Author Topic: New Beebotron Features - Come take a look!  (Read 267 times)

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New Beebotron Features - Come take a look!
« on: January 17, 2016, 10:47:51 PM »
Hello,

Today I\'ve uploaded some new features to the Beebotron and they appear to be working well at the moment, so it\'s time to let you all know about them.

The new section is a reworked version of the Beebotron Lite page. When it eventually reaches full functionallity it\'ll replace the current (wonky) version but for now the two will run alongside each other.

Main changes:
Currently we have the national stations being generated. Local ones will follow soon.
Each station has links in three formats - iPlayer pop-out, HLS, and DASH.

iPlayer pop-out:
Gives you a small BBC page with programe details, audio playback/volume controls, etc. You\'ll need Flash installed to use these links, but at least you\'ll not need to go through the iPlayer to get to them.

HLS and DASH:
These links are the new streaming format which has replaced WMA. There are no quality levels to choose from - you click the link and the BBC shoves as good a stream as you can cope with at you. You may or may not have software to play these links already. On your desktop, VLC is a good place to start - the HLS links stream to my VLC on linux quite well. If you want to \'save a stream\' for later offline listening, investigate ffmpeg, which I\'ve used successfully. On mobile, I have BSPlayer Free on my Android phone and it also works well to stream the programes - you don\'t need any BBC apps on your phone.

There\'s also links to the live streams for all stations available, but as they already exist on the old version of the Beebotron Lite page I\'ll not go on about them too much.

The new pages are organised in a (hopefully) predictable way:

ht tps://beebotron.org/listings/ / /

Many of the pages are currently listing programes twice - I\'m working on that. The page produces a link each time the programe is broadcast, so if it\'s repeated in the week there\'ll be two identical links. Also, many programes are listed before they\'re actually broadcast. Those links have a warning and an estimate of when they will be available.

I\'m sure I\'ll think of other stuff. Fire away with questions if you have any.

Rick

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New Beebotron Features - Come take a look!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 03:54:33 AM »
All the above sounds pretty mouth-watering Rick. Thanks very much.
Looking forward to getting my technical adviser round to take a look and get me conversant with the various softwares.

Question - a really dumb one! - am I right in assuming these very attractive sounding features will be available to non-Blighty based audiences?

Cheers,
Tru

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Happyuser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 11:12:07 AM »
I\'m listening to Radio 4 in France on my android 4.1 phone using HLS and BSPlayer Free and loving it.  Thank you so much. I find your listings so much easier to find things on than on iPlayer.

My only slight problem was that BSPlayer Free refused to download for lack of space even though I thought I had plenty of space.  But I cleared my caches and it downloaded with no problem.

Now to dig out my old Dell Streak and see if I can get that to work with BSPlayer then I could go back to using it as a radio.

Merci beaucoup.  

Jill

Offline billiobob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 11:49:01 AM »
Is there an app for Windows phone similar to BSPlayer? It\'s simple enough just to use anyway and so much faster than iPlayer radio which buffers and crashes.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 12:52:19 PM »
Forgot to welcome you to the boards Jill, as this appears to be your first post here. Cheers and looking forward to seeing you around. Happy listening.

Furthermore you seem to have answered my question (a dumb one albeit!) up thread!(tu)

Tru

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 02:51:34 PM »
billiobob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there an app for Windows phone similar to
> BSPlayer? It\'s simple enough just to use anyway
> and so much faster than iPlayer radio which
> buffers and crashes.

Try these two:
Omni MPlayer
PXL HLS Player

Please report back and let us know, we need to compile a list of what works and what doesn\'t with these links and any help is much appreciated :)-D

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 03:00:24 PM »
Also:

VLC for Win Phone

...is probably worth a bash.

Offline gingerbee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 10:54:56 PM »
Thanks for sending notice of this. I\'m looking forward to becoming reacquainted with the Beebotron listings.
gb.

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 11:00:30 AM »
Wow!

It\'s amazing how one e-mail has stimulated so many (I know it\'s only a few) of the more reticent members to post. It\'s so good to see some unfamiliar names here.

Maybe Rick could send more mails from time to time, and who knows how productive they might be.in generating responses.

Anyway thanks again to Rick for the work he does to keep this site going.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 01:54:21 PM »
Couldn\'t agree more IE:)-D

I shall not be starc

Offline PennyHassett

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 02:31:22 PM »
Thanks for the new features and the email announcing them. I didn\'t mind the broadcast-email at all.

I used to use the beebotron site heavily to get notice of what programs are available, but, to be honest, I now use podcasts when they are available and get-iplayer if not, but I still use the beebotron site for notifications of which programs have been on bbc 4extra. Your new links would still be a welcome addition to my toolset.

How do use vlc to play the HLS links? I tried and nothing works on my Linux laptop (BSFree works fine on my mobile phone, thanks for the tip)

If I go to the \'live\' radio link at <https://www.beebotron.org/index4lite.php> and click-right on radio 4 fm \'M\' I can copy the link http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_med/ak/bbc_radio_fourfm.m3u8 . I go to vlc and control-v and alt-p to play it and I get nothing.

The MP3 -\'M\' link does work however (<http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/select/mediaset/http-icy-mp3-a/vpid/bbc_radio_fourfm/format/pls.pls> )

If I go to the catch-up pages, both HLS and DASH, it doesn\'t work at all. I go to <https://www.beebotron.org/listings/radio4fm/hls/> and click right on a link and copy the address eg <http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/redir/version/2.0/vpid/b06vjlrd/mediaset/audio-syndication/proto/http>. Trying to play this as a stream in vlc doesn\'t work, I get nothing. Exactly the same for the DASH link of <http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/redir/version/2.0/mediaset/audio-syndication-dash/proto/http/vpid/b06vjlrd>.

I\'m using vlc version 2.1.6 Rincewind and have libavcodec-extra-54 installed. Did you compile and install the HLS-plugin?

Offline talent

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 09:30:42 PM »
Nice work, Rick!

As a non-UK guy, HLS streams play perfectly for me in XMPlay.  The stream is 48kbps, but beggars can\'t be choosy!

I was wondering if you could generate a MPEG-DASH link for non-UK people.  Our friend, adancy, over on iplayerconverter.co.uk has this ability.

I guess the only other question is figuring out a way to play MPEG-DASH links on the desktop since the MPEG-DASH bitrate appears to be better for international listeners.

Offline talent

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 09:47:43 PM »
Forgot to note that in XMPlay, HLS streams do not appear to support seeking.  That\'s really the only downside with BBC HLS streams and XMPlay.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 01:27:41 AM »
Just sticking my head above the parapet to welcome you to the boards Penny. Technical stuff goes right over my head, still I\'m hoping to learn from this thread. I\'ve never been able to \"listen again\" to 4xtra on my Android Galaxy, can only pick up live streaming.

I shall not be starc

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 05:33:09 PM »
A small change:

The entry point for the new listings used to be:

It\'s now:

The old address will automatically take you to the new one so any old bookmarks will still work.

I\'ll try and pull together answers to your various queries over the coming days.

Cheers
Rick