Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Sunshine Superman

• View Profile
Doctor Who
« on: August 04, 2013, 10:49:54 AM »
Nearly all of the classic run of WHO (that is, between 1963 and 1989 inclusive) is out on dvd. In fact, some of the serials have been brought out for a 2nd time, in what they call \'Special Editions\',  for which the techie bods of the Digital Restoration Team have been able to clean up and restore the picture and sound quality to an even better standard  than they did for the first dvd release.

Anyway, so I decided at the end of last year that I\'d begin a rewatch of the colour years, for which all episodes survive and I have most all of \'em and am buying the remaining ones as the price comes down.  This is, of course, beginning with Jon Pertwee\'s first adventure from 1970, Spearhead From Space.

I began on the first Saturday ofJanuary 2013 I watch one (consecutive) episode every Saturday. At any time, but it has to be on the Saturday. If I forget, or miss, an episode, then that\'s it. No catch up in the following week, or double episodes the following Saturday. They couldn\'t do that first time round, no repeats, no videos or dvds, so I\'m not doing it now.

Yesterday (Saturday 3rd August) I watched ep 2 of The Mind Of Evil.  I\'ve reached 1971, Pertwee\'s Year 2.  Liz Shaw has left after one year. Jo Grant has replaced her, and The Master has appeared in the Whoniverse.

I can watch the episode twice if I choose to, when I watch it. First watch is either as it was, or with the information text running across at the bottom of the screen. This is stuff that\'s been researched by the Who boffins and fans from the BBC archives, from working versions and drafts of the script,  and from the files. Second watch, if I choose to do it, is be with the commentary on.

This\'ll take me quite a few years to get through, but I\'m enjoying it. :)

Anyway, up to date. The new Doctor will be announced tonight on a live show on BBC1 between 7 and 7:30. This is being broadcast simoultaneously on BBC America in the states, and on channels that show WHO in Australia and in Canada; with a view to preventing internet spoilers for the fans, I guess.

Me, I want an older Doctor, and ideally someone I\'ve never heard of before. And I\'d like him to stay for longer than the seemingly standard 3 years.  Tom Baker stayed for seven.

Offline baycruiser

• View Profile
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 11:40:02 AM »
I\'d like an older Doctor too, not quite John Hurt, but someone definitely older than Tennant...even older than Eccleston. A baby boomer Doctor would probably fit the bill. There must be some \"unknown\" of the right age but are there any unknowns left?. Not sure who I want. But I did like the departure from the soppy companion/Doctor ships. I\'d love to see another Doctor/Donna type coupling. I have not seen all of Matt Smith\'s episodes (I have them all on my Samsung Tab), but I guess it is ok to watch them now....his tenure isn\'t as bad as some have said, was it?

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 02:11:40 PM »
Matt has had some great tales. The one about the little boy and the dolls house is as good in terms of psychological horror & suspense as anything Hitchcock ever did,  and the one with Vincent Van Gogh in, my personal favourite, treats mental health and its subject as reverently as you could wish for.  Hard to believe it was written by the author of The Vicar Of Dibley and the co-writer of Blackadder, but there you are. That\'s versatility for you! (tu)

Looking forward to Matt Smith, David Tennant, John Hurt and ?* on November 23rd, which obligingly enough, falls again on a Saturday as it did 50 years ago! :)

*one of the original Doctors, by all accounts, will also appear. ::o

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 03:20:15 PM »
Sunshine Superman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I began on the first Saturday ofJanuary 2013 I
> watch one (consecutive) episode every Saturday. At
> any time, but it has to be on the Saturday. If I
> forget, or miss, an episode, then that\'s it. No
> catch up in the following week, or double episodes
> the following Saturday. They couldn\'t do that
> first time round, no repeats, no videos or dvds,
> so I\'m not doing it now.

Don\'t forget to pull the plug at random times for that authentic 1970s \"the electricity workers have gone on strike again\" feel.

Offline IvorThirst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 03:22:01 PM »
I\'d like some stability in the Who-presence, as well. I\'d like one that I could happily have as my avatar.

One possibility for a future doctor is Jenny (Georgia Moffett), a two-fold Doctor\'s daughter; derived from the tenth Doctor\'s DNA and an actress whose parents are Peter Davison (fifth Doctor) and Sandra Dickinson (Trillian in H2G2).
.       Ivor

The original and real cat with the swishy tail.
Accept no imitations.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 07:40:04 PM »
So - Peter Capaldi is the new Doctor Who!

