Author Topic: Night, Night, Cilla  (Read 394 times)

Offline IvorThirst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Night, Night, Cilla
« on: August 02, 2015, 10:16:28 PM »
Cilla Black died Yesterday evening at her villa in Spain. Worryingly, she was only a couple of years older than I.
.       Ivor

The original and real cat with the swishy tail.
Accept no imitations.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Night, Night, Cilla
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 07:44:48 PM »
Even more worryingly, I\'d never seen this post till now::o

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline IvorThirst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 11:22:33 PM »
Even more worrying is that my original OP has had 159 reads up to now and you are  the one and only to reply!
.       Ivor

The original and real cat with the swishy tail.
Accept no imitations.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 11:30:50 PM »
The difference between passive and participative!

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 07:42:31 PM »
I hadn\'\'t seen this either. :(
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 12:41:57 PM »
I wondered if like me they couldn\'t think of anything nice to say about her, so thought it best to not say anything.

I lived near her and worked in the area quite often, she had very few admirers in the community despite her MASSIVE popularity with a chunk of the viewing public.
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 08:54:30 PM »
TallforaDuck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wondered if like me they couldn\'t think of anything nice to say about her, so thought it best to not say anything.

And then, with wonderful irony, you go on to say something that is certainly not nice. :S

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 10:57:10 PM »
Really? I think your understanding of English and mine are very different.
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 11:51:12 PM »
Really? Why do you think that?

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 08:07:50 AM »
I studiously avoided saying anything \'not nice\', it has never been my intention to argue with nor offend anyone on here, although I have opinions and enjoy a good debate. I was curious as to whether people on here had the same opinion of the lady that I had but assuming you were an admirer, I didn\'t want to attempt to disillusion despite having numerous incidents I could report.

I grew up in that part of Buckinhamshire where many,many well known people live, I lived only a few miles from her and met her on three occasions (twice in a professional capacity) I know many many of her neighbours and people who worked with or for her, that\'s the basis for my opinion of her.

Now you may have had a totally different experience in your meetings with her I am adult enough to know, even people in the public eye can have bad and trying days, indeed I have met \'celebrities\' who have been definitely Jekyll and Hyde if you meet them repeatedly,

I will admit, having tried not to offend and then receive your \'prickly\' response,it was shall we say, challenging.
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 09:49:46 AM »
To put the record straight, I never met her and I wasn\'t a fan of either her singing or presentation ability.

Your original post in this thread began with, \"I wondered if like me they couldn\'t think of anything nice to say about her, so thought it best to not say anything.\"

That should have been enough to answer this comment from Ivor, \"Even more worrying is that my original OP has had 159 reads up to now and you are the one and only to reply!\"

However, you then went on with, \"I lived near her and worked in the area quite often, she had very few admirers in the community despite her MASSIVE popularity with a chunk of the viewing public.\" Although those words can be interpreted in a number of ways, I would suggest that most people reading them would conclude that her private persona was somewhat at odds with her public image, i.e. in real life she wasn\'t the nice, smiley, cuddly person we saw on our tv screens.

Whether true or not, that in my book is negative criticism and therefore can be labelled \'not nice\', and you posting it, as I pointed out before, contradicts your original take on the well-known moral.

Prickly response? Maybe, but usually, only when I read words that belong in those abominations and apologies for newspapers, the Mail and the Express.

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 10:44:44 AM »
Ah! I fear I owe you an apology, I could give you the excuse that my keyboard has been compromised with to many crumbs and doesn\'t work correctly and whilst that is in fact true it\'s not an excuse.

I GENUINELY thought I had censored that part after typing it, I had  typed a longer reply with examples and as I said I thought better of it and cut it. I obviously missed the first paragraph so when you replied to just that one line in my mind that was all I had written so replied again... entirely my fault and I apologise.

It must be clear I have shall we say, not a totally positive opinion of her I had intended to leave it  ambiguous, I failed spectacularly.

Note to self....  preview what you post first.

For the record, I read no newspapers these days, have NEVER read the Mail or Express (God forbid) I do occasionally read online papers, usually the Independent, sometimes the Guardian I grew up in a house that would never allow either of those rags in it.
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 11:50:51 AM »
Apologies accepted, although neither wanted nor needed.

Oh blimey, Step Inside Love is just playing on Radio 2. How apt!

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 11:59:25 AM »
Ironeyes Wrote:
> in those abominations and
> apologies for newspapers, the Mail and the
> Express.

Britons beware! ::o You have been warned!

I shall not be starc

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 01:25:30 PM »
Truthyness Wrote:
> Britons beware! ::o You have been warned!

Gosh, thanks for the unexpected endorsement Truthy (tu), but I fear there are insufficient visitors to this site to make a real difference to the success of those rags.