Author Topic: Thank you, BBC, for forcing us to use Flash - to listen to the bloody radio!  (Read 1832 times)

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
Using Firefox on Linux? Your Flash Player is Old and Outdated!

I came across this article while waiting ... and waiting ... and waiting ... for Firefox 34.0.5 on WinXP to update its insecure (and therefore automatically disabled) old version of the Flash plugin. It looks like the wait is going to go on for hours, possibly for ever. I hate computers.

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
Firefox switches off plugins - but not Flash | PC Pro

Smedberg called for developers to stop using plugins, saying features such as video and animation can run directly within the browser via technologies such as WebGL or WebRTC.

\"Plugins are now a legacy technology, and not available on most mobile devices,\" he noted. \"Mozilla encourages website developers to avoid using plugins wherever possible.\"

(Article dated 25 Sep 2013. Come on BBC, get with it!)

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
And here\'s yet another iPlayer gripe. Perhaps it\'s just me. Try this. Listen to any programme on iPlayer, pause after 6 seconds (I did this because my amplifier was initially turned to the wrong channel, and I missed the beginning of the programme), and try to rewind to the beginning. Simple enough, you would think. What happens?

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
Matamore! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And here\'s yet another iPlayer gripe. Perhaps it\'s just me. Try this. Listen to any programme on iPlayer, pause after 6 seconds (I did this > because my amplifier was initially turned to the wrong channel, and I missed the beginning of the programme), and try to rewind to the
> beginning. Simple enough, you would think. What happens?

I tried it on three programmes each from a different day this week, and in each case the cursor went back to the beginning and the programme began playing from the start.

Just as one would hope.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
iPlayer is DISGUSTING. Slow, sluggish, poor quality sound, unresponsive. In Firefox, I click a selected feature next, fast the deadicated idiotPlayer page opens and just as you are about to click play the ENTIRE ruddy page goes grey and has to start re-loading. Page needs to load TWICE. Next click the stand alone idiot player feature, just below the play switch in the page and up it comes, then you have to wait for the image to zoom out, then you have to wait an age for the stuff to load, (i\'ve got powerful and effective bandwidth, witnessed by the fact that via the Beebotron route MediaPlayer opens and plays fast and smoothly.

Next, your listening is interrupted by something or other ... you miss a bit of what\'s playing ... you back track. jEEEEEEEEEEEEEZUS  ............ the whole palaver takes ridiculous amounts of time and does or doesn\'t work, it\'s pot luck and pretty random. On wma media player you simply slide that old cursor back to the exact second required and away you go.

God protect me from this age of dump and degeneracy. NUFFIN, can they do NUFFIN NUFFIN NUFFIN right! Yeurch! Hiss and Spit[/b].

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
And that\'s not to mention the cuts, hick ups, slips, fade outs and rubbish quality.

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
And on my new Compaq whilest idiot player faffs about, all other browser functions freeze, yours but to put up with it!

I shall not be starc

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
Ironeyes Wrote:
> Matamore! Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And here\'s yet another iPlayer gripe. Perhaps
> it\'s just me. Try this. Listen to any programme on
> iPlayer, pause after 6 seconds (I did this >
> because my amplifier was initially turned to the
> wrong channel, and I missed the beginning of the
> programme), and try to rewind to the
> > beginning. Simple enough, you would think. What
> happens?
>
> I tried it on three programmes each
> from a different day this week, and in each case
> the cursor went back to the beginning and the
> programme began playing from the start.
>
> Just as one would hope.

Thanks for checking.

I don\'t know why it was different with me.

I tried it on three different programmes from over a week ago. (There is seldom any need to use iPlayer for a programme less than 7 days old.)

In each case, the player became stuck, apparently indefinitely, with one of those swirly animated icons going. I had to close the browser tab, reopen it, start playing the clip again, and rewind from a point a minute or so after the start.  Then it was OK.

