Author Topic: Doctor Whoooooo  (Read 533 times)

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
Re: Doctor Whoooooo
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 05:43:40 PM »
I really don\'t get the Dr Who loveathon with adults, I really don\'t, a lot of my friends are avid viewers, but it\'s a HUGE meh! from me.

I grew up with Hartnell which as a youngster I loved, I started to lose interest half way through Trougton, (an actor I enjoy) was ambivalent about Pertwee but DETESTED Baker and stopped watching for a long while though I saw the odd episode here and there.

Christopher Eccleston was a breath of fresh air and I was hooked again, but Matt Smith, good actor though he is lost all the momentum that Eccleston built up for me, as for Capaldi, I loathe watching the smug ********.

As for Sherlock, well my wife is an anorak when it comes to anything Holmes, every film, series, radio show and incarnation of it. I watch it with her and it is often clever and well done, but not essential viewing for me, I do however enjoy the American take on it in Elementary with Johnny Lee Miller, though I know a lot of purist don\'t care for it.

I am surprised by the animosity toward Cumberbatch, my best friends wife voiced exactly the same opinion as Truthy, maybe more vociferouslyvin fact, apart from becoming enormously successful, I am not sure what he has done to provoke the ire, but it is starting to spread a bit it seems.

Still, I often despise actors that are seen as National treasures or cultural Icons, (DeNiro Pacino I\'m looking at you)  I will however throw my twopennorth in , John Hurt is one of the finest actors of his or any generation, I may not always like his characters, but I can\'t recall a less than excellent performance.
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 07:34:44 PM »
Hands off Pacino! OR ELSE ! ::o

(just kiddin! though in my eyes CAN DO NO WRONG!) (:P)

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 07:43:55 PM »

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 12:29:19 PM »
I have more arguments in the \'real world\' about Pacino and DeNiro than any others I can think of Gene Hackman and Jack Nocholson are WAY better actors IMO, I love Hackman but don\'t like Nicholson, but the test I have found to determine the quality is, put five supposed great actor on the screen together with Nicholson included and I GUARANTEE Jack is the one your eyes will be on.
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 08:08:26 PM »
Well, I love Doctor Who AND Sherlock, both. I thought the River Song story line on Doctor Who was one of the best, and they\'ve had some of the most clever, not to mention terrifying aliens...I\'m thinking of The Weeping Angels and The Silence, in particular.

I liked David Tennant and never thought I\'d ever get into Matt Smith....then I loved Matt Smith even more than Tennant. I\'m having a hard time with Capaldi....I sort of look at him as a return to the original curmudgeonry of the Doctor to get by. It sort of works. :P

I love John Hurt, too, and that was a particularly good episode, imo.

I\'m certain I have a completely different take on The Doctor, as our first Doctor here in the States was Tom Baker and I STILL haven\'t seen all the old ones (though I\'m working my way through them). It\'s a totally different experience of the show than what you folks have, for sure.

As for Sherlock, I\'m with your wife on \"all thinks Holmesian\", TF. I find very few new incarnations of the originals to be satisfying (I tried to like Elementary, but ultimately failed...horribly...although I like Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Lu)....but Sherlock is definitely one of my favorites.

I love thy way they weave the cannon into the new stories. There are soooo many references to the originals. Some so subtle that only a true Holmesian would even be aware them. Mark Gattis and Steven Moffats twist on the old stories are brilliant. Love \'em to bits!

And I love Benedict Cumberbatch! :)  He is, indeed, a fine actor....and utterly shocked at his own popularity at the moment. He seems very down to earth and is always willing to laugh at himself. Adored him as Doctor Strange!

As for Pacino, DeNiro and Nicholson....they are all overrated, in my opinion. You can also throw Dustin Hoffman in there, for good measure. They usually just play themselves. I know, I know....sacrilege...but....there it is. I\'ve said it....and I feel better for it! :P

So, back to my original question (before I get beaned)....don\'t they usually do a Cybermen episode for Christmas?
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 11:00:57 PM »
I\'m with Jan on this one. I\'ve watched Dr Who since the very first episode and have enjoyed the performance of each actor playing The Dr.

For those interested, The Dr and his Tardis popped up in an episode of Class (a Dr Who spin-off) last night, and I guess may well appear in other episodes.

