Author Topic: Major Wonkyness, post WMA feed removal.  (Read 189 times)

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Major Wonkyness, post WMA feed removal.
« on: March 04, 2015, 10:14:58 PM »
Hello all,

The BBCs long-promised closure of the WMA feeds is now upon us, and as a result many links that the Beebotron generates are now becoming defunct.

At this point we either need to do a fairly major re-write, or close at least the link-library side of the site. Closing the site doesn\'t sound much fun, so I\'m going to have a bash at providing you folks with something useful to replace the WMA feeds. This will take time, and might result in failure.

When we first heard of the BBCs intentions, I decided not to do anything till it had actually happened because there are often unforeseen additional changes which may have scuppered the work put in preparing for said announced changes and what with having a new-born to look after at the time, I couldn\'t justify putting any hours into something that may later not work - so that\'s why we have this current broken-ness.

The timescales involved are a bit open-ended, but bear with me, I\'ll see what I can come up with

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Major Wonkyness, post WMA feed removal.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 10:25:59 PM »
That\'s the spirit, don\'t let those turkeys get you down Rick. Thanks for all the effort, it\'s very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Tru

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline IvorThirst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 10:40:40 PM »
Auntie has been feeding us a load of you-know-what for a long while. Now, they expect you to provide the nappies!
.       Ivor

The original and real cat with the swishy tail.
Accept no imitations.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 12:50:53 AM »
Thanks so much, Rick. And you know where to find Guinea pigs for testing if you need them. :)
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline anthonbloom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 02:06:13 PM »
Thank You for your past efforts, they have been much appreciated. I just hope that you can come up with something to allow me to continue to listen to the voices of \"Old Blighty\" as I travel throughout North America.

Offline soundgeek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 03:03:18 PM »
Maybe aac streaming is an approach?

Anyway, all the best in your endeavours!

Offline Linksys

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 01:33:27 PM »
I have been making great use of the Today programe from this site for quite some time.   My drive to and from work was greatly enhanced by it.  I thank you for making this available through your site.     Now that the BBC have closed down the WMA feeds, do you think that some other opition to grab this informative programe for my mp3 player or some other
(non smart) device may become available?

Thank you

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 01:55:17 PM »
Welcome to the boards Linksys,

From the OP in the thread you will gather that all efforts are being made, though, at this point there is no certainty.
I am keeping my fingers crossed. I\'m sure Ricklous will keep us posted.

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 10:44:05 PM »
You\'ve probably already tried Podcasts, Lynksis, but just in case, here\'s the link to the page:

Today Podcast

It doesn\'t look like it\'s the whole show, but it may be enough to muddle through until we can come up with something else.

Hope it helps.

Offline Linksys

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 11:43:33 PM »
Thanks for this,  I had seen the podcast opition but never tried it and had forgotten it to be honet   I will give that a go, as you say it will be enough to muddle through.

Thank you.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 12:31:59 AM »
You\'re very welcome! Hopefully, we can all get fully up and running on something else soon.

Offline anthonbloom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 02:27:39 PM »
I have been downloading podcasts in .mp3 format rather than using a feed and using NCH Record Pad to record from my sound card using the IPlayer and Hola set to a UK VPN. The podcasts download very quickly, but I have to record the rest in real time. Poor spoiled me! Still, it would be nice to get back to recording from the Beebtron feed.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 06:31:45 PM »
Well, Rick is working feverishly to figure out how to make something work....stay tuned.....