(I didn\'t bother to try to find when the cutoff point was. Also, I only bothered to verify that rewinding from a later point was OK for one of the three programmes, viz. the one I actually wanted to listen to.)

I\'ll try it now on a more recent programme:

BBC Radio 4 - Tom Wrigglesworth\'s Hang-Ups, Series 2, Earning Your Corn (Radio 4, Tuesday 9 December, 18:30)

That worked normally.

And now a fourth programe from more than 7 days (and less than 4 weeks) ago:

BBC Radio 6 Music - 6 Music Live Hour, A Band Called O, the Servants and Lykke Li (Tuesday 4 December, 02:30)

That worked normally, too.

So I guess it must have been some transient problem, just one of those things.

(I wonder if my Firefox plugin update problem has sorted itself out now, too?)

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
Matamore! Wrote:
> (I wonder if my Firefox plugin update problem has sorted itself out now, too?)

No, but at least it\'s not just me:

Checking with Mozilla on the status of your plugins keeps spinning ver 34.0.5 | Firefox Support Forum | Mozilla Support

Plugin control in Firefox 34.0.5 messed up | Firefox Support Forum | Mozilla Support (slightly less relevant)

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sorry Mat forgot to mention! At the 6th second of play on 3 different progs Idiot player worked (as far as iPlayer ever does). The software didn\'t jam.

I shall not be starc

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
Tru, you might enjoy (if that\'s the word!) reading some of the many scathing and well-informed comments on this blog entry.

The thread is mostly about one particularly irresponsible (surely bordering on illegal) move by the BBC iPlayer people, but some of it is about the iPlayer in general, and the way we are forced to use it, in spite of its many inadequacies, and the availability of many superior alternatives, which the BBC goes out of its way to disable, and to insinuate are almost criminal.

A sample:

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
Militant Tendency : Labour Party ::
Opus Dei : Catholic Church ::
ISIL : Islam ::
CIA: USA ::
Richard Dawkins : Science ::
Simon Cowell : Popular music ::
Pierre Boulez : Classical music ::
Psychiatry : Medicine ::
Big business : Free trade ::
iPlayer : BBC

;)

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
There\'s something in that*!

(though on item 2 the Argy\'s efforts, may hopefully dilute the influence of O.D.)

I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I had the same trouble when I had Bast*rd, Mat. I wonder if it\'s an XP problem? Miss Purdy seems to play and rewind just fine.

I was going to post a couple of weeks ago and ask how to not make Firefox suck so hard. I\'ve had to install and use it for Facebook, as there are a lot of word games I play there that use Flash. Adobe has stopped supporting Opera completely so I\'ve had to try a different browser.

I\'m not sure why everyone is so \"head over...\" for Firefox. It\'s one step away from Explorer, imo. Kind of a pig, really. Although, I have recently found a \"Download Them All\" extension thingy, which is quite helpful in downloading OTR for my brother.

I\'ve been so spoiled with Opera it\'s hard to get used to heavy-handed browsers again.

I haven\'t read all the posts about iPlayer yet, but I can imagine the content, if their experience is anything like mine. I abhor that thing and the Pop-Out is even worse. I\'ve never seen a website so damned counterintuitive. It\'s like it was designed by drunken monkeys with a clicking obsession.
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
Matamore! Wrote:
> So I guess it must have been some transient problem, just one of those things.

It wasn\'t a one-off problem, because it has just happened again - and on a different computer, too! (Also running Windows XP.)

BBC Radio 3 - CD Review, Building a Library: Schumann: Symphony No 2, Schumann: Symphony No. 2 (sic)

I tried rewinding after 3 seconds - no joy, it\'s stuck.

By the way, can anybody identify the location in the image they\'ve used here?

(It doesn\'t all fit on this page.  Here\'s all of it: http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/976x549/p01s6fb5.jpg.)

Is it real?  Does anywhere on Earth look as terrifying and beautiful as that? Or is it a computer-generated fantasy?