Author Topic: AudioGO files for administration  (Read 670 times)

Offline Ed

• View Profile
Alarming developments triggered by AudioGO filing for bankruptcy
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 03:25:14 PM »
I know this is a very old thread, but in view of the fact that in all the intervening time the BBC have been unable to get any replacement for AudioGo off the ground, perhaps we should wonder whether that may be significant. By which, of course, I mean significant for us.

It was not bad management which sank AudioGo.

That was a partnership between BBC and a private company, with all of BBC's resources behind it. Yet it failed to make a profit. Even though it had the entire BBC archive to draw on, and the very deep pockets of the Corporation.

The problem it couldn't crack is that the internet provides unlimited free access to the type of material AudioGo was selling on CD (and, to a degree, as downloads). This very website, Beebotron, is dedicated to a BBC station which provides free access to a large chunk of the archive material AudioGo was selling.

And out in the wild wild west of the www, there are inumerable websites offering free OTR, including BBC shows; plus innumerable Torrents offering file sharing of that material; plus inumerable pirate sites selling (far cheaper than AudioGo were) the same material - albeit not in as good quality, but much cheaper.

The BBC seem to have concluded from AudioGo's bankruptcy that the type of commercial operation AudioGo were involved in isn't viable.

But what are BBC doing about this problem?

All of a sudden, BBC iPlayer is vanishing behind a paywall. As yet - and I emphasise the word yet - we are not being asked for any money to access it. But that is the logical next step.

In 1971 the radio licence was abolished; and, ever since, BBC radio has been funded from the TV licence fee.  But the BBC now seem to be gearing up to seek new sources of revenue. Hiding the online access to their entire tv and radio output is a logical first step in moving to a new business model, in which online access is only available by paying a subscription - on top of the Licence Fee.

Their most recent step was to extend the law, so that watching BBC tv live on line now requires a TV Licence. Now they put up a paywall. Next, they encrypt.

It's a logical progression, triggered off by the failure of their other commercial ventures, as a means of making money out of us.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: AudioGO files for administration
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2017, 08:36:20 PM »
Timely information Ed, thank you. What of Amazon's Audible, I recall getting enmeshed. Mandatory CC, hyped up twaddle about free access, lies, deceit and entrapment ... my experience at least ... echoed by complaints across the "boards"

https://www.google.be/search?q=amazon%27s+audible+is+a+scam&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=czNhWdaML4bH8AfO8bv4Dw

Sigh's to the power of infinity!

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Lothbrok

• View Profile
Re: AudioGO files for administration
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 03:21:09 PM »
Strangely, there has recently been a lot of the newest audio releases coming out via Penguin Random House Ltd, but finding out about them is somewhat difficult.  It was
only by purchasing the McLevy and Pilgrim titles Amazon flagged up the 'you might be interested in' selling point.  And the BBC has dug out some interesting stuff, such
as Lester Powell's Philip Odell series from 1958 with Robert Beatty in the title role.   Others due in the coming months include Inspector West with Patrick Allen, Maigret
with Maurice Denham, and there are others that should have been dug up for Radio 4 Extra but they do not seem ready to dig into the archives lately.  Though some of
the most recent issues have also included titles that have been on the radio fairly recently such as Raffles, Mrs Bradley, A Touch Of Frost, Dixon Of Dock Green. 
It is an odd situation as these titles come under the heading Classic Radio Crime which it surely is, but who administrates the project is not entirely clear - but as you
may know the BBC Shop site closed down a year or so ago and its only by luck I came upon this information - there is no site available to find out.  The releases are
available as cd issues as well as downloads for which you would have to fork out, and that is if you are so inclined.