Author Topic: Danny Brocklehurst : Stone/Disclosure 1 of 4  (Read 336 times)

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Danny Brocklehurst : Stone/Disclosure 1 of 4
« on: December 17, 2016, 01:16:32 AM »
Radio 4
Disclosure
Drama, Stone Episode 1 of 4

4 days to Listen Again

First episode of the sixth series of Stone created by Danny Brocklehurst.
In Disclosure written by Richard Monks DCI John Stone and his team are called to a school following a suspected arson attack that has lead to the death of the caretaker of the school. As their investigation deepens they uncover threats, blackmail and dark secrets.

Directed by Nadia Molinari.

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Danny Brocklehurst : Stone/Disclosure 1 of 4
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 04:28:50 AM »
1st episode was bearable but verging on the tabloid tacky.
2nd ep was kitchen sink and otherwise generally incomprehensible gobbledygook!
WOTUD*

*Waste of time unless desperate!

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 02:27:21 PM »
In the interest of thread cohesion part of a thread posted elsewhere but relevant to this topic is pasted below:
B)-

TallforaDuck wrote :

\"It\'s disappointing you should trash both Stone AND Hugh Costello, I am currently working my way through the entirety of McLevy, having listened to the five series of Stone just before that. Series 6 is next up and Costello is one of my favourite playwrights.

Having listened to Stone back to back to back, I still think it\'s very good listening, especially by recent output from the beeb, but you do realise in this way, Stone, however effective, is an impossible man to like.

As for Costello, I\'m not sure I would agree with your assessment (I am not certain I actually understand it, having not heard the play) but everything he writes is from an anti establishment point of view, usually ALMOST balanced, but with his own particularly Irish take on things, despite him having worked for the BBC nothing he has written before suggests he would be a mouthpiece for them.

I usually am pretty sypatico with both you and Jan so it\'ll be interesting to listen and form my own opinion, given this ongoing dearth of real quality plays, it is a slightly depressing time for us avid listeners, the fact I have a decent library to fall back on is scant comfort, as I listen to between 4-6 hours a day and without a steady stream, it wont take long to catch up.

Add to that the ever dwindling sites catering to audio drama. I am mildly depressed now.\"

Truthyness replied :

Hugh Costello is a very fine writer I agree.
As for the kitchen sink, I wasn\'t remotely motivated by liking or disliking the personality of Stone, it was the all round low quality of the 2nd ep that clinched things. The first attempt was only just worth cocking half an ear to; the 2nd left me annoyed to have wasted the time. It\'s a question of horses for courses TallFor ... There\'ll be other things we both enjoy I don\'t doubt.

TallForADuck replied :
\"Fair enough A, I believe, obviously like you, just because your previous quality has been high, it shouldn\'t excuse you from criticism if the quality slips, far to often people get by on reputation, it was definitely better when Brocklehurst was writing them.

As for Costello, I guess the same applies, possibly because I share a perspective, ethnicity and interest in the subject, maybe I am not as critical as I should be usually if his name, Simon Bovey or Baczkiewicz is on the drama I expect it will be good. I only have thirteen more episodes of McClevy to listen to before I get to them, I will report back.\"

Truthyness replied :
Thanks for underlining the all important fact that Stone Series 5 isn\'t written by Brocklehurst. I\'ll keep an ear out for the ones he penned himself and let you know.

I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 10:23:26 AM »
....and then Janaru said, she wasn\'t too keen on these, either. :)
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 02:00:26 PM »
Happy New Year all!

Have completed McLevy, walking the dog (Alan) in pitch dark over the field, when that atmospheric and haunting flute plays... Marvellous!

I think McLevy qualifies as the finest Radio drama I\'ve ever heard.

Moving on to Stone, well, the quality is not comparable BUT I really didn\'t think the dip was noticeable from the last series.

Stone has its faults, mainly that  it\'s obvious, clunky and the language is geared at a much younger audience. The fact that this aged audience are only a small part of the radio drama fans, seems to have escaped them.

The show is definitely more \'broad strokes\' since Brocklehurst stopped writing them, but I am surprised now that I have listened to them at the ire they provoked.
The second episode in particular, although the characters were pretty generic, due to me working in many and varied schools, I certainly recognised them. Depressingly but predictably, given the amount I come into contact with, I have met a few who have gone down this path and worse. A teacher I worked with three times a year for a number of years at one of the most prestigious schools in Britain, is currently serving fourteen years, I wish he was an isolated case... he\'s not.

I agree that the newest series isn\'t something I would heartily recommend, but if there is a series seven, I think I would still listen, that may be more to do with the lack of quality in the current output more that my confidence in Stone, but I retain a sneaking admiration for writers that don\'t try and make their characters likeable, however, because of this debate, I am starting to doubt that this is deliberate and if it isn\'t it may bear out the opposite of my views.
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 07:06:26 PM »
Ok but likeability of character has NOWT to do with the issue imo TF and that\'s not the first time I\'ve said that in connection wit that particular BBC effort and your comments on it. I found it to be junky, poorly, very poorly performed and produced, all the while combining the over plugged dreary politically correct aspects hammered down our throats these days: simply not worth dignifying it with an ear ... well not mine at least!

Naturally scarcity of content is what drives us to tune in to some of the stuff aired on the BBC.

Did you follow the 3 part drama this week a Danish effort adapted from Christian Jungerssen The Exception. Human rights hostage issues. A gripping psycho-drama at heart, atmospheric, well acted but conveying bi-polar lunacy in a play-back-and-forth over the air creates havoc with coherence. Too disjointed to hit its mark. Listener is left in an erm ... ye what? type of state. Despite the insightful dialogue, interesting and topical issues raised, the brave attempt falls down hitting its chin on the step! A pity. I tuned in for lack of choice. :S

The book otoh, likely makes a good read.

