Author Topic: Selectable Themes  (Read 188 times)

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Selectable Themes
« on: February 13, 2017, 08:40:46 AM »
There is now a new theme to choose from, and an easy way to switch between the two currently available.

The theme defines the layout, colour scheme, and general format of what you see on screen. There is a new drop-down box at the bottom-right of every page on the site, and it can be used to switch between themes. Don't do this half-way through writing a post, as it reloads the page you're currently viewing. Other than that, its easy to switch so try them out!

Of the two we can choose from currently, there is 'Reboot' and 'Blue Star'

Reboot
This is the current default, with the wide green bars and the white menu across the top. For some reason, when on this theme, quotes don't display the quoted persons name (I'm trying to fix this). You may prefer this theme if you're on a small screen as it automatically changes to accommodate your screen size. For example, the menu bar at the top becomes a drop-down menu if it doesn't have enough space to show all the buttons.

Blue Star
I prefer this theme and may make it the default if the majority like it over Reboot. It has a generally blue colour scheme and an easier to read, more consistent look to it than Reboot does (in my opinion, anyway). I find it easier to skim-read with this theme. It also displays the name of the quoted person in a quote. It doesn't adjust itself to smaller screen sizes.

There is a large library of themes available here and its reasonably trivial to add a new theme for us to use so if anyone spots one they would prefer to use, please reply to this thread and I'll make them available from the drop-down.

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
Re: Selectable Themes
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 11:05:03 AM »
Oh blimey Rick, what have you done?

I have had a look at a lot of the themes on the Simple Machines site and have found a few that I like, but I think to be completely happy (if only!) I might have to try and design my own. As there is a tutorial on the site to help the individual do this, I am tempted to dip my toe in the water, however this is somewhat daunting, as apart from playing with VBA in Excel, I have not done any 'programming' since the days of BASIC.

Strangely, the colour scheme that pleases me most on the Simple Machines site is their own one, which i think is called Curve Minimal.     

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 11:19:55 PM »
Terrific!
I lean to the blue too Rick. For me the curve seemed a bit insipid though it might depend on the graphics card and settings of individual computers. I'm using a Compaq. I hardly ever resort to my HP notebook and never got round to getting an iPad or tablet.

One comment about replying to messages if you hit "quote" you seem to get the entire thread inside your message! Is that just me again or could it be a gremlin?

Cheers
P.S.: I tried inserting a few images in response to Ivor's pun thread but couldn't work out how to. Possibly because there's a limitation at the host server? Or is the "attachments and other options" the place to explore?

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 10:18:59 AM »
Thanks for making the Curve theme available Rick. It's so relaxing whilst having a professional and polished feel to it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:21:37 AM by Ironeyes »

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 12:30:46 PM »
Rick, just a detail if you'll allow :
Dunno if it is just my screen settings or what, just that it occurs to me that an area for potential enhancement is demarcation between individual messages in a thread.
Separation between each message could be more distinctive (colour or line or background?) imo. I've found I was somewhat confused and didn't quickly distinguish between start or end of individual posts. To me they seem to blend into one another. Wonder if I am alone on this?
Possibly there might be a tweak of some kind to adjust that?

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc