Author Topic: Watch out for this website  (Read 396 times)

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
Watch out for this website
« on: May 06, 2014, 01:17:01 AM »
I just stumbled into this site, when I was Googling for information on a BBC radio programme.

It came high up on a list of Google hits for \"bbc radio 28 acts in 28 minutes\".

I don\'t know what this guy is up to, but I don\'t think it can be anything good - although I\'m hoping it\'s just an attempt at humour.

If you\'re brave/daft enough to go there, in spite of my warning, it features an article about the Large Hadron Collider which is very funny peculiar, even if not funny ha-ha.

It claims to be the BBC\'s home page (that\'s illegal, for a start), and it even looks very like it, until you start to look closer.

Avast! told me it was a safe site. Hmmm...

I\'ve already phoned the BBC about it (on 03700 100 222). They told me there\'ve been several reports of spoof \'BBC\' sites.

Code: [Select]

Result of WHOIS query:

Domain name:
    bbc-now.co.uk

Registrant:
    Rostislav Simonik

Registrant type:
    Unknown

Registrant\'s address:
    Kopcianska 10
    Bratislava
    Slovakia

Registrar:
    1api GmbH [Tag = 1API-DE]
    URL: http://www.1api.net

Relevant dates:
    Registered on: 22-Jan-2014
    Expiry date:  22-Jan-2015
    Last updated:  22-Jan-2014

Registration status:
    Registered until expiry date.

Name servers:
    ns1.iwantmyname.net
    ns2.iwantmyname.net
    ns3.iwantmyname.net
    ns4.iwantmyname.net

WHOIS lookup made at 01:02:38 06-May-2014

--
This WHOIS information is provided for free by Nominet UK the central registry for .uk domain names.
This information and the .uk WHOIS are:

Copyright Nominet UK 1996 - 2014.

You may not access the .uk WHOIS or use any data from it except as permitted by the terms of use
available in full at http://www.nominet.org.uk/whoisterms,
which includes restrictions on: (A) use of the data for advertising, or its repackaging, recompilation,
redistribution or reuse (B ) obscuring, removing or hiding any or all of this notice and (C) exceeding
query rate or volume limits. The data is provided on an \'as-is\' basis and may lag behind the register.
Access may be withdrawn or restricted at any time.

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
Re: Watch out for this website
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 01:30:58 AM »
Rather than wait for the BBC to report the offence, I\'m going to send an abuse report tomorrow (no e-mail program on this PC, and it\'s past my bedtime), to the address of the registrar, here.

This is the page I first stumbled into:

BBC Radio 4 Extra - 28 Acts in 28 Minutes

and this is the \'funny\' article:

LHC re-discovered Kristinium particle

Give me Chris Morris any time!

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 03:47:06 AM »
Thanks for the warning, and welcome back.

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 06:58:59 AM »
I was particularly disturbed and worried because, earlier, several pages into the results of a Google search for \"listen bbc audio streams\", I had stumbled into a website with a URL something like \"beebhack.wikia.com/wiki/IPlayer_Radio\".

This caused some dubious-looking popups to appear (in spite of that website also having been flagged as \"safe\" by Avast!). Then Firefox started behaving very oddly indeed, first seeming to disappear altogether, and then sprouting additional windows for no reason at all.

When I later stumbled into the spoofed BBC website - with the mad (if not funny) article about the LHC, and several broken links - the whole world seemed to have gone mad! It took a while for me to convince myself that it wasn\'t an effect of the browser having been hijacked in some way; and I\'m still very much afraid that this (WinXP!) system is now teeming with undetected malware of some kind, from one or other of those sites, or from both of them.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 07:12:10 PM »
Yay! Matty\'s back! :)

Definite thanks for the heads-up on that site. Sounds deadly.

As for the XP thing, Rick is working on a tutorial for the Lubuntu OS he uses. He thinks it might be a good alternative for us abandoned XPeople. So stay tuned....there may be a solution on it\'s way....

And welcome back.
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 08:15:46 PM »
And to cap it all, yesterday was the day I finally decided it was time to do something about the Heartbleed bug, and went round everywhere entering and re-entering my passwords. #-o

I feel like such a dummy. I shouldn\'t be let near a computer.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 09:07:38 PM »
:S
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....