Author Topic: Time to move house  (Read 300 times)

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Time to move house
« on: August 13, 2016, 03:22:30 PM »

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Time to move house
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 01:44:05 AM »
Sad but perhaps inevitable Rick, especially after all the hard work you\'ve put into it.
I resort chiefly to the Beebotron for the forum ... and as you point out, traffic there seems to have dropped off a cliff.

I\'ll feel like a snail without a shell* without it ...

*is that a slug?(:D

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 09:09:02 PM »
The response to yours kinda says it all! :S

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 10:33:43 AM »
yeah...not a good sign is it.

Could you do me a favour? One of the cheap hosts I\'m looking at is based in Holland and i need to know if a non-uk location affects the data feeds from the BBC.

This is one of the URLs that the Beebotron uses:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/availability/fivelive.xml

Could you click it, save the result and email it to me please?
In firefox, either click the link or copy/paste it into the address bar. It\'ll open up a long stream of text. Right-click and Save As anywhere on that page and save the file as an \'xml\' ffile,then email the file to me.
I can compare that file with what i get in the UK and decide if the cheap host is an option.

Cheers(tu)

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 11:31:23 AM »
I did type a post yesterday, but somehow during my messing around with the Olympics news and other things, it got lost.

Anyway, the important part of that post was to answer Rick\'s question.

My usage of the Beebotron is as follows:

Links - ca 5%
Phorum - ca 95%

I also commented that I would have made a donation but I don\'t like financial transactions on the net. If there was a way to send in some dosh via a cheque, that would be preferable to me.

Oh, additionally could the dictionary be changed to English English as opposed to the American variety? Then, the spelling of words like cheque shouldn\'t be queried.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 01:37:31 PM »
Hey, Rick. Sorry to hear things have slowed down so badly. :(  

But I do understand the need to adjust.

As for me, I still listen everyday, and use Beebotron links almost exclusively.....soooo much easier to find what I want.  Although I haven\'t contributed much on here for awhile, I do check in.

I\'ve had a steaming pile of life to deal with for quite awhile and not much of interest to talk about....unless you\'d all like to hear about my asthma and gallstones. :)

As for bells and whistles, the only thing I ever wanted was the ability to create playlists in iPlayer, but I don\'t think that could be a Beebotron thing.....could it? Anyhoo, everything else is working great for me. I use the Drama, Factual, Radio 4 pages mostly, but check Radio 2, Radio 3 and Radio 6 pages too, sometimes.

Dramas have been so abysmal. I\'m usually listening to documentaries and have even resorted to listening to Farming Today. :P

Anyhoo, that\'s my two drachmas, for what they\'re worth. Hope everyone is well. :)
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 02:41:07 PM »
Rick I\'ll check tonight and tomorrow and post back here.
Also sending dosh.

Jan: got the two mails which cancelled out need for action.
Good to hear news even if a bit tempered by stones and asthma.
Would be great to be able to hang on to Beebotron ... naturellement!

Sorry if this is short, but medical urgency (sun for vitamin d doses) takes all priority today and tomorrow, winter/autumn back on menu Thursday. Jan made me die laughing on Farming today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brexit has had me tuning in to R4 news (yeurch x one gazillion) of late. At least that occupies some listening time ... though I dunno how long I can take it! ::o

Rick you are a HERO!

Hugs from Brussels-on-brexit ........ :D

I shall not be starc

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 12:05:43 PM »
Ironeyes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I also commented that I would have made a donation
> but I don\'t like financial transactions on the
> net. If there was a way to send in some dosh via a
> cheque, that would be preferable to me.

Thank you, I\'ll PM you with my address etc.

> Oh, additionally could the dictionary be changed
> to English English as opposed to the American
> variety? Then, the spelling of words like cheque
> shouldn\'t be queried.

That can already be done - If you click \'Control Centre\', next to the logout link, and from there, the left-hand block has an \'Options\' section. Click \'Forum Settings\' and the bunch of options that appear has a \'Language\' drop-down. Setting the language there sets the correct dictionary for when you\'re posting, etc.

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 12:57:55 PM »
Janaru Wrote:

> As for bells and whistles, the only thing I ever
> wanted was the ability to create playlists in
> iPlayer, but I don\'t think that could be a
> Beebotron thing.....could it?

Yeah, could be...but somthing for the future. I don\'t see myself having time to do any development work for the next six months. It\'s a good idea though!

Thats really the sort of thing that I\'d like to build in, it\'d be nice to get to the point where the Beebotron caters for all those who struggle with the \'proper\' iplayer interface, and it has all the navigation and bookmarking facilities without all the shiny bling-bling the BBC likes to use.

Wether we ever get there is another matter! Nice to have something to aim for though :)

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 01:00:50 PM »
It sounds like Tru has much more important priorities to concentrate on...would anyone else be able to produce the file I described further up the thread? You just need to be non-UK based, preferably in Europe, as thats where the potential new service is.

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 03:07:02 PM »
ricklous Wrote:
> That can already be done - If you click \'Control Centre\', next to the logout link, and from there,
> the left-hand block has an \'Options\' section. Click \'Forum Settings\' and the bunch of options
> that appear has a \'Language\' drop-down. Setting the language there sets the correct dictionary for
> when you\'re posting, etc.

Then the dictionary is at fault, as I have English (British) selected as my chosen language, and cheque still gets a red underline, when typed in.

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 08:23:50 PM »
Ironeyes Wrote:

> Then the dictionary is at fault, as
> I have English (British) selected as my chosen
> language, and cheque still gets a red underline,
> when typed in.

Could you check if this is just the phorum and not input boxes on other sites too?

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 09:09:12 PM »
I thought I would check (ha, ha) on ten dictionary sites, a couple of thesaurus sites and a few search engines, and none of them had any issue with the word cheque.

I didn\'t look at any Czech Republic sites though. B)

Offline Axel Berger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 10:40:44 PM »
I haven\'t used either in a long time. The proprietary iplayer has broken listen again for my hardware and OS. Listen live still works, but advance lists of upcoming programs are long past and all the hassle and time needed to find programs now is no longer worth it. So all I listen to is a selection of podcasts and I don\'t need or use the Beebotron for those. Sadly German radio has gone down the same drain, but they still managed to triple the licensing fee. (Radio alone was never free as in Britain, but now they have also abolished the two rates and everyone is made to pay the full TV rate without in my case ever having owned one or ever watched their programs. It\'s a poll tax pure and simple, which is illegal, but not apparently, as long as the don\'t call it so.)

Offline Axel Berger

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 10:46:45 PM »