Author Topic: reading through gadgets  (Read 2502 times)

Offline baycruiser

• View Profile
reading through gadgets
« on: July 07, 2013, 04:05:38 AM »
I know tablets are sold on the strength of books you can read on these gadgets but recently I discovered I could pile on books in my android phone too. Wow! Movies, music and books plus I have a phone too? Why wasn\'t that a selling point? 200 books hardly takes up room. A big book takes up a mg or two.

It\'s not too difficult to read on my phone although it\'s only a 4 inch screen (4\"x2\")

I have a Samsung tablet too and it didn\'t come with software that displays books. It will probably be more comfortable to read books on the tablet (it has a 10 inch screen) but because the battery runs down so quickly on the thing it is not too convenient to bring with me everywhere although a nice feature on it is a phone (there is a slot for a simcard, and I can use it in the US as well as in Asia).

I\'ve collected a lot of books and I can\'t wait to start. I began with Astronaut Wives Club by Lily Kopple. It is another take on the American space program. If you are familiar with the HBO series From the Earth to the Moon, you might remember an episode which featured the wives. A few years ago I saw a program on PBS (although I think it was produced by the BBC), which covered a reunion gathering of astronaut wives (mostly Apollo era). It is interesting to see the lives of these women who basically kept the house going (like any other service wife), only to be discarded after the missions are over. Only a handful of Apollo astronauts are with the wives they had while at NASA. I also have the biography of astronaut Neil Armstrong called First Man.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: reading through gadgets
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 08:16:50 PM »
Have you tried Kindle software? I have it for my PC, though I don\'t use it much. For me reading is an experience and the e-books just don\'t do it for me at all.

I did see that episode with the astronauts wives, Mars. What an eyeopener that was, eh? That is well worth watching if anyone gets the chance.
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline tepeethetroll

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 08:57:45 PM »
Think I will stick with my Kindle, my Sansa MP3 player and my (ancient) Sony Ericsson mobile. Apart from having a preference for gadgets designed to do a particular job - easier to get my fuddled brain around one thing at a time - I can console myself with the thought that should the battery expire on one device, I still have the other two to fall back on.
I\'m NOT paranoid......thats just what THEY want you to think!!!

Offline baycruiser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 02:55:00 AM »
I love the thought of having my entire library at my fingertips though.  I didn\'t see anything I liked about the Kindle or Nook, at least my Samsung is also a phone (a huge phone which makes you look silly holding it up to your ear--it\'s a ten inch screen after all) and I can write and sketch on it too like a notepad. It plays music, video also and can surf the net so basically is a small laptop. I nearly bought a netbook, but the tablet just seemed more practical.

Offline Kronalias

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 10:33:43 PM »
I love the thought of having my entire library at my fingertips

Me too, but it\'s a sod to look after on something like a Kindle.

That\'s where Calibre comes in - it\'s open source (i.e, free), cross platform (i.e. Linux, Windows, etc) and cross reader (Kindle, Nook, Android etc). The learning curve is worth persevering with, and it\'s HERE.

Offline baycruiser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 12:32:28 AM »
what is the size of a kindle? Like I said my Samsung is 10\" and is very comfortable to read, although I can read my books on a four inch screen too. I would rather read on a phone than on a laptop. It\'s kinda hard to curl up with a book on a laptop. Just wish these android gadgets weren\'t energy hogs, battery runs down quicker than on my old Nokia. I could usually count on a charge to last a week on the old push button Nokia, sometimes more. I am lucky if I can get through an entire day before recharging my android gadget.

Offline tepeethetroll

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 09:05:34 PM »
Me too, but it\'s a sod to look after on something like a Kindle.

In what way do you mean Kron?

I don\'t have any problems, but then again all I do is download a book, read it and then delete it from the device. If I ever want to go back to it, I can always get it back again from the Amazon library. The only time I have any sort of trouble is when we are staying at my MIL\'s house near Plymouth - no WIFI and have to go for a half mile walk up a very steep hill to get a 3G signal.

Another little thing - I always buy books of short stories on paper, cos I have a tendency to flit around the stories like a butterfly rather than reading from cover to cover.

I also use Calibre but only where I have bought ebooks that are not in MOBI format, and have to reformat them before I copy onto the Kindle.
I\'m NOT paranoid......thats just what THEY want you to think!!!