Author Topic: Your Favourite Black and White Films  (Read 3272 times)

Offline tepeethetroll

• View Profile
Re: Your Favourite Black and White Films
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2012, 07:57:59 PM »
Well bless my soul! Teepee ... d\'ya reckon? Could well be that you\'ve cracked it ... What\'s your source on this, do you mind my asking?

Truthy:

No real source other than my (somewhat unreliable) memory. Some time back in the mid 1970\'s my wife bought me a double album of what I suppose could best  be described as \"American\" music, ranging from Aaron Copeland through to Peter, Paul and Mary, taking in Woodie Guthrie, Pete Seeger and Tom Paxton on the way; the bulk of it was what today seems to be termed \"roots\" music. The two tracks that stood out for me was Tom Paxton singing \"Pastures of Plenty\" and the Odetta version of \"Motherless Child\". This latter really did bring tears to the eyes.

Alas to relate, the album was loaned out and never returned. I cant now even remember the albums title, and despite several hours spent googling various possibilities - no luck so far..........such is life.:(

Better get back OT:

Several of the Ealing comedies - Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Lavender Hill Mob, Passport to Pimlico, The League of Gentleman.

Others:
Dr Strangelove
The Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner
The L Shaped Room
Psycho

There must be others, but as previously stated, my memory aint what it once was.
I\'m NOT paranoid......thats just what THEY want you to think!!!

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2012, 08:29:29 PM »
lifeonmarsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The scandal(s) were Chaplin\'s propensity to
> falling in love with his much younger co stars,
> marrying them and then having affairs with other
> younger women.

Sex? Sorry Gov, but I can\'t see it with someone quite so gigantic. It\'s like saying he ate a hearty breakfast!

The reality is (see documentaries and biographies) that due to unbridled genius, acumen, and flair manifested in his business endeavors ... jealousy spread around him like wildfire ... Though his interest was purely in the art form not the power wielding he nevertheless became a force to be reckoned with. The potential of the new machine he was building so fast and so skillfully spawned envy among the less talented power seekers ... who plotted to usurp him. These were after all Hard Times! Rumor and accusation were unleashed. He fled the territory ...

Chaplain, not only acted and directed films, he personally conceived the structure of an entire industry, the way Ford created large scale production of the motor car. It may not suit some quarters to draw attention to the enormity of the man\'s achievement or his vision, which may explain why the facts just don\'t get put about \"in an orderly fashion\".

Serious analysts of the man\'s life and art qualify the the \"Communist\" chapter as mere ruse to be rid of the giant ... might it possibly have been that there were others lurking in the wings waiting to fill his well soled shoes?

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2012, 12:55:27 AM »
I mentioned Rebecca, too, Tru.  GMTA, woman!

My kids had a \"hater\" attitude towards BW movies when they were younger, Mars, until one day, I rented And Then There Were None. They 8-), and said, \"Mooooooom\". I told them, \"Just humor me\". They acted totally uninterested for the first ten minutes....but as the movie progressed they got so into it, it became one of their favorite movies. :)  See. Mom\'s know a thing or two. ;)
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2012, 06:37:51 PM »
Janaru Wrote:
> I mentioned Rebecca, too, Tru.
> http://www.thecomputermechanics.com/forums/images/
> smilies/girl_haha.gif  GMTA, woman!

Erm ::o Caught napping eh? ... !

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2012, 11:06:05 PM »
Of one mind, more like. (or maybe....one brain between us, if we as Ive. :P )

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2012, 02:04:56 AM »
quite possibly, (or I\'m a Dutch Uncle) ... there might be a word, syllable or typing correction missing from that last J ...

Janaru Wrote:
> .../... if we as Ive. :P )

I shall not be starc

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2012, 06:10:00 AM »
.....Godard\'s Breathless/A Bout de Souffle a text book example of the art movie!

