Author Topic: MP3 streams added to Live Radio links  (Read 181 times)

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
MP3 streams added to Live Radio links
« on: April 14, 2015, 08:10:52 PM »
Hi

The three new sections added recently;

BBC Live Radio UK Links (AAC via HLS)
BBC Live Radio International Links (AAC via HLS)
BBC World Service

...also now have mp3 streaming links alongside the HLS streaming links. These should be easier for older equipment to cope with than the HLS streams added a fortnight ago.

Any feedback on the layout would be appreciated - especially if you\'re using screen reader/accessibility software.

Direct link:
Beebotron Lite

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
Re: MP3 streams added to Live Radio links
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 08:22:55 PM »
I just tried the Radio 3 live MP3 link. It plays for 10 seconds, buffers for a second, plays for 10 seconds, buffers for a second, plays for 10 seconds, buffers for a second, plays for 10 seconds, buffers for a second, ... (It\'s pretty much what I had expected, from reading various reports of the BBC\'s latest glorious technical Great March Forward.) Not the Beebotron\'s fault, of course!

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 01:04:33 AM »
Hi Rick,
iPlayer link works fine for me, the other two don\'t, but that\'s likely \'cause I don\'t have required software.
Thanks for all the creative energy you are investing to keep our good ship a-float.:)-D

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Linksys

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 09:48:17 PM »
Where would one go on this site to find the MP3 links?  Thanks.  :S

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 10:37:16 PM »
From the front page, there\'s a link to \'Beebotron Lite\', follow that and you\'ll see a short list of links/sections, with a link to this forum at the top. The mp3 links are in the forth, fifth and sixth sections, called:
BBC Live Radio UK Links,
BBC Live Radio International Links,
BBC World Service Live

Clicking each section will expand that section to show you what\'s available. On each line, the MP3 link is the one on the right, labeled M to indicate the stream quality - 128kbps.

Hope that helps!

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 02:55:40 AM »
All of those BBC Live Radio mp3 links work for me (still in Oz), but they seem to want to open and play only in iTunes, and there only after a few error messages which might lead one to think that it\'s not going to work.

However, what\'s useful is that within iTunes each time you click on a link for a new station, it adds the link into a playlist, and once you have the links in the playlist, you can switch from station to station instantaneously, just as you would with presets on a radio.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 03:29:43 AM »
sounds interesting IE, I don\'t have iTunes installed, I\'ll ask my technical guy for advice and if he gives the green light give it a go.

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 10:13:06 AM »
Ironeyes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All of those BBC Live Radio mp3 links work for me (still in Oz), but they seem to want to open and play only in iTunes, and there only
> after a few error messages which might lead one to think that it\'s not going to work.
>
> However, what\'s useful is that within iTunes each time you click on a link for a new station, it adds the link into a playlist, and once you
> have the links in the playlist, you can switch from station to station instantaneously, just as you would with presets on a radio.

Update on this.

The error messages and other complications were due to me running Firefox in a sandbox. (See Sandboxie for details)

Opening the beebotron in IE (which I rarely use and is not sandboxed) enabled me to set up the playlist in iTunes of Radios 2, 3, 4, 4X and 5 Live in less than one minute.

Now when I turn this laptop on, I can be listening live to any one of these stations within 30 seconds, and switch to any of the others in the blink of an eye. Brilliant!

Actually, I will have to see if this really is useful or not, as one can of course get all of the stations and more on apps like tunein.

Truthy, I only have iTunes because I have an iPad, but AFAIK there is nothing about iTunes to be afraid of.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 01:54:12 PM »
Thanks, though listening live isn\'t my . I\'m strictly a L. A. girl.

I shall not be starc