Author Topic: Wireless Router Problem  (Read 710 times)

Offline Lady Penelope

• View Profile
Wireless Router Problem
« on: April 20, 2014, 08:07:26 PM »
Pease bear in mind that I am a Luddite and technically incompetent, so please excuse incorrect termonology and  replies on the KISS priciple please:

The house is l00 years old and the the walls, stone and rubble, 2ft thick, incl. internal walls.

The  wired connection, the router and the PC were installed in the study.   On winter evenings I want to use the PC in the lounge (because it has a  lovely old fashioned log fire which I actually understand and is cheaper than electicity)  which is across another (windowless) large hall from the study, but the doors from both rooms into the hall are approximately oppposite each other, so I purchased a router..

When the PC was moved to the lounge the signal lowered drastically and  buffering occurred frequently  on radio and constantly on TV.

I and my builder friend, thought the probem was the thick walls and were planning to drill a hole from study to hall  
Then the man from the ISP said that would put a wall  directly between the router and inlet and diminish the signal when the PC was used inl  the study!  AS a temporary solution he has fix the router to the upper architrave of the door between study and hall.   Over a few hours testing in two days this seems to work!    The signal still reads low, but the buffering has reduced on TV and stopped on Radio.   Of course other factors, particularly time and weather, could apply!   It has also reduced the congestion on the desk (which also contains a printer and master speaker)) and the cats cradle of cables! but means I cant revert to wired connection for emails etc. if the router or wireless connection fail.

Another \"expert\" says the problem is not the walls but the space between.    He sites a location where a flat has been built on top of an office with a thick concrete floor intervening.    The signal in the flat is poor two rooms away from the router (with conventional walls) but perfect in the office below the thick concrete floor/ceiling.!!!!!!

Any suggestions??        

PS  I have tried a \"dongle\" but for complicated local availability reasons, this is not an option at the moment.

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Wireless Router Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 12:10:41 AM »
What\'s the electrical wiring like in your house?

I used to use powerline adapters. They work like wireless connections, but instead of throwing your broadband connection into the air by generating a wi-fi signal, they throw it onto your homes internal electric cabling - so you have an adapter plugged into a power socket and connected to your router via a normal network cable, and then where-ever you have a power socket in the rest of the house, you can plug another adapter into it and get your network/broadband connection there.

Heres a good article on them:
http://www.techradar.com/news/networking/powerline-networking-what-you-need-to-know-930691

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 12:16:15 AM »
ricklous Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What\'s the electrical wiring like in your house?
>
> I used to use powerline adapters.

I still use these, in addition to wi-fi and they work very well.

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 12:21:59 AM »
I would still use them too, if my new-old house hadn\'t killed them. We moved house and I\'m not sure what the state of the wiring is here, but they worked in my previous two homes and went pop soon as i plugged them in at the new house. :(

You shouldn\'t let that tale of woe put you off though LadyP, they\'re great little devices.

Offline Lady Penelope

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 07:36:04 PM »
What\'s the electrical wiring like in your house?

Not good, a UK elf and safety inspector would not just have kittens, he would have a whole brood of Easter bunnies!#-o   And the electric supply is also erratic - I have a thing called an \"Invertor\" which charges up a rank of batteries when the mains power is on and is just sufficient when the power fails  (if I want to conserve it as long as poss). to run lights - to prevent me falling over dogs and damage elderly, brittle bones - and a computer or CD player ; and hopefully prevent  power surges when the mains comes back.  I dont really want to push me luck with it anything more#-o

Anyway I doubt if the powerline adaptors are available here, and dont start me on another rant about buying on line!

Its not urgent, as it is too hot now for an open fire and soon the cooler study will be the pleasanter room and will be for several months, but thinking ahead to next winter I should be interested in your views as to whether it is the walls or the spaces between that cause the problem.

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 09:26:05 PM »
Sounds like powerline adaptors may not be a good fix then.

I\'m not sure what your expert means by \'its the spaces\', but to be honest wifi is very much a dark art and 10 techies will give you 20 opinions. Is he saying more walls are worse even if those walls seem not as thick as others? He\'s probably right there.

This would be worth a read:
http://lifehacker.com/5931743/top-10-ways-to-boost-your-home-wi-fi

Does your phone line have any extension points? Especially upstairs would be worth a try.