What I don\'t understand in this thread is the vehemence displayed by TallforaDuck when using the words, \"DETESTED Baker\" and \"as for Capaldi, I loathe watching the smug ********\". Do you mean that you loathe Capaldi depicting The Dr as being a smug ********, or do you loathe Capaldi for being a smug ******** himself?

Jan\'s criticism of her named actors is more useful as she has at least used the word \"overrated\" which is straightforward and unambiguous. (I don\'t agree with her but that\'s not what I came here to say.)

As for Jan\'s question about the Christmas episodes, having performed exhaustive research (at least two minutes worth) I can confirm that Cybermen have appeared at least twice in Christmas specials.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 12:10:48 AM »

I shall not be starc

Offline TallforaDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 12:37:21 PM »
I detest Capaldi in everything I see him in since Local Hero, where his naivete was charming, since then and with his growing confidence he has become insufferable to watch and every bit as nauseating when interviewed. He is even the worst thing in the rather wonderful Film version of Paddington.

Tom Baker gives me the fear, he comes across as creepy (but not in a good way) in most of his performances, He has become a bit of a cult hero to this generation with his Blackadder and particularly Little Britain voice overs. Speaking to a friend, who is in his late thirties, Baker is the pinnacle of Doctors in his opinion, I don\'t really suggest he was bad in the role, I just shudder when I see him act.
I\'ll add that Davidson and McCoy, two actors I quite like were so insipid in the Timelord role, I didn\'t bother tuning in after their first appearances.

Although not much positive to say on the Dr I remain fond of the Dalek movies, which although truly dreadful, have the sort of innocent charm that harks back to the William Hartnell days.

In my circle of friends it\'s quite a contentious subject Dr Who I am in the slight minority against it, but I always feel the urge to open a window when I see the last few minutes of a Capaldi episode if we have changed channels just before it ends, so as to let the stink out.
-------------------------------------------------------
> I\'m with Jan on this one. I\'ve watched Dr Who
> since the very first episode and have enjoyed the
> performance of each actor playing The Dr.
>
> For those interested, The Dr and his Tardis popped
> up in an episode of Class (a Dr Who spin-off) last
> night, and I guess may well appear in other
> episodes.
>
> What I don\'t understand in this thread is the
> vehemence displayed by TallforaDuck when using the
> words, \"DETESTED Baker\" and \"as for Capaldi, I
> loathe watching the smug ********\". Do you mean
> that you loathe Capaldi depicting The Dr as being
> a smug ********, or do you loathe Capaldi for
> being a smug ******** himself?
>
> Jan\'s criticism of her named actors is more useful
> as she has at least used the word \"overrated\"
> which is straightforward and unambiguous. (I don\'t
> agree with her but that\'s not what I came here to
> say.)
>
> As for Jan\'s question about the Christmas
> episodes, having performed exhaustive research (at
> least two minutes worth) I can confirm that
> Cybermen have appeared at least twice in Christmas
> specials.
'Anima Mea' -My Soul

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 03:46:19 PM »
Gosh I didn\'t associate the name Capaldi with Local Hero. A cult movie without doubt and such brilliant music. Never seen him in the Dr. reincarnation being allergic to all but the B&W Hartnell editions. Agree too TF on your Troughton Pertwee take but don\'t even know (mercifully perhaps) who Baker is ... Ignorance = Bliss ;-)

I shall not be starc

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 08:49:20 PM »
Janaru Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
....and I STILL haven\'t seen all the old ones (though I\'m working my way through them).

What you surely cannot escape in the old B/W episodes is some of the players displaying a level of acting as wooden as the sets, which themselves by comparison show more life when thumped or leant against!

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 12:13:23 PM »
Lol....agreed, IE, but that\'s the fun of them. I like to imagine the time they first aired and how it was for those experiencing them for the first time. I can see how they got hooked.  :)

It\'s like watching the original Star Trek episodes, for me. Some so corny (not to mention misogynistic :P ) but still fun.

So, only two Cybermen Christmas specials? Hmmmm....I could have sworn it was more.....but I defer to your expertise. :)  Maybe it just seemed right somehow to see them at Christmas.
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....