Author Topic: Beat me on the Bottom with the Woman\'s Weekly! @\'.\'@  (Read 459 times)

Offline IvorThirst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Beat me on the Bottom with the Woman\'s Weekly! @\'.\'@
« on: April 20, 2016, 08:05:22 PM »
I\'m getting fed up with all these young stars dying! Victoria Wood has died at the age of 62, from cancer. At least I have been able to listen to this.

The Ballad of Freda and Barry (Let\'s Do It).
.       Ivor

The original and real cat with the swishy tail.
Accept no imitations.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Beat me on the Bottom with the Woman\'s Weekly! @\'.\'@
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 09:05:48 PM »
Aha you \"beat\" me to it, as I searched YouTube, fruitlessly, for the office executives dance duet.:)-D
Still I reckon she deserves two threads!

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline IvorThirst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 08:43:14 PM »
Of course, all the newspapers were printing Victoria\'s jokes. I don\'t understand it, but I believe that it\'s supposed to be funny. She said:

\"My boyfriend had a sex manual, but he has dyslexia. I was lying there and he was looking for my vinegar.\"
.       Ivor

Accept no imitations.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 12:08:34 AM »
Though I guess you are only kidding! See anagrams just in case!

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 07:13:17 PM »
Got it! It\'s from the Midlife Christmas production I think. I\'ve ordered it though wonder now if I shouldn\'t have just gone ahead and bought the entire collection of her work.

I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 10:07:02 PM »
When I read this the first time, I hadn\'t listened to, \"Let\'s Do It\". I was listening to a program on Radio 2 (or 6) called, \"Sing Something Naughty\" (or something like that...jeez....my brain is shot. :P  ) and I finally heard her sing that song. Too funny! Sounds like she will be dearly missed.
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 10:47:16 PM »
Yes it\'s great! From her tv shows it\'s the apprentice dance routine I like best, it kills me. Nowadays I imagine Trump as her dance partner and that cracks me up even more! Can\'t seem to find any suitable youtube excerpts of it though I do have the DVD.

I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 07:41:53 PM »
Aww, I\'d love to see that! :)
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 12:13:43 AM »
Will see if that excerpt can be ripped. Will consult technical guru and r eport back.

I shall not be starc

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 08:23:02 AM »
Weirdly, last night on 'Dave' channel they showed the first and last episodes of 'Dinnerladies'

I adore the show as does my wife, in fact it's her favourite ever comedy she stated last night, what struck me watching it was the quality from first to last never wavered a scintilla. I could make a case for it being, like 'Cabin Pressure' on radio, the very best of its genre.

We have watched the series possibly seven or eight times all the way through and we know all the jokes, but as with 'Cabin Pressure', it matters not a jot and I laugh out loud again and again.

The whole cast (with the exception of Julie Walters who's character I can't stand) are sublime, Anne Reid not only has a beautiful face, but she is an exceptional comedy actress.. no, correction, exceptional actress.

It personally bugs me when I used to hear people say that Victoria Wood is one of the funniest women on television, she wasn't, she was one of the funniest PEOPLE on television, her gender is irrelevant to laughter, where I can understand their point is, it's much harder to be given the opportunity as a woman.

In truth, throughout her career, she made some of the most touching yet hilarious shows I've ever watched, thinking as we viewed that we will no longer get to see her in anything new is immensely sad for us, but tragic that at a mere 62, we have lost a comedy giant.

I can think of a few from the music business I will miss terribly from 2016, but VW might be the biggest loss to me from showbiz in that terrible year.
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 09:01:42 AM »
It personally bugs me when I used to hear people say that Victoria Wood is one of the funniest women on television, she wasn't, she was one of the funniest PEOPLE on television, her gender is irrelevant to laughter, where I can understand their point is, it's much harder to be given the opportunity as a woman./quote]

I know what you mean and I don't disagree with you, but although gender might be irrelevant to laughter, it can be relevant to the script. Whilst watching Dinnerladies, there were times when I remember thinking that it couldn't have been written by a man. I can't remember details, but there were elements that a man just wouldn't have been 'in touch with' and had a man written the script, there would have been many occasions when it would have been labelled 'sexist'. 

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 11:40:32 AM »
A very fair point, there are a few, but VERY few men writers who write in a manner which is both sympathetic AND uses a womans  talents and attributes, Willy Russell is possibly the only one that springs to mind, though you could argue that Alan Bennett is also of that ilk.

I also agree that, even with the best of intention, it's very easy for male humour to allude to sexist themes, even if it's unintentional, this is often the theme for 'Funny'* women as well, but mostly goes by without comment.

As an example, I find Jo Brand one of the single most sexist performers out there, she may have softened with age, I find her unwatchable, but her sneering anti men themes used to be the bedrock of her act.

I think the irreverence of VWs scripts and the total lack of aggression is the stand out quality, after of course the fact that her outlook on life was just bloody funny! ;D

*Funny would not be my description of her.
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline IvorThirst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 04:04:50 PM »
I agree with your comments on Jo Brand. I feel that the big change came about with her being invited to regularly appear on Countdown. Her usual language and tales would not fit in there. I did like her new words and their explanations from the provided letters.  8)
.       Ivor

Accept no imitations.