He\'s been in the show already - in the one set in Pompeii at the time of the volcano eruption, opposite David Tennant and Catherine Tate.  Mind you, so had Colin Baker, who appeared as a Time Lord security officer in the Peter Davison era.  He shot Peter, in fact! :D

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 10:13:37 PM »
Sunshine Superman Wrote:
> So - Peter Capaldi is the new Doctor Who!

I know it\'s not going to happen, but I would love to see a spoof episode where he melds the persona of Malcolm Tucker with that of the Doctor. The Daleks wouldn\'t know which way to turn!

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 11:05:47 PM »
\"Air ... turning ... blue! ... Out of control! ... Out of control!\"

Offline baycruiser

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 12:35:56 AM »
Wonder if there will be any reference to \"volcano day\" ever?  Never really even thought of Peter as a possible Doctor. He does fall into the catagory of a known unknown (if you don\'t watch The Thick of it, I haven\'t seen any episodes yet--I\'d love to though). Will he be allowed to use his Scots accent? I like the news. Will have to look out for Pete\'s best friend Craig Ferguson\'s reaction to his casting. CF is probably one of the biggest proponents of DW in the US, with a model of the TARDIS on display on his desk (prominently on camera I might add) so this is probably a double happy whammy for Craig. Is Moffatt staying on as headwriter?

Pete was standout in the film Local Hero for me, also liked him in The Lair of the White Worm. I liked his character in Field of Blood (BBC period murder mystery) a couple of years back.

\\\\\\

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 02:17:02 PM »
What a cool idea to watch them like that, Superman. Love it! :)

So, Peter Capaldi is the new Doctor? Now I just have to find out who he is. I know...Who...that\'s who. :P

I had heard some speculation that the new Doctor might be a woman....Billy Pipers name was even bandied about at one point. Not sure how I\'d feel about a woman Doctor....might be interesting...

As for Matt Smith, it took me awhile to get used to him, but once I did I absolutely loved him. Those stories were some of the best I\'ve ever seen.
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 10:32:53 PM »
Ironeyes Wrote:
> Sunshine Superman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So - Peter Capaldi is the new Doctor Who!
>
> I know it\'s not going to happen, but I would love
> to see a spoof episode where he melds the persona
> of Malcolm Tucker with that of the Doctor.
The
> Daleks wouldn\'t know which way to turn!

Already been done a few times on youtube, I\'m told! People have been frightfully busy since Sunday night\'s announcement!

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 10:39:32 PM »
Janaru Wrote:
> What a cool idea to watch them like that,
> Superman. Love it! :)
>
> So, Peter Capaldi is the new Doctor? Now I just
> have to find out who he is
. I know...Who...that\'s
> who. :P
>
>
> I had heard some speculation that the new Doctor
> might be a woman....Billy Pipers name was even
> bandied about at one point. Not sure how I\'d feel
> about a woman Doctor....might be interesting...
>
> As for Matt Smith, it took me awhile to get used
> to him, but once I did I absolutely loved him.
> Those stories were some of the best I\'ve ever
> seen.

Well, he\'s 55 for a start. The same age that William Hartnell was when he took the part, 50 years ago! I really think it\'ll be wonderful with an \'old\' Doctor in charge once again.

And if you watch Doctor Who and Torchwood you\'ll already have seen him. He was the Roman senator and father in whose household the Doctor stayed, in that episode The Fires Of Pompeii with David Tennant and Catherine Tate.  The Doctor took that family to safety as the lava poured down, you may remember.

He was also in that 5-episode Torchwood saga, Children Of Earth, as the senior politician who eventually took his own life, while his cabinet struggled with the responsibilities of handing over Earth\'s children to those creatures.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 03:42:29 PM »
I do remember the Pompeii episode. I checked images for him on Google and I remember him now. I think he\'ll make a pretty good Doctor! :)

I only saw one Torchwood episode.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 06:02:35 PM »
Has everyone seen the picture of David Bradley as William Hartnell as the Doctor in the upcoming An Adventure In Time And Space, the story of the show\'s birth and early years?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23267085

Now, the Guv\'nor: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_X4RNkqIBoBk/TTVdpHWhEWI/AAAAAAAAACA/2uH7uxPD8O4/s320/6410_gall_003.jpg

http://www.gbposters.com/images/originals/0003/6826/doctor-who.jpg

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 02:18:06 PM »
I saw the article but not the picture. From what I remember, he should do pretty well.