Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Sunshine Superman

• View Profile
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2013, 09:23:02 PM »
Trailers for the Special, the 50th anniversary of WHO is now only a  fortnight away!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006q2x0/clips

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2013, 07:53:58 AM »
Thanks, Superman! I\'ll have to kick the kid off the PC and take a look. :)
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
Information on the forthcoming WHO programmes & tales on Radio Two and Radio Four Xtra:

Doctor Who At 50: Doctor Who And The Daleks

Saturday 16 November 6.00-6.45pm BBC RADIO 4 EXTRA

Doctor Who At 50: Protect And SurviveDoctor Who At 50: Fanfare For The Common MenDoctor Who At 50: A Thousand Tiny WingsDoctor Who At 50: Farewell Great MacedonWho Is The Doctor?

Thursday 21 November 10pm-11.30pm BBC RADIO 2

On Saturday 23 November 23 1963, BBC TV broadcast the very first episode of Doctor Who. Fifty years later, the series is the most successful drama on television. In this special documentary, Radio 2 examines the reasons for its longevity and popularity.Featuring new interviews with the cast and crew of the series, the programme looks at the lasting appeal of Doctor Who and asks how much of its continued success can be attributed to its basic formula.With archive clips and the music of Doctor Who composer Murray Gold, Who Is The Doctor? considers the character of the Time Lord across all of his regenerations and revisits the origins of the series with Waris Hussein, director of the debut Doctor Who story, An Unearthly Child.The programme also examines how the franchise survived when the show was off TV, considers the impact of the revival in 2005 and assesses the value of the series to the BBC.

Doctor Who At 50: Human ResourcesDoctor Who At 50: Dalek Invasion Of EarthWho Made WhoLucie Miller and To The Death.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2013, 11:18:01 AM »
Yay! :)

I\'ll also post in the Program Info as they come up. Or you can....

• View Profile

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2013, 06:37:21 AM »
I saw the Spoiler Alert and backed away....slowly....

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2013, 08:45:07 PM »
Janaru Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw the Spoiler Alert and backed
> away....slowly....

Well you shouldn\'t. It\'s not spoilers, it\'s not a clip from the anniversary special, it\'s a seven minute prequel to it which they want you to watch which is why the BBC and the Radio Times have put it on their websites. It\'s a must see, and it\'s absolutely incredible! :)

Offline baycruiser

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2013, 12:53:56 PM »
Sunshine Superman Wrote:
> Janaru Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I saw the Spoiler Alert and backed
> > away....slowly....
>
> Well you shouldn\'t. It\'s not spoilers, it\'s not a
> clip from the anniversary special, it\'s a seven
> minute prequel to it which they want you to
> watch
which is why the BBC and the Radio Times
> have put it on their websites. It\'s a must see,
> and it\'s absolutely incredible! :)

I would say this minisode is one of the exceptional pieces of film I have seen in a long time. Oh the thrill of seeing Paul in the role again, unfortunately I was reminded of Tim Finn and couldn\'t shake that distraction for a minute or two. I put the clip on my phone so I can watch it again and again when the mood strikes.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2013, 09:10:10 PM »
Just heard that nice Scots continuity lass refer to \"Whovians\" I\'d never heard the noun pronounced before.

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2013, 04:10:21 PM »
Thanks for setting me straight, Superman, or I\'d have missed it! I did, in fact, manage to dislodge my yung\'n from the PC and watch...it was fantastic! :)  

Sadly, I probably won\'t get to see  the Anniversary Special for quite awhile....but I am looking forward to it!

Hey, Bay! Good to see you posting! Hope all is well...or at least do-able. :)

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2013, 04:59:14 PM »
Janaru Wrote:

> Hey, Bay! Good to see you posting! Hope all is
> well...or at least do-able. :)

Hitching a ride on Jan\'s sentiment, she always hits the nail on the head. I guess the entire world is thinking of your pretty islands, lets just hope the help is now starting to get through.

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline IvorThirst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2013, 11:04:23 PM »
To those who have access to BBC TV live shows, BBC FOUR is currently (as in right now - 22:58 on Thurs 21/11/13) showing the first ever episode entitled \"An Unearthly Child\".
.       Ivor

The original and real cat with the swishy tail.
Accept no imitations.

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2013, 10:21:38 PM »
Just watched An Adventure In Space And Time again via the Iplayer. Truly a wonderful recreation of the roots of the show, and it was a smashing approach taken, to centre it round William Hartnell and how the magic of the show\'s premise took him over heart and soul, much the same as Scrooge was transformed a century earlier.

The two most magic moments for me were his tragic \"I don\'t want to go\" moment, foreshadowing Ten\'s anguish and use of those words before his regeneration, and his misery at filming his final scene but getting a glimpse into the future and seeing Eleven and joyously realising his legacy will go on for decades.

Offline IvorThirst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2013, 11:32:34 PM »
It was a great show, Supe. Some of what was shown was new to me and a lot I had forgotten. I\'m afraid that I sat there with the Radio Times on my lap as I looked up the character names as well as the actors names. I\'m also sorry that the 4 episodes of the first story are not available on iPlayer - these damned copyright rules.
.       Ivor

The original and real cat with the swishy tail.
Accept no imitations.

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2013, 08:57:55 AM »
May not be available to watch again, but the dvd box set of this (An Unearthly Child) , and the following two stories, The Daleks and The Edge Of Destruction (so, the first 13 episodes) plus quite a few documentaries on the creation of the show, have been out for some time now, so can be obtained ridiculously cheap. Here\'s such a link:

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/848515/Doctor-Who-The-Beginning-Box-Set/Product.html

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Beginning-Unearthly-Destruction/dp/B000C6EMTC/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1385196937&sr=1-1&keywords=Doctor+Who+The+Beginning