ... and fact along with it!

Would you like satirists to be silenced or parody to be prevented?

Thanks for the script link. If access to series 1 & 2 are of interest, there are many some on these boards who might help via P.M.

I shall not be starc

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 11:45:11 AM »
Truthyness Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can we assume you have followed the previous series?

No, first I heard of The Corrupted was your OP above on the 7th of this month.

> In this age of virtually ZERO quality content and even if the serial had aired in an age of MAXIMUM quality content, The
> Corrupted qualifies as being the closest thing to FUN*** the Beeb has offered  listeners since the Sherlock Holmes
> productions, with or without your quibbles!

No argument with most of that.

> *** Due most particularly to the audacity of the > denouement that causes a few raised eyebrows and > sparks your
> question (see (3)). Furthermore, still in connection with point 3, where does that leave productions like House of Cards?

I might be wrong, but I can\'t recall the UK House of Cards (haven\'t seen the US version) having any character who was a real person. I think I prefer to have fact and fiction separated. For instance, I would be happy to hear about Thatcher\'s rise to power being helped by a villain, with a \'son\' and brother-in-law who were both criminals, in a factual book/programme, but when it appears in a serious(?) work of fiction, I\'m left a little uneasy.

> Would you like satirists to be silenced or parody to be prevented?

Of course not, but for those who don\'t know, The Corrupted is neither described as satire nor parody.

> Thanks for the script link. If access to series 1 & 2 are of interest, there are many some on these boards who might help via P.M.

OK, thanks.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 02:57:41 PM »
\"for those who don\'t know, The Corrupted is neither described as satire nor parody.\"

There is always Google for anyone who might entertain doubts! Not to mention the BBC\'s own detailed references (see link I gave up thread)

But I\'d forgotten about that heinous son of Hers! She behaved disgracefully throughout his escapades. I especially love the audacious reference to real characters in The Corrupted. It adds punch and fleshes out the bones of the fiction. Love it to bits.

\"Post Truth\" era, roll on! (what a totally rubbishy concept that is!)

I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 12:28:46 PM »
Now we are in the Trump era, perhaps such considerations should be prohibited, and fiction banned ... and fact along with it!

He\'s working on that now. :X

\"Post Truth\" era, roll on! (what a totally rubbishy concept that is!)

That\'s \"Alternative Facts\", to you, darling.#-o  (Can\'t keep up with their bloody Newspeak!)
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 01:47:04 PM »
I have now listened to series three and thought it excellent as before, but to my ears it had toned down both the language and some of the content, that isn\'t a complaint merely an observation.

Cath... sorrry Catherine is a fairly repugnant character (who isn\'t in it though?) lacking in charm,, morals or self awareness, her slavish devotion to Brian is both nauseating, but unfortunately not unrealistic. (If TV soaps are to be believed).

I find it particularly fascinating outwith the drama, as the majority of the named real people, I had heard tales of scandal pertaining to them, but of course in those days the Establishment were better with a brush and bucket of whitewash.

It\'ll be especially interesting to me in the next series if the author alludes to child sex scandals the way he has up until now,  I am aware of at LEAST seven ex Thatcher cabinet ministers including a husband and wife and various other MPs of all parties who have been investigated and although not charged, the stench still permeates around them.

Famously or should that be infamously the Jersey and Northern Irish Childrens\' homes stories still sit on the back boiler, it seems that the intelligence services are playing the waiting game, (waiting till the suspects die it seems) and given that more than one head of intelligence services has been named by certain websites who pursue this story, no one has been brought to book over it either yet.

Interesting that the site owners have not been charged either.

Fine writer that Mr Newman is, if this is how he perceives the world, all shade and precious little light, then I am thankful I am not him, I am however grateful that his ire contempt and disgust seems to know no partisan boundaries he\'s happy to stick the boot into anyone he feels is culpable.

L look forward to the continuation of this series, he wanted ten but I believe they settled on six with the possibility of a seventh.
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 03:31:12 PM »
Was waiting for your take on the new series. Thanks and very well said.

I shall not be starc

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 03:49:37 PM »
\"Alternative truth\" = Trump era (though personally, I prefer \"post-truth\", more pretentious and sums things up neatly imo;-)) \"feel it in my guts\" = Dubya era. 8-) What next! shudder shudder.

What scares the livin daylights outta me is the mainstream\'s efforts to shore the orange up come hell or high water (shades of 1930ies). Bums towards THE ESTABLISHMENT/Mecca. Mustn\'t disrupt, upset the boat. RESPECT THE SYSTEM!
Sends me rushing for that pillow to SCREAM into!

Watched a documentary suggesting that one third Christian Americans: Evangelists, believe Mother Earth was created 10 000 years ago. and teach the same in private schools! Dunno if that\'s true but ::o

Janaru Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now we are in the Trump era, perhaps such
> considerations should be prohibited, and fiction
> banned ... and fact along with it!

>
> He\'s working on that now. :X
>
>
>
>
> \"Post Truth\" era, roll on! (what a totally
> rubbishy concept that is!)

>
> That\'s \"Alternative Facts\", to you, darling.#-o
> (Can\'t keep up with their bloody Newspeak!)

I shall not be starc

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 05:15:46 PM »
I was talking to a nephew whose kids go to school in S.Carolina I was pleased and mildly amazed SC wasn\'t as widespread as I thought. I was a bit shocked to find out that hundreds of private schools nationwide get tax payers dollars by way of vouchers or scholarships.

What is mildly terrifying is that Tennessee and Louisiana allow State funded schools to teach a version of it  or at least give an alternative to evolution. #-o

The obvious States such as Ohio, Georgia, Florida and Texas, are the main offenders but Illinois was a bit of a surprise to me.

These stats relate only the ones that get tax payer subsidies, I haven\'t the figures for totally privately funded schools.

I do remember that when this particular nephew was growing up in Texas, he had a friend at a Private School who was taught the Bishop Ussher timeline which stated that the Earth was created October 23rd 4004 bc... and for accuracy at 9.am   :S
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 01:40:20 PM »
Just seeking clarification on SC (sorry TF but I\'m a bit thick!)

I shall not be starc