Author Topic: RD rendered useless  (Read 1317 times)

Offline baycruiser

• View Profile
RD rendered useless
« on: June 29, 2013, 10:31:22 PM »
Just powered up Radio Downloader and I got an error message which brought me to the nerdoftheherd site. There I found a message from the program developer, Matt, saying he\'s had to disable BBC Radio Provider due to a request from the BBC (wonder how much they leaned on him this time?)

http://www.nerdoftheherd.com/?newsid=75&utm_source=Radio+Downloader+0.26.2.0&utm_medium=desktop&utm_campaign=Error+Report

I can\'t seem to download streams from the Beebotron either (using Net Transfer). Tried using iLivid but that didn\'t work either.

So I suppose this is the end of the ride? I am not sure I am going fast enough to do stream recording, I guess I will find out soon

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: RD rendered useless
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 10:48:46 PM »
Sorry to hear this Mars, isn\'t there an alternative to RD?

You might try contacting the IT Fairy and ask if he has any wisdom to offer.

I\'m probably right off message with the next link but on the off-chance :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awM89yYzZXA

Then there\'s this: http://www.wondershare.com/audio/download-bbc-radio-to-ipod.html

It\'s just a matter of time before an operational alternative pops up, I\'m thinking ...

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline baycruiser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 11:12:50 PM »
Thanks Tru, I hope you are right. It\'s not that I don\'t have enough, but there are some good programs airing in the coming weeks I\'d like copies of.

BTW IT Fairy only recommends RD, so I guess I have let them know recent developements

Adding the link to an Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/bbc-expands-iplayer-radio-downloads-to-seven-days-8634911.html

I love how these people we put in charge of us will stop something from working now so they can implement something next year. What are we supposed to do in the meantime?

I found something called iplayerconverter  http://www.iplayerconverter.co.uk. It\'s like beebotron, but it converts the link to something NetTransport can understand and download. RD was a great program and I am surprised it\'s been allowed to go this long.

EDIT: Have you guys read any news pieces about the new BBC iplayer downloads starting next year? You can keep the file for 30 days after the download and it will expire 7 days after you listen to it. Basically it\'s \"this tape will self destruct in ... minutes. Good luck Jim\". I am almost sure by the time this is ready to roll, someone will have figured out how to strip the downloads of the proprietory protection. It\'s easy enough to strip Apple iTunes of their coding, it probably won\'t be too difficult to strip Auntie\'s files.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 12:54:16 AM »
I\'m gonna be zero help with this one, I\'m afraid. I never have been able to make RD work on Bast*rd.

I\'ll keep my eyes open though. If I come across anything that might help I\'ll let you know.
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline Forget_It

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 08:51:07 AM »
NT still works for me - I use the intentationalised links
such as:
mms://wm.bbc.co.uk/wms/radio4fmcoyopa/radio_4_fm_-_saturday_1430.wma?SatPlay

hope that helps

Offline baycruiser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 12:59:41 PM »
Thanks Forget it, I forgot which to choose (A or B ) to get the program to download. In my panic I just gave up on Beebotron and found something else. I used A and kept timing out on NT. At least now when I use Beebotron, I won\'t have to toggle between Chrome and Explorer, it is just a matter of changing part of the link. iPlayer Converter was a pain with all the toggling.

As it is the weekend started off badly on the podcast front. The one program I get from my home area in CA didn\'t update their podcast page to include Friday\'s show. The show aired, but the site is having trouble providing podcasts. Not sure if it is the radio station itself or Clear Channel. Hope they clear up the trouble by tomorrow.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 05:11:43 PM »
I use Firefox when resorting to What was on links at the Beebotron and, being outside Blighty like you Mars, need to click \"B\" to access the progs. Not sure what you mean by toggle though, all I have to do is select which listening software I want to use in the pop up window that appears.

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline More Drama Queen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 06:29:11 PM »
Got back from holiday to catch up on downloading all my favourite programmes to see the same devastating message on Radio Downloader. I am a complete dunce technically and can\'t even start to use Beebotron as mentioned here. I found the list of R4x programes, saw the  A and B option. I live overseas and saw from the above thread about using B instead, but that didn\'t get me anywhere other than listening, saving didn\'t work. Listening is not the problem, I need to save programmes so I can listen as and when. I know you guys are good at explaining, that\'s how I got into RD, so please can anyone offer some idiot-proof instructions? We have really low bandwith here (Mauritius) and I am using my laptop but also use my ipad and Tune-in Radio, which does have some recording capability (if you have the paid version), which works ok but is not as userfriendly as RD was. Any help much appreciated!

Offline gbgian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 12:31:33 PM »
Forget_It Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NT still works for me - I use the
> intentationalised links
> such as:
> mms://wm.bbc.co.uk/wms/radio4fmcoyopa/radio_4_fm_-
> _saturday_1430.wma?SatPlay
>
> hope that helps
Sad at the demise of RD, thinking of getting NT, but where do you find these international links? Please.
[Corporal Nobbs had been disqualified from the human race for shoving. Sir Terry Pratchett]

Offline baycruiser

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 01:52:21 PM »
The main page you should concern yourself with is the What Was On page http://beebotron.org/public3/public_wwo3/wwo3_index.html?reload

Just click on the day of the broadcast you want to keep and find the program, right clicking on \"B\", but you will have to change the http to mms and copy/paste the url to a file transfer program like Net Transfer. I use the old, free version (pub date 2004).

Offline More Drama Queen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 05:46:39 PM »
Well, thanks, baycruiser, for the reply but am somewhat hindered by my extreme lack of computer savvy. Was happy with the \'what was on page\' bit and the right click on B and then didn\'t get anywhere as I don\'t know what net transfer is, so wandered off to find that to download but came up with a load of unrelated rubbish. Bit lost on the http to mms bit as well! Out of my depth! Can you dumb down the instructions and point me to where I can find the NT doodah, please? Thanks again.
Really sad about Radio Downloader tho, what a brill service that was, especially having your subscriptions so you could automatically record all episodes of your favourites. Don\'t suppose that will ever be matched. Sigh.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 02:30:49 AM »
More Drama Queen,
I\'m as un computer savvy as the next girl! From Brussels tuning in to the WWO pages using XP Operating System and a Firefox browser no action at all is required of me. From the relevant WWO page I click option B next to the programme selected and a pop-up window appears asking which audio software to select. I choose Media Player (Microsoft) and after a few seconds the sound streams out.

It may be that you are on a Mac in which case I know zero, or that your OS parameters need to be set to ensure the link between your web browser and audio software kicks in automatically. I would have thought any average computer teckie should be able to advise you.

Don\'t give up, Beebotron has designed the solution for you/us. It may take a couple of tweaks to your \"settings\" before the whole thing whirrs into action though so hang on in there.

I shall not be starc

Offline baycruiser

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 02:44:32 AM »
I actually sent DQ a PM a step by step method of how to use Beebotron links which begs the question, should we keep the alternative methods to RD in the PM realm? I suspect this board is public so anyone from the BBC can read where we are all going now that RD is gone.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 09:21:13 AM »
Toward the end of last weeks episode of Feedback they spoke about the closing of Radio Downloader...if anyone is interested.

(There\'s also some info regarding the bonuses received by some of the BBC big wigs)
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....