Author Topic: Hugh Costello - Angela 7 Days to Save Europe  (Read 144 times)

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hugh Costello - Angela 7 Days to Save Europe
« on: December 17, 2016, 04:31:26 AM »
Radio 4

Angela - 7 Days to Save Europe
Drama
Listen again for 27 days

Following the nominations for France\'s Presidential elections, Europe\'s political mainstream has been rocked by the rising popularity of Marine Le Pen\'s far right, Front National. Hugh Costello\'s play imagines a political pact forged between French Republicans and Angela Merkel\'s Christian Democrats, aimed at limiting Le Pen\'s ascendency and preserving the European Union. But as with all pacts there is more politicking than there first appears. Whilst preservation of the Union is high on the agenda, it\'s the survival of Angela Merkel in Germany\'s forthcoming elections which is the real goal of our key player, Heike Menzel (Haydn Gwynne).

Writer ..... Hugh Costello
Producer ..... Eoin O\'Callaghan.

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Costello - Angela 7 Days to Save Europe
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 04:41:23 AM »
If it weren\'t so pathetic it might pass for comical!
UK Brexits, but stubbornly continues trying to keep it\'s hand on the rudder of Good Ship Europe!
A somewhat feeble attempt at manipulation via the Auntie Propaganda machine and no hint of a blush in the process ... quite unashamed even if mere wishful thinking!

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 08:57:36 AM »
It\'s disappointing you should trash both Stone AND Hugh Costello, I am currently working my way through the entirety of McLevy, having listened to the five series of Stone just before that. Series 6 is next up and Costello is one of my favourite playwrights.

Having listened to Stone back to back to back, I still think it\'s very good listening, especially by recent output from the beeb, but you do realise in this way, Stone, however effective, is an impossible man to like.

As for Costello, I\'m not sure I would agree with your assessment (I am not certain I actually understand it, having not heard the play) but everything he writes is from an anti establishment point of view, usually ALMOST balanced, but with his own particularly Irish take on things, despite him having worked for the BBC nothing he has written before suggests he would be a mouthpiece for them.

I usually am pretty sypatico with both you and Jan so it\'ll be interesting to listen and form my own opinion, given this ongoing dearth of real quality plays, it is a slightly depressing time for us avid listeners, the fact I have a decent library to fall back on is scant comfort, as I listen to between 4-6 hours  a day and without a steady stream, it wont take long to catch up.

Add to that the ever dwindling sites catering to audio drama. I am mildly depressed now.
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 11:55:42 PM »
Hugh Costello is a fine writer I agree.
As for the kitchen sink, I wasn\'t remotely motivated by liking or disliking Stone\'s personality, it was the all round low quality of the 2nd ep that clinched things. The first attempt was only just worth cocking half an ear to; the 2nd left me annoyed to have wasted the time. It\'s a question of horses for courses TallFor ...  There\'ll be other things we both enjoy I don\'t doubt. B)-

I shall not be starc

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 08:38:42 AM »
Fair enough A, I believe, obviously like you, just because your previous quality has been high, it shouldn\'t excuse you from criticism if the quality slips, far to often people get by on reputation, it was definitely better when Brocklehurst was writing them.

As for Costello, I guess the same applies, possibly because I share a perspective, ethnicity and interest in the subject, maybe I am not as critical as I should be usually if his name, Simon Bovey or  Baczkiewicz is on the drama I expect it will be good. I only have thirteen more episodes of McClevy to listen to before I get to them, I will report back.
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 02:17:59 PM »
Thanks for underlining the all important fact that Stone Series 5 isn\'t written by Brocklehurst. I\'ll keep an ear out for the ones the creator penned himself and let you know.

I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 10:22:21 AM »
I like Stone, too, Tallfora, but I wasn\'t too keen on these. I\'ll definitely be interested in your take.
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 02:45:30 PM »
I went to the Gym yesterday and listened to this finally, I\'m not sure I heard it the same as you, my take was different what I can agree with though is that it was DREADFUL.

I used to have a small crush on Haydn Gwynne when she was in Drop the Dead Donkey, she is perfectly competent at delivering her lines but this is by some distance the worst Costello play I\'ve ever heard, I actually wondered if he\'d done a Salvador Dali in letting an acolyte write it for him and simply added his signature to it.

I didn\'t feel it was as Machiavellian regarding our involvement, but that\'s perfectly possible that I have not grasped the characters perfectly, but it was such a dogs breakfast of a play I really can\'t be arsed to go back and listen again to check it.

I am not sure I can think of ANY play  that has such an underwhelming ending.

Another worth listening with the windows open to allow the stink out.
-------------------------------------------------------
> If it weren\'t so pathetic it might pass for
> comical!
> UK Brexits, but stubbornly continues trying to
> keep it\'s hand on the rudder of Good Ship Europe!
> A somewhat feeble attempt at manipulation via the
> Auntie Propaganda machine and no hint of a blush
> in the process ... quite unashamed even if mere
> wishful thinking!
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 03:22:57 PM »
Well said TallFor and I can\'t for the life of me even remember that rubbish ending ;-)

I shall not be starc