Author Topic: Pages are loading faster now  (Read 2889 times)

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
Pages are loading faster now
« on: November 02, 2012, 12:06:28 PM »
Has the Beebotron website software been updated recently? All pages are loading much faster on my computer now.

Offline ricklous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Pages are loading faster now
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 10:39:12 PM »
Nope.

This bring back a memory...a handful of years ago i worked on the maintenance contract for a \'flagship\' rail companies brand new trains. My role was very simple, but the folks who were doing the real work had a theory - they thought that the maintenance manual, which was almost as large as the train itself, should be replaced with one 500 pages thick. Page one would have the name of the train and the words \"Maintenance Manual\" and the other 499 pages would be blank. This would be due to how three faults would occur while the engineers were attempting to fix one. So by not attempting to fix anything, they\'d cut the fault list by 3/4ths.

Which is a long way round for me to say, I\'ve spent the last three weeks preparing and then executing an unplanned house move, and thus haven\'t touched or even monitored the server/website in the same period of time. I\'m sort of quite chuffed with how it seems to just tick along while I\'m doing other stuff, and even improves itself while my backs turned.

Of course, King K may have been tinkering with the actual mechanics of the website, but at least from my side, i\'m innocent!

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 11:08:29 PM »
Must be some quirk of my system, then. (It certainly has quirks.) I wish I knew how to make it happen on a regular basis.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 02:45:29 AM »
For what it\'s worth, my experience is that speed here is a now and again affair. Sometimes pages load super fast and others ... weeeell they need to take their time. Daringly I recently ran a \"registry clean\" programme. (Not something I\'d advise as the action can erase important \"connective tissue\" within the OS resulting in maddening dysfunctions.) and I had the impression downloading was faster in general, but then again being technically illiterate, it is likely the process has no bearing on page loading!!!

Where the internet is concerned there must be so many imponderables... I\'d be surprised if gauging the real speed of any site was a precise science (sophisticated stats services notwithstanding).

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline baycruiser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 04:15:07 AM »
I am just catching up to technology being here in Asia and without the distractions of work. I just learned of the existence of a dual sim phone ( as stated on the tin, a phone you can put two sim cards, one for the US and one for Asia so you don\'t run the risk of losing any of your sim cards).

Does an iPad have a place for a sim card? Or is it all wifi? The tablet I saw here has wifi and a sim card port.

As I mentioned before, I am accessing the internet with a usb modem with a cell phone simcard. I am going a bit faster than dialup but slower than lanline or broadband/wifi. The neat trick is no one can piggy back on your signal like on wifi, which I like. Wonder if this technology will fly in the US? The maker of the modem stick is Huawei which is just starting to enter the US market.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 06:30:32 AM »
Mine is on again/off again too, Tru.
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline baycruiser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 08:45:41 AM »
Things are going faster now here.

Offline IvorThirst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 02:10:18 PM »
I decided to look at defragging my drives, this week. I defragged my smallest drive (12GB) and it seemed to take most of the afternoon so I\'m not rushing to do the rest.
.       Ivor

The original and real cat with the swishy tail.
Accept no imitations.

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 02:52:52 PM »
12GB? Luxury! I\'ve got a working IBM Aptiva, made in 1996, running Windows 95B (also Mandrake Linux 2.1, I think), with a 1.6GB drive (to which I added a mighty, whopping 3.2GB second drive).

(\"1.6GB? We used to dream of having a 1.6GB drive.\" Etc.)

Offline IvorThirst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 05:04:54 PM »
OK! I won\'t tell you how much memory I have available.
.       Ivor

The original and real cat with the swishy tail.
Accept no imitations.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 07:30:13 PM »
baycruiser Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am just catching up to technology
[/]...[/]  I just
> learned of the existence of a dual sim phone ( as
> stated on the tin, a phone you can put two sim
> cards, one for the US and one for Asia so you
> don\'t run the risk of losing any of your sim
> cards).

We raised dual sim carriers here Mars ... and it\'s not just a matter of using one for Asia \'t other for America ... more a case of being able to switch ensure best value from two separate providers ... i.e.: one for a 3 or 4G provider (That\'s data) another to the provider with more competitive \'phone costs ...

I\'m guessing if Huawei offers dual sim for \'phones they likely do so for pads ... tablets, etc.

> As I mentioned before, I am accessing the internet
> with a usb modem with a cell phone simcard. I am
> going a bit faster than dialup but slower than
> lanline or broadband/wifi. The neat trick is no
> one can piggy back on your signal like on wifi,
> which I like. Wonder if this technology will fly
> in the US? The maker of the modem stick is Huawei
> which is just starting to enter the US market.

Huawei is HUGE, it\'s a Microsoft equivalent in China and main provider of hardware (mobile phone antenna in Europe ... from our earlier chats you seemed to say they provide same kind of hardware kit States side too.)

Friends who are savvier say roaming technology in Asia is faster than broadband is in the West! Eat your hearts out guys!
Harking back to the thread referred to above, no one ever did get back to offer enlightenment on how to pick up 4X on roaming smart phones ...

Meantime, I have, finally, started to get a vague feel for my Galaxy II ... 3 months after purchase ... having to take lessons (kid ya not!). The reason I didn\'t have the guts to buy the Huawei (at least 30% cheaper with far greater capacity not to mention dual sim) was because I doubted anyone would be able to show me on how to use it and no instruction book in the \"for dummies\" collection exists yet!!!

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 07:46:18 PM »
IvorThirst Wrote:
> I decided to look at defragging my drives, this
> week. I defragged my smallest drive (12GB) and it
> seemed to take most of the afternoon so I\'m not
> rushing to do the rest.

I defrag over night to avoid blocking the system during \"daytime\" hours when system is chiefly being used.

I shall not be starc

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 07:50:44 PM »
IvorThirst Wrote:
> OK! I won\'t tell you how much memory I have
> available.

Pssssssssst: he can\'t remembmer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I shall not be starc

Offline baycruiser

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 08:01:14 PM »
Man what a choice to make now?! A Galaxy III or a Tab 2 10.1? Gadget shopping here is not like shopping in the US. Here there\'s a mall where all you find are electronics and they price their stuff pretty low compared to the US and the attractive bonus are 1) the gadgets are unlocked (not locked to any provider) and 2) you can have honest side by side comparison Apple v Samsung. Yeah amazing how much Asia has progressed ahead of at least the US where internet connectivity is concerned. Imagine if they had the complete set of tools (i.e. knowing exactly how Americans think and work the internet) they could take over the US economy without really trying.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »
Ha!

I shall not be starc