Author Topic: Two for the price of one  (Read 953 times)

Offline Lady Penelope

• View Profile
Two for the price of one
« on: February 25, 2012, 10:11:47 PM »
It must be like buses - none for ages and then two come at once.

Having almost given us hope of a decent reading, there are now two in the same week onR4X

WARNING;   This thread not only contains possible spoiler, but has a reference to the dreaded you know what!

I am always amazed that I have seen/watched/read Three Men in a Boat so many times in so many versions and  I  still laugh at . It is interesting to have a straight reading soon after the musical version.  Sadly its abridged, and I think the reader overdoes the \"put some expression it \" a tad for the benefit of the (distracting) audience, but hey its a reading , dont kock it, and it makes pleasant listening.

The Day of the Triffids\" , another oldie - but not quite so old as I can remember it first being published (and very shocking it was considered at the time!)

I was doubtful whether to listen as, again I had read the book several times and heard a dramatisation (R7/4X?),    In the event I find myself riveted by it.

Near perfectly reading  - pleasant voice, bland accent, and just enough expression not to be boring, the reader does not try to draw attention to himself at the expense of the author\'s words.

A curious thing: I had always been unsure exactly how the triffids got there in the first place.    I think I probably speed read the chapter (which does rather interefere with the pace of the plot)  explaining this and it was cut or too much abbreviated in the dramatisation.   Shows the value of a good unabridge reading - removes the temptation to skip!   John Wyndham certainly saw into part of the future and I found myself thinking \" there I knew all this tampering with plants was dangerous \" and then realising that GM modification did not exist in those days.  Or did it?  Or did reading the book at an early and susceptible  age influence my sub conscious ?  Or is it all really Brian Aldridge\'s fault?   Anyway I am sure that sensible science fiction (and maybe radio soaps?) has/have a valueable role in making us think about these issues.   Only time will tell if we are to see triffids stalking about Ambridge.

Anyway I cant wait to find out if this time round I can work out what caused the blinding lighting effects in the sky and whether or not there was any link to the dangerous vegetables.     have always thought that this ambituity was a major stumbling block in an otherwise thought provoking and entertaining book.

Offline tepeethetroll

• View Profile
Re: Two for the price of one
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 09:28:09 PM »
I recall hearing the \"Triffids\" unabridged reading a while back now. Shortly afterwards they also broadcast an unabridged reading of \"The Kraken Wakes\". I was sure that I had recorded both of them for future relistening (no such word, but you know what I mean), but cant seem to find them now. The only problem with both readings was that they had been timed to a very precise slot, so you would - for example - come to the end of chapter one, the reader would announce \"Chapter Two\", read about six lines and then come to an abrupt stop. The following day the reading would continue from the exact point at which the previous day\'s had terminated. I have to say that I found this a mite strange, but I guess thats whats going to happen if you want a word for word rendition.

With regard to the genesis of the Triffids: as I say, I can\'t find my recordings so I will have to dig out my copy of the book and reread the beginning. As far as I remember, the lights in the sky (meteorites ?) had a double purpose. Firstly to make the animal life on Earth vunerable by causing blindness, and secondly to bring into the Earths atmosphere a mutant gene which kicked the Triffids into carnivore mode.

Then again, I could be completely and utterly wrong 8-)
I\'m NOT paranoid......thats just what THEY want you to think!!!

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 10:40:37 AM »
I thought this was the first outing for Day of The Triffids. First I\'ve heard it anyway. My husband and I are really enjoying it. I\'m hoping that if this one gets a good response, perhaps there will be a few more.
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline IvorThirst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 12:41:49 PM »
It\'s not been on for about 4 years, but it\'s been on BBC7 four times.
.       Ivor

The original and real cat with the swishy tail.
Accept no imitations.

Offline Lady Penelope

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 04:24:11 PM »
You could be right Teepee!   But who done it!    The implication in the early episode was that it was the Russians/then Soveit bloc that developed the mutated plant - but I doubt if they had the technology then for the lights in the sky.   Maybe all will be revealed later!

HM Jan  - R7/4X (unless my memory has gone completely haywire) has \"done\" several John Wyndhams - but as dramatisations - The Kraken Wakes, The Midwich Cuckoos , Choky  and a couple of others but no doutt someone will have more details.   I hope they now the Kraken Wakes as an unabridged reading.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 06:12:52 PM »
Ah. Yeah, I\'ve heard a lot of the others but somehow I missed this one. @\'.2\'@
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....