The biggest factors I\'ve found is - as you\'ve already found - placement of the router, and also having the router and dongles/wifi antennas in fresh air, and away from any other potential sources of electrical interference - ie almost anything electrical. If your PC has an internal wireless card (sounds like it does if you can\'t use dongles) then you can get a better signal simply by turning your PC around so the wifi signal doesn\'t have to travel through the PC itself.

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 09:49:01 PM »
Following on from ricklous\' last post above, I would have thought that of the 10 ways to boost your home wi-fi provided by the lifehacker link, number 2 would prove the most effective.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 09:55:22 PM »
\"If your PC has an internal wireless card (sounds like it does if you can\'t use dongles)\"

An ignoramus writes: I have wifi issues here. A techie bought me a dongle - a good one - it is in the form of a kind of memory stick but a bit bigger and slots into usb ports. he has, from what I gather, set up my wifi settings so I can choose to use either the laptop\'s internal wifi (card?) or the external and apparently more powerful wifi antenna (dongle?) (apols in advance if to those w/superior knowledge I appear to be speaking through the back of my neck!)

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Lady Penelope

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 08:14:43 PM »
Many thanks for all your suggestions.

The problem was not with  the Dongle (which I loved it was so easy)  but with the provider and an unreliable internet connnection.   I changed to another who didnt do dongles.[    However I hear another supplier is offering them, so may look at that for when my current contract runs out.

I\'m not sure what your expert means by \'its the spaces\', but to be honest wifi is very much a dark art and 10 techies will give you 20 opinions. Is he saying more walls are worse even if those walls seem not as thick as others? He\'s probably right there.

I meant in both cases there was another room between the router and the computer, so yes there are two walls intervening, in my case a largish hall with the doors of both rooms to the hall facing each other, but it wouldnt be practical to place either the router or PC directly in line with them.  The walls are both one foot thick stone!   Everything to do with the Internet is a dark art for me!

color=#000066]Does your phone line have any extension points? Especially upstairs would be worth a try[/color]

Err, should have said it is a bungalow with a flat roof, but with very high ceilings.!    Sorry, I dont understand where the phone comes into it, but the phone extension point is in the back bedroom through two rooms and down a corridor and I never did have any hope of getting a signal there - even witht he dongle it was weak - and Im not really worried about that.

Because of the erratic electricity supply (and my finances) I have very few electrical items, just the standard kitchen stuff , air con in bedroom only  and a small electric fire in the room where the router is.   Only the frig/freezer is normally switched on when I am using the router. Plus the invertor  (mentioned in my first post) in the hall - could that be the problem?

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 05:25:12 PM »
Forgive me if this has already been covered in the discussion...I\'m still not quite recovered from a bad stomach flu over Easter, but from my limited knowledge, it seems as though either Ethernet (a cable going from the router into the room you want) or a signal extender (basically a repeater placed inside the middle room that will pick up the signal from the router and repeat it on to the room with the fireplace) might be a solution.

As I said, I didn\'t \"get\" everything up thread so you may have already ruled those out. Just thought I\'d mention it....just in case. Good luck, Pen.
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline Lady Penelope

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 08:23:02 PM »
Glad to see you back, Jan, I was getting worried.   Sorry to hear about the flu - hope you feel better soon.

For now I just dont really have the time, money or energy let alone expertise to get involved in any more technical or even semi technical issues - fortunately it isnt urgent as it is already too warm to need  an open fire - and as you know Jan will be six months before I even think about one#-oB)

Meanwhile a friend has offered to enlarge a hole in the wall(existing hole made for a speaker cable) and feed the router through that into the hall, so there will be one less obstacle   I will see how that works!

Offline tepeethetroll

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 09:17:52 PM »
Pen - sorry to be late to the party; I have only just spotted this thread.

Your problem seems to be similar to one that I experienced some years back; old stone built house with fort-like internal walls and two inch thick floorboards. Of necessity the router was sited on the ground floor in the dining room, whilst the PC was upstairs in the smallest bedroom. My WIFI router at that time (an early Belkin model) had a very limited transmission range, and I had all sorts of problems with it. Eventually I changed my ISP and as part of the deal I got a new Thompson router with a much greater transmission range. That was the end of my problems - everything has been hunky-dory since then. I can even use my laptop down the far end of the garden.

So my question is (apologies if you have mentioned it already upthread); what make and model router are you using?
I\'m NOT paranoid......thats just what THEY want you to think!!!

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 05:11:28 PM »
Thanks, Pen. I\'m feeling a little better. :)
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....