Author Topic: BBC Nitro  (Read 466 times)

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
BBC Nitro
« on: November 06, 2014, 01:18:47 PM »
BBC Nitro | BBC Developer Portal

What is BBC Nitro?

The BBC is the world\'s largest and oldest broadcaster, serving audiences in the UK and worldwide with TV, Radio and Online services. With the iPlayer, the BBC is also the UK\'s largest video and audio on-demand provider, serving millions of hours of programmes to users across a range of devices and platforms.

Behind much of BBC programmes online is the BBC Nitro API: A fast and easy way to get access to the entire BBC catalogue, including programme information, images, scheduling and listings, contributors, and details on which programmes are available to play on iPlayer and iPlayer Radio.

in 2014, we will be making BBC Nitro available to developers outside the BBC for the first time, under a permissive licence to help them build useful, fun and engaging experiences around the wealth of BBC programmes.

Getting the most from BBC Nitro

We encourage and hope for all sorts of products being built on Nitro by developers, especially those that:

Help people discover and explore the huge archive of BBC programmes
    Connect BBC programmes with the world of information from outside the BBC
    Share the BBC values and support our mission to inform, educate and entertain

The best integrations will do all three: they will surface the huge amount of available content (currently more than 500,000 programmes) in easy to navigate ways, they will be part of the open web, and they will entertain and inform users.

What not to do

While we do want to make our programmes to as wide an audience as possible, many of our programmes are covered by copyright. Using Nitro to try and infrige copyright is against the spirit of our open policy (and is against the terms and conditions to boot). Some other things we don\'t support are trying to pass yourself off as the BBC -- don\'t build another iPlayer, please -- and commercial exploitation of our metadata.

Next steps

You can download the developer documentation.
    Read the quickstart guide
    To register your interest and get a holding API key, create an app (registration required) and we\'ll be in touch when Nitro access opens to the public

Questions? Contact nitro@bbc.co.uk

(Now we know why things keep blowing up! Do they get paid with the wages of fear?)

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
Re: BBC Nitro
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 02:25:32 PM »
The document Nitro for Clients.pdf is quite informative, even encouraging! Perhaps there is life after 31 December, after all?

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
Re: BBC Nitro
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 12:51:18 AM »
BBC Blogs - INTERNET BLOG - Audio Factory: an overview

80. Posted by Andrew
on 28 Feb 2015 17:21

[...]

Finally on the communication point it has been a bit disappointing that the BBC haven\'t really made attempts to contact aggregators and other iPlayer related sites. I can only speak from personal experience but I\'ve had no contact from the BBC and had to learn about the changes through a site user pointing me to the September blog post. I\'m pretty sure the Beebotron (the other main website resource for iPlayer Radio WMA streams) never had any contact either.

Finally, in terms of publishing the new streams what (if any) way is there for legitimate aggregators or utility sites to get the new data? I know at one point you were going to make some of this available through BBC Nitro but I understand that project quietly died late last year.

Andrew,
Webmaster
iplayerconverter.co.uk