Author Topic: Move completed  (Read 107 times)

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Move completed
« on: September 15, 2016, 10:46:35 AM »
Hi,

Baring some small details, we\'re now fully functional on the new host, and you should be able to post again.

Thanks all
Rick

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Move completed
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 11:40:44 AM »
Thanks you for being such a great site Captain Rick and for the hard grind, backbone and generosity. My cc went walkabout for a short while ... problem is in the throes of getting sorted at which time Beebotron support I promised earlier will come through. Thanks for your patience.

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 02:29:05 PM »
Thanks so much, Rick. :)
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline jfacchione

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 05:26:21 AM »
I make extensive use of the Drama Listings Pagebut since the server move, it\'s giving a 404 error.

Before I discovered the beebotron, I tried my hand at scraping the links from bbc.co.uk and making such a page myself, but it\'s quite complicated, so Rick, I\'m in awe of your programming powers!  I imagine you must scrape several dozen BBC pages to get that information, unless you have some other better-formatted source for that data.

Might you take a look at this page and see if you can restore it?

My life is immeasurably improved by this site.  It saves me hours a week that would be spent navigating the slow and cumbersome BBC website.  Thanks so much!

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 11:15:55 AM »
So nice to read your post J. Welcome aboard. And thanks for saying what needs to be said about Rick. Hope the issue will be fixed soon.

Tru

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 11:45:23 AM »
The Drama page is back up. The genre pages (and anything under the /public3 url) runs off the older system for querying the BBC and I hadn\'t re-enabled them. I\'ve switched them and all the local stations back on as currently the newer system (anything under /listings) doesn\'t have local stations or genres.

Thankfully, the BBC provides other sources for the data we need, so we don\'t need to screen-scrape. I think the very first version of the Beebotron, written by Kronalias, did so but even way back then it was a painful method. I imagine today trying to scrape the iPlayer would be nigh on impossible!

Theres some junk text being produced at the end of the drama page, and possibly others, but functionally it seems to work fine on our new host. I\'ll try to iron things out gradually.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 11:40:50 AM »
Bless you! I was just going to ask about the genre pages, as I use them the most, and was wondering if they were gone for good. Thanks JF for inquiring about them.

And and extra special thank you, Rick, for making them functional again. :D

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 11:46:08 AM »
You know, I did have one question, Rick. On the v.4 page, I click on \"BBC Listen Again - iPlayer Pop-out Links\" then \"Radio 4 FM Listen Again\" and when the links come up there are at least two for each listing. Is it supposed to do that? And if so, what is the purpose of the different links?

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 11:56:16 AM »
Good question!

The data source that feeds the v4 pages often has these duplicates in them. I *think* it\'s a result of an episode being broadcast twice during the time it\'s available on the iPlayer but to be honest I\'ve not dug into it too deeply yet. I\'ve tried to merge them before they hit the listing pages but didn\'t manage it during the original re-write. I\'ll revisit it eventually.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 12:07:08 PM »
Ahh. That\'s probably exactly right. I hadn\'t thought of that.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 12:11:00 PM »
I\'ve also noticed that sometimes it gives links for programs that haven\'t aired yet. No big deal, just thought you might want to know.

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 12:32:51 PM »
Well spotted...again, thats down to the BBC creating the data feed before the content is in place. If you look at the equivalent HLS link pages, those links have a \"Not available till 11:00am on Thu 22nd(GMT)\" disclaimer. I\'ve obviously forgot to carry that code over to the othe listings pages #-o

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 12:42:30 PM »
I\'m surprised with the amount of work you\'ve had to do that\'s the only thing you\'ve missed! I\'d never have been able to do all that.

Like I said, it\'s no big deal. Thanks again for all your hard work. It really is appreciated. :)-D