Author Topic: Time to move house  (Read 301 times)

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Time to move house
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 11:19:46 PM »
ricklous Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It sounds like Tru has much more important
> priorities to concentrate on...

!!!!!!!
::o
Who me? Neeevah!
Done it and got T shirt, just need an email to send details.

would anyone else
> be able to produce the file I described further up
> the thread? You just need to be non-UK based,
> preferably in Europe, as thats where the potential
> new service is.

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 03:01:57 AM »
\'S okay ... found it!

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 11:10:10 PM »
If no European listeners are able, Rick, let me know and I\'ll try it from here....be better than nothin\' :)

Rick:  Yeah, could be...but somthing for the future. I don\'t see myself having time to do any development work for the next six months. It\'s a good idea though!

Thats really the sort of thing that I\'d like to build in, it\'d be nice to get to the point where the Beebotron caters for all those who struggle with the \'proper\' iPlayer interface, and it has all the navigation and bookmarking facilities without all the shiny bling-bling the BBC likes to use.

Whether we ever get there is another matter! Nice to have something to aim for though

As for the playlist.....omg! I never even thought it possible, and the thought of it sometime in the future fills me with absolute joy!

I honestly think radio is on the verge of rediscovery. It\'s really perfect for the computer age, I just don\'t think people, the younger crowd especially, are aware of it quite yet. It\'d be ashame if it went the way of the Dodo before the cottoned on.

It is, and always has been, a pain to stop what you are doing, switch to another tab or window, try to remember or find your next program, set it up to play.....then try and remember where you were originally on the previous task.

That\'s why I loved Total Recorder so much. I could set up what I wanted to listen to that day and let her go....

Something to dream about anyway. :)

Tru, you feel about Winter like I do about Summer.....not a welcome change in my world. Hope the D helps. :)  I\'ll try and send a good catch-up e--mail soon. Life is still steaming....but not quite with such fervor.....at the moment, anyway.

And you laugh at Farming Today...but I kid you not.....as I am typing this they are discussing growing Hops in Scotland and African farming. :P

Desperate doesn\'t even cover it.
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2016, 01:44:06 AM »
Heard about those forest fires in Cali last night on tv. Guessed that\'d be pretty bad news if it was your way.
WHAT a world we are living in ... and to think MAN is the cause of it all. Makes ya shudder ...
.............................................and long live the Wuzz!

I shall not be starc

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2016, 03:14:06 AM »
If Cats ruled, THEY\'d sort it!

I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2016, 08:29:46 AM »
Yes! The fires are bad...but not as bad as they have been in the past or still could be this season. We have a nasty beetle that has infected our forests and is killing the trees at an alarming rate. That, on top of the drought has left them a virtual tinderbox waiting for the least little spark.

Currently, there is a fire south of here that is doing me no good at all. I just have to stay inside.  Anyhoo, don\'t want to commandeer the thread. I\'ll write you with an update soon.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2016, 01:23:29 AM »
Comandeer all you like m\'dear, it\'s about time we had some news. Pity it isn\'t the right kind though:S

I shall not be starc

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2016, 02:43:58 PM »
I\'ll be starting the move soon...so there\'s the potential for blackouts in the coming weeks. Hopefuly I\'ll manage to do things fairly smoothly though.

I thought you all might like a \'good news\' post. Here\'s the reason I have no time to develop/maintain the Beebotron at the mo:

Doug, almost 2, and Rami (short for Ramona), 5 months.

And not to be left out, heres Roz, my chief liutenant

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2016, 02:53:15 PM »
Commonly defined as ___ P A R A D I S E ___ whilest they\'re still young!:D

I shall not be starc

Offline Kronalias

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 09:29:21 PM »
Beautiful piccies Rick - so pleased for you & Claire! It\'s been a real delight knowing, and meeting you and your family.

You\'ve had my views in an email - but to condense it for others, whatever you want is good for me!

I thank you so much for helping me - this site started with me trying to expand the open source ethos to a free ethic for, in those days, access to BBC Listen Again on things (pocket PCs, early tablets etc) that wouldn\'t work with the BBC site.

Oh, how things have changed since those days!
Who know what the future holds?
But there will always be a place for people like Rick, who are willing to make the effort.

Perhaps the Beebotron has already made a small improvement....

Ages ago, when the Beebotron was embryonic, I had an email from the then head of Future Media in the BBC, asking whether he could give me a ring and have a chat.

Course we could, and we did. Surprised me, the Beeb didn\'t moan - they were quite supportive.

Actually, they weren\'t that supportive - there was no funding, no help and nothing else - but at least they didn\'t threaten the Beebotron with a takedown notice or anything like that.

Best for the future, make sure it\'s there, I\'ll be lurking (as always) K

Offline gingerbee

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2016, 04:54:08 AM »
I use hls links daily. They work extremely well - hope they can continue. Will make a small donation tomorrow. Thanks.

Offline Happyuser

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2016, 10:08:17 AM »
Dear Rick

I use your links.  I love your links.
And when I couldn\'t get your links to work I would look up to see if there were interesting programmes and then try and work out a way to listen to them.  

But I don\'t often read the forum.  I really only consult it when I\'m having problems. Could this be the same for other users of your links and the reason for not many responses?  I have the Radio 4 HLS list favourited in my browser and just go straight there so if it hadn\'t been for \"Just a minute\" cutting out after 4 minutes I would never have read your announcement.

Thank you for all your hard work and for this really useful site.  Podcasts just aren\'t the same because you can\'t get everything that way and the BBC\'s own page is a nightmare to navigate and get working on all the different (mostly old) hardware I have.

I\'m going to see if I can donate.

Thank you again

Jill

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 09:25:26 PM »
Well, one new thing I\'ve learned about you, Rick....you and your wife make beautiful babies. They are just adorable! Beebotron Schmeebotron! I\'d let the thing blackout, too. ;)

Offline canuk

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2016, 01:19:06 AM »
Sorry to hear that the use of Beebotron is dropping off. I still use the links (both live and listen again) to provide simpler access than regular iPlayer - especially good for listen again.
Although not a regular contributor, I follow the forums and take comfort in the wit and wisdom of Beeb fans around the world.
I hope you can find a way to keep the site running.

Offline IvorThirst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2016, 10:43:43 AM »
Sorry for the delay in responding. At first, I was doing Ivor things. Then I lost my login. By reading my old emails, I found out that I had saved a note of my password and \'merely\' had to find it!

As is shown by my non-participation in Facebook and Twitter, I only post when I\'ve something to say or wish to make some smart comment about the comments of others. Apart from reading all new messages, my main connection is with Andrew Slater\'s excellent Listing links. I used to enjoy adding programmes to the Calendar which helps me to remember them. Even without that, I have not missed the recent re-airing of Journey into Space, Wimsey\'s: Have His Carcase and Falco: The Silver Pigs.
.       Ivor

The original and real cat with the swishy tail.
Accept no imitations.