I reckon Truthy must have shares in Imperial Tobacco as there doesn\'t seem to be any scene in that film, where Belmondo doesn\'t appear without a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.  I haven\'t caught any bedrooms scenes yet, but it wouldn\'t surprise me if he smoked not only after, but also before and during!  No wonder he\'s breathless.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2012, 10:28:02 PM »
quite possibly, (or I\'m a Dutch Uncle) ... there might be a word, syllable or typing correction missing from that last J ...

Janaru Wrote:
 > .../... if we as Ive.  )

Yes, there was, by golly, but I\'ll let you decide which letter. ;)

No wonder he\'s breathless.

Blue Angel
The Lost Weekend
The Big Sleep

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2012, 01:15:04 AM »
Ironeyes Wrote:
> .....Godard\'s Breathless/A Bout de Souffle a text
> book example of the art movie!
>
> I reckon Truthy must have shares in Imperial
> Tobacco as there doesn\'t seem to be any scene in
> that film, where Belmondo doesn\'t appear without a
> cigarette hanging out of his mouth.  I haven\'t
> caught any bedrooms scenes yet, but it wouldn\'t
> surprise me if he smoked not only after, but also
> before and during!  No wonder he\'s breathless.

B)-

I shall not be starc

Offline Sunshine Superman

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2012, 09:13:29 PM »
Just watched THE GREAT DICTATOR for the first time. A great film, especially the impassioned speech that the Jewish barber gave, in the guise of Hynkel the dictator, at the end.  I\'d also like to mention Paulette Goddard\'s portrayal of Hannah, a very spirited and captivating portrayal.  And, of course, much kudos to Mr Chaplin for the film.... it\'s still as captivating and interesting today, 76 years after it was made, as it was way back then.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2012, 04:31:23 AM »
Truly a classic!

Offline rforrest

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2012, 08:06:29 PM »
So many of my favourite films are on these lists. I sometimes am tempted to agree with whoever said the second worst thing to happen to film - after sound - was colour.
My partner had somehow managed to go through a lot of her life without seeing Lean\'s Great Expectations. We watched it together and after about 3 minutes she murmured - it\'s in black and white but the colours are amazing. (She\'s a painter - not kitchens and window frames - arty stuff. She\'s skinter than I am.)

I would add all Carl Dreyer\'s films. The Passion of Joan of Arc is almost unbearably beautiful.

As for Chaplin ... The Kid, as well as all the other masterpieces already mentioned. I recently got a box set of his very early Keystone films; they\'re crude and clumsy - but Chaplin himself shines out of them like - I don\'t know - some kind of demented angel.

I also love Japanese film ... Ozu ... Kurosawa ... Mizoguchi ...

Has Philadelphia Story been mentioned? Grapes of Wrath? Shanghai Express? Scrooge? (Alastair Sim - watch it every Christmas - best final ten minutes in film.) The first three Karloff Frankensteins?

God - DVDs are the best techonlogical breakthrough since refillable lighters.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2012, 08:35:46 PM »
Has Philadelphia Story been mentioned? Grapes of Wrath? Shanghai Express? Scrooge? (Alastair Sim - watch it every Christmas - best final ten minutes in film.)

I mentioned Philadelphia Story and Grapes of Wrath.....and oh my! I loooove Alastair Sim in Scrooge!!!! I try and see that one every Christmas too. :)

I love the Japanese films too, though I haven\'t been able to see nearly enough of them.

....it\'s in black and white but the colours are amazing.

Okay, now I love her too!  :)

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2012, 11:57:21 PM »
Hmmmm! A. Sim, a Cartier MUST! My childhood, that face, the voice ... sigh!

Anyone round here familiar Dreyer\'s w/Ordet?

That Lean was responsible for consigning Great Expectations to film quite skipped the Alzheimer moment my mind inhabits!#-o

I shall not be starc

Offline rforrest

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2012, 12:27:30 PM »
Yeh, Truthyness, I know Ordet. I have all five of Dreyer\'s films from Joan to Gertrude, and in my opinion every one is a masterpiece, On first viewing Gertrude may seem slow and stilted - but now ... I\'ve watched it umpteen times. He was a master.