I shall not be starc

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 09:56:37 PM »
No,I didn\'t see that, I will look out for it I haven\'t properly checked the schedules, I have skimmed it and found precious little of interest.

I must say I personally didn\'t hear or think there was much political correctness in Stone, certainly not out of proportion to my everyday life, I may be becoming impervious to a lot of it, I certainly come up against plenty in my job and it is something I detest along with you, I suppose it must be a perception thing.

On a happier note, I recently discovered a site I\'m sure you are all already au fait with, it has a couple of hundred OTR Saturday Night Theatres on it, many I\'d not heard before and they are a joy!

The thing that strikes you most is the 90 minute format allows for much better opportunity to develop plot and character and somehow, they in the main seem so much more satisfying.

Although there are many I have enjoyed there are some absolute stinkers, the clipped soulless received pronunciation of some DREADFUL acting,is incredibly painful, but the good far outnumber the bad.

I fear I have gently slipped into that fogeyish, \"Everything was better in our days\" Mentality ( In December, I reached the age where my prescriptions are now free), and despite being self aware, it\'s difficult to see where that is wrong, certainly in the Radio Drama world.
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 10:28:05 PM »
Ha, T.F. much to agree with in the above TF, especially the \"better in our day\" mantra! It\'s a funny thing but I seem to be in touch with quite a few young people who hold values similar to \"ours\". That cheers me up no end ;-)

I only listened to two or so of the Stone eps ... so perhaps I\'ll give them another go when they next come round.

I remember that I didn\'t enjoy the crime epic you kindly sent about generations of an East-end family till well into the series. So there\'s hope.

:)-D

I shall not be starc

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 11:26:09 PM »
Ooh! that reminds me, I must look up when the next series of \'The Corrupted\' is due like you say difficult listening but well worth the effort I am not sure Stone is remotely close to that or worth the effort. It\'s odd, listening to it, I was thinking it was the same standard, now discussing it, I am having doubts #-o, it had no stand out episodes that\'s for sure.

I have just started the Charles Paris shows out walking this evening.  Bill Nighy is his usual charming self, there are some wonderfully \'Brett\' like phrases for him to deliver, my favourite is the description of mushy peas to an American, \"It shares DNA with peas, but has the consistency of a Kermit veloute\" :D but it also feels slightly below par.

I wonder if we\'re starting to be over critical and expecting to much, or is it poor direction?

It\'s still better than 95% of the Beeb output.
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 11:39:34 PM »
I think McLevy qualifies as the finest Radio drama I\'ve ever heard.

It\'s right up there for me too, TF. Love me some McLevy!

I agree that the newest series isn\'t something I would heartily recommend, but if there is a series seven, I think I would still listen, that may be more to do with the lack of quality in the current output more that my confidence in Stone...

Yes, I would listen, as well. I like it enough to stick with it. Although it wasn\'t one of the best in that series, for sure, I didn\'t find it nearly as bad as Tru did.

I really wish they\'d go back to dramas for pure entertainment instead of using them as \"Teachable Moments\". Most of the BBC output is \"Teachable Moments\", surely they could spare forty-five minutes a day just for fun. (:P)

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 11:41:17 PM »
It\'s still better than 95% of the Beeb output.

Indubitably.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 11:51:59 PM »
\"nearly as bad as Tru did\" hang on hang on, as I\'ve said repeatedly, I\'d never heard of Stone or anything about he/she/it! Just tuned in out of curiosity, desperate for something to listen to. Perhaps ALL the previous series were towering and brilliant. The problem, I suspect, is as TF mentioned, that the episodes and series I stumbled across were NOT written by the man who created them initially.

The thing about McLevy was it was so well thought out, we had regional colour, Victorian historic context, romance, puritanism, spice, mischief and above all, the secret to success: character coherence. The protagonists clicked, it worked. It was FUN! So enter the clumsy suits upstairs chez Auntie, adhering to the opposite of the maxim \"if it ain\'t broke don\'t fix it\" so they swatted it dead!

Sigh.

I shall not be starc

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 08:23:35 AM »
Ah!, that makes more sense I thought you had as I know Jan was familiar with it... if that was your first taste of it... well no wonder your reaction.

Quote from: \"The thing about McLevy was it was so well thought out, we had regional colour, Victorian historic context, romance, puritanism, spice, mischief and above all, the secret to success: character coherence. The protagonists clicked, it worked. It was FUN!\"

Absolutely ,word for word what I believe (more eloquently put than me) and the more I think about the ending the more I think it was a stroke of genius.

To make it satisfying to all and keep it believableand in keeping with the whole previous episodes was no mean feat.

I read an article about how David Ashton would give the skunk eye to anyone who suggested even a minor change to his dialogue, this might sound overly precious but on hearing it he was right IMO, even Brian Cox would be put in his place and I don\'t know if you were aware (I wasn\'t) but Cox lives in New York and he would pay his own fare back to Scotland to record the series. I think that gives an indication of his opinion and commitment to it.

Mind you, I read an article which suggested he was the actor who earned the most money in the world last year :)-D it certainly wont have been from BBC Radio ($46 million dollars in Investments and property it said).

The decision to end it was madness, no two ways about it.
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 08:59:03 AM »
Quote from: \"> Ooh! that reminds me, I must look up when the next > series of \'The Corrupted\' is due.\"

I just looked this up and it starts a new ten part series this Monday 9th at 14:15 (:P)
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 02:02:12 PM »
I say TallFor, that IS good news!

I shall not be starc