Author Topic: Problems with \"what was on\" links and the solution  (Read 493 times)

Offline raindog

• View Profile
Problems with \"what was on\" links and the solution
« on: September 01, 2014, 07:06:27 PM »
For a good few months now, the links from the \"What was on\" page always failed to be opened by vlc  (and probably any other streaming clients).

If you are hitting a similar problem, try the \"Beebotron LiteTo the maintainers of the beebotron site ; were you aware of this problem in the generation of the What Was On pages? I am programmer with loads of shell scripting experience and a very small amount of php knowledge, if you would like me to have a look at the problem let me know.

Robert

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with \"what was on\" links and the solution
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 11:57:54 PM »
Robert Hi!
We seem to have been remiss in our hospitality towards you and somehow omitted to give the hearty welcome your first post a month ago deserved.

Belatedly, if you\'ll allow, I\'ll do it now!;)

Thanks for these two helpful posts. The big boys in the engine room will no doubt read your suggestion and follow up accordingly. It is kind of you to offer. Likely there may be a good reason for the glitch. The BBC is currently changing its links system: making content available for 30 days instead of 7, then changing back again!!! From v. sketchy knowledge and a patchy memory I recollect having read posts to that effect here. Possibly that is an explanation? For my part I connect from outside Blighty so use the links you flagged though those destined for international audiences, they work well. Trawl the site a bit you\'ll discover more on the links issue.

Meantime stay tuned and keep posting.

Truthyness

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline raindog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 09:23:01 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Truthyness.
I hope What Was On is fixed soon but at least there\'s a work around

Robert

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 10:16:17 PM »
There isn\'t any workaround.The \'HQ WMA\' links are the main ones provided by the Beebotron; and the \'What Was On\' links (equivalent to those provided by the \'Beebobodge\') were the workaround, in case the main ones didn\'t work (a not infrequent occurrence, then as now*).

The changes made by the BBC months ago (probably to prepare for making programmes available for a month instead of 7 days - but this has never been officially stated by the close-mouthed BBC) had the effect, not only of breaking all the \'What Was On\' links, but of making it impossible even in principle to predict the filenames of the BBC\'s WMA streams - not only in the simple way that \'What Was On\' and the Beebobodge used to do it, but in any way whatsoever, unless one works for the BBC, and has access to the files already!

All that can be done is look at the code at the BBC website and try to work out the filenames that are already being used by the iPlayer (and implicitly also by the Beebotron\'s \'HQ WMA\' links). But this can\'t be done using only knowledge about the dates and times of broadcasts, as before.

As well as the thread \'The Beebobodge Lives?\' which you\'ve already posted to, there was a long, rambling, and often confusing (but in places very informative) discussion of the problem in the thread No international streams after 9:30am 01-May-2014.

*I was trying to summarise the situation succinctly (reining in my tendency to ramble), but I must add that, as far as I know, when these links don\'t work, it is always because of a problem at the BBC website, and never because of anything wrong at the Beebotron itself!

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 12:24:59 PM »
Welcome, from me too, Raindog! :)

As you\'ve read up-thread, it\'s doubtful there is a fix. But if you want to try and work one out....please do! I know Kronalias has his hands full with real life at the moment and probably will be for awhile.

I used that feature all the time as too, and would welcome a work around if you come up with one.

Let me know if you find one....I\'d definitely be interested! :)
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline raindog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 11:38:10 AM »
+ The What Was On pages have the \"title\" and \"sub title\" text as well as the dates and times
+ The Listen Again pages have the \"title\", \"sub title\" and the wma file name

So it seems like all the information is available from the BBC and harvested by beebotron (but in different places), just need to match the title and sub-title information to be able to generate a time based listing?

What programming language is used for the generation of the beebotron.org pages ? if someone can show me where I can find the feeds from the BBC (or upload some example files that are processed by beebotron), I\'ll see if I can do that matching in the language of choice

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 12:07:19 AM »
That is definitely a Rick or Kronalias question, Raindog. I have no idea where they come from...although I think they have posted that information on here before....long ago....so the posts may have disappeared.
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....