Author Topic: Your Favourite Black and White Films  (Read 3270 times)

Offline Sunshine Superman

• View Profile
Re: Your Favourite Black and White Films
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2012, 10:08:11 PM »
becky sharp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After a quick skim through what already has been
> posted I don\'t think The Lady Vanishes with
> Margaret Lockwood, Michael Redgrave and Dame May
> Whitty has been mentioned ....apologies if it has
> ....
>
> A new version of it is being made by the BBC
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19288
> 852
>
> The original will take some beating....

Apparently the new version of The Lady Vanishes won\'t have Charters and Caldicott in it. They were in the film not the book that the film was made from, and the BBC are going back to the book....

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2012, 11:44:26 AM »
That should be interesting.
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline Sunshine Superman

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2014, 08:30:46 PM »

Offline IvorThirst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2014, 09:39:09 PM »
WOW! I didn\'t realise that Harry Potter was in Black and White!
.       Ivor

The original and real cat with the swishy tail.
Accept no imitations.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2014, 11:06:32 PM »
Saw Calendar Girls not so long ago and enjoyed it. It was the first time the much vaunted Helen Mirren made any impact. Though she is eclipsed in the film, imo, by Julie Walters, in part due to the more subtle role the latter had. In any event HM does act over the top a tad too much for my taste.

Has anyone mentioned Casablanca? Or La Strada? or Billy Bud? The last if only to feast one\'s eyes on the stunning Terence Stamp. Johnny Dep echoes his looks somewhat though in a duller more effeminate way! One of TS\'s first films ... and as Smiley\'s Connie might say \"Gggggorgeous\".

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2014, 09:59:34 PM »
Well, I\'ve now seen SOME LIKE IT HOT and IT\'S A WONDERFUL LIFE for the first time!

\'Some\', I loved, a terrifically wonderful slapstick comedy, great performances by one and all. Never much seen the magic of Monroe before, in all the stills and photos of her that I\'ve seen, but watching her talk and move and sing, omg she\'s wonderful.. 8/10

Glad you finally saw them, Superman! Some Like It Hot is one of my favorites. Marilyn IS wonderful! They made so much of her looks (and she was gorgeous!) but they never gave her props for being a comedy genius! Her timing was impeccable!

As for IAWL that is also one of my favorites and a Christmas tradition \'round here. :)

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2014, 11:20:14 PM »
Her looks were somewhat \"prompted\" by some very competent plastic surgery. So what! I\'ve always adored her. BB and MM are unchallenged stars of the past 100 years imo.

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline baycruiser

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2014, 12:24:33 AM »
I have to add Arsenic and Old Lace just for the pure slapstick of it all. Cary Grant is a genius of timing too (this is one of the screwball comedies Grant did, in addition to Bringing up Baby, My Girl Friday, etc.). This is a great one to put on when you feel low.

The other one I love is The Women. Nothing like women being catty with style, women today could learn a lesson from these ladies. The scene to watch out for especially is when everyone meets up in Reno waiting for their divorces to become final (a process called being Reno-vated). I agree with the previous mentions, but I had to add these two at least.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2014, 08:12:40 PM »
I thought I\'d done Arsenic and Old Lace. Can\'t believe I missed that one! One of my all time favs.

Offline Parsival

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2014, 03:35:40 PM »
If you go back to the \"Empty House\" thread you may recall that I liked Ida Lupino in \"The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes\" which is a decent b/w film.  Yes, Ida was also a great director in those RKO noir movies like \"The Hitch-Hiker\", and she brought great presence to \"Private Hell 36\".  

Others in that genre that I like are \"The Blue Dahlia\" -  \"Build My Gallows High\"(also entitled \"Out Of The Past\")  - \"D.O>A\"  - \"Farewell My Lovely\"(even the \"Falcon Takes Over\" which is a real steal of \'Lovely\') and any of those Chandler adaptions.  But I do enjoy the noir movies, so absorbing to watch, they rarely pop up on British TV, most channels snub the idea of a black and white film, or even older television series that are not in colour..

Offline Matamore!

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2014, 03:46:41 PM »
I bought Kiss Me Deadly (1955) on DVD some time ago, but just got round to watching it, as a treat, the day before yesterday.

Weird film!

There\'s a review somewhere on IMDb (near the top of the list of reviews) that says ... let me see if I can find the exact quote (then maybe someone can explain it to me) ...

Kiss Me Deadly Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

What an utterly bizarre film...
8/10
Author: A-Ron-2 from Storrs, CT
6 July 2000
[...]
Observe the many bizarre inconsistencies (clocks that jump ahead and back, screams that don\'t jibe right with the soundtrack, camera angles that jump mysteriously) and keep in mind that these were INTENDED! When you get a feel for this film and start noticing what the director was attempting to do with this bizarre film I think that you will enjoy it even more. Truly a unique piece of film making.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2014, 10:13:11 PM »
But I do enjoy the noir movies, so absorbing to watch, they rarely pop up on British TV, most channels snub the idea of a black and white film, or even older television series that are not in colour..

In our case, Ted Turner bought them all up and will only play them on his cable channel. :(   Since our broadcast channels went digital, we\'ve had an increase in B&W movies show up....though not usually the best ones.

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2014, 11:42:04 AM »
Although it was mentioned by K in a Geek Speak thread ca two years ago, I haven\'t seen the link:

http://www.bnwmovies.com/

appear in this thread.

It\'s worth a visit even if only to see Dementia 13, one of Francis Ford Coppola\'s early films. Actually as you can find some Chaplin, and some Laurel and Hardy films there, it\'s worth a visit anyway.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2014, 08:42:33 AM »
Thanks for that, Ironeyes. (tu)