Author Topic: Live Radio Links Updated  (Read 83 times)

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Live Radio Links Updated
« on: April 01, 2015, 10:52:44 PM »
Hello,

I\'ve removed the old wma streaming radio links from the Beebotron Lite page and replaced them with three new sections:

BBC Live Radio UK Links (AAC via HLS)
BBC Live Radio International Links (AAC via HLS)
BBC World Service

Click on each section to see a list of whats available, in what level of quality.
I hope the layout, etc, makes sense.

The HLS-AAC links give you a playlist file in the *.m3u8 style. You\'ll need a media player capable of understanding this format in order to play the stream. VLC seems to handle them well, I\'ve also been told that Media Player on a fairly recent Windows system plays them too.

Fire away with questions/feedback.

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
Re: Live Radio Links Updated
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 12:22:44 AM »
It\'s good to have the links. Thank you for providing them. However, my attempt to actually listen to one of them wasn\'t a great success. I downloaded and unzipped VLC2.2.0, and tried to play the Radio 3 320 kbps stream. (By the way, isn\'t it kilobits, kb, rather than kilobytes, kB?) It played for a second or so, stopped for several seconds, played for a second or so, stopped for several seconds, played for a second or so, stopped for several seconds, and so on, apparently ad infinitum. Even when it was playing, the quality sounded murky, compared to FM. (Thank goodness we still have FM to compare the various horrible digital experiments with!) VLC also tied up my entire system (a WinXP netbook), bringing it to a grinding halt, and I had a hard time even terminating VLC or Firefox. But I\'ll try again tomorrow. Thanks again for at least making it possible to experiment.

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Live Radio Links Updated
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 10:42:43 AM »
Sounds like you might be suffering from this bug

I\'ve also read on other forums that the load HLS adds to the CPU is not insignificant. On my system it takes 2% for an mp3 stream and 4% for a HLS-AAC stream, but that may be different on different architectures. Its been cited as a reason that some internet radios won\'t be upgraded to work with the BBCs new feeds - the HLS wrapper is too much for the low-power cpus in those devices to cope with.

You may have more luck with the shoutcast mp3 streams, i\'m adding them next. might be a week or so for them to appear though.