Author Topic: Get iPlayer Question  (Read 351 times)

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Get iPlayer Question
« on: March 26, 2015, 07:30:28 PM »
So...okay...I finally broke down and tried this thing. It\'s totally confusing, but I did manage to get some programs...only to find that every one is plaaaaying reeeeeally sloooooowly.

Any idea why this might be?
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline Lady Penelope

• View Profile
Re: Get iPlayer Question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 08:38:34 PM »
Jan:  I left this one in the hope that someone more technically literate would reply, but since it seems they have not, rushing in where angels fear to tread:

I ge IPlayer \"on demand\" with few problems,  and running at normal speed so it  probably isnt the overseas issue.   However I dont seem to get live radio, though that might be a different problem.

It could be the speed of your ISP is not adequate:   I had to chage from DialUp to Broadband to get it.  Or it could be your Browser doesn\'t \"support it\"

I do have problems, as I have previously reported, with clarity and volume, but since it varies from programme to programme I think that is the bbc. I also find the Site very confusing and unhelpful, but dont let IE hear us say that, or we\'ll never get untangled!

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 09:39:23 PM »
Jan,

What is playing slowly, is it a video file you\'ve downloaded using get_iplayer?

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 03:46:19 AM »
I am at the moment ca 10500 miles away from the origin of the BBC\'s broadcasts.

My reception is as good as in the UK (i.e. as good as I would want), both for on-demand and live programmes.

This is true for all stations from 1 to 6 inclusive.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 08:07:11 PM »
Howz the belly dancing in Oz Mate? (:P)

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 09:13:24 PM »
And the waltzing?

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 11:30:49 PM »
Here perhaps?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFomM7ug0B8[/video]

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 04:19:49 AM »
Truthyness Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Howz the belly dancing in Oz Mate? (:P)

Well, so far we haven\'t seen any belly or even ballet dancing. We were treated to the sight of our seven year old doing some form of modern dancing to the tune of \"La Bamba\", but as entertaining as it was, very little emphasis was placed on the midriff area of her body.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 06:34:42 PM »
Hey, Rick, it should have been a radio files that were downloaded. I suspect I\'m having a problem with Codecs. Although my Total Recorder Pros says it plays AAC, I think perhaps I have the wrong version or something.

The same programs I downloaded did play in WMP....which is weird because TRP uses WMP\'s own Codecs.

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 11:07:57 PM »
Sounds like you\'re right. It\'s a long long while since I dealt with codecs in Windows, but from memory, even if you\'re using the same core codecs, the internal plumbing constructed on-the-fly to get the data from your files to your soundcard can be done differently by each media program you use.

***I\'m sure you know this already but*** whatever you do, don\'t go installing codecs willy-nilly, especially the packs that used to be popular. That way lies many tears.

Poke around in TRPs settings, see if there\'s any way of comparing them to WMPs, you might spot whatevers causing the odd behaviour.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 08:42:53 PM »
I\'ve given up the ghost on TRP for the moment. Been sick and haven\'t had the will. Just listening in WMP for now, or on iPlayer. I still wish those guys would get a decent playlist thing going. I know of no other audio program that doesn\'t have that functionality. Ah well....