Author Topic: Your Favourite Black and White Films  (Read 3206 times)

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favourite Black and White Films
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 07:33:48 PM »
Ooh, yeah. I remember that story. :S

Judgment at Nuremberg
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline tepeethetroll

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 08:00:03 PM »
.....not to mention the most sensational rendition of Motherless Child ever recorded (never was able to establish the name of the blues singer ... and no it wasn\'t Simone)

Truthy, would it have been the version by Odetta? Just simply awe inspiring.
I\'m NOT paranoid......thats just what THEY want you to think!!!

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 01:04:29 AM »
Well bless my soul! Teepee ... d\'ya reckon? Could well be that you\'ve cracked it ... What\'s your source on this, do you mind my asking? Proof here that answers to the mysteries of life can be found @ the Beebotron! ... Oh! a propos, my mistake, the singer has nuffin to do with blues, it\'s pure negro spiritual.

Glad you put Mockingbird up top of your list Jan \'cuz that\'d be another of mine. Tho on reflection On The Water Front might come first, or one or two other Hitchcocks. And then again there\'s that incredible epic by Abel Gance : Napoleon ... the inspiration for my favorite (non-eyeteye) director David Lean (Lawrence of Arabia) ... When shove comes to fall over, ain\'t nuffin comes close to the eyeteyes: Antonioni, Visconti, Rossellini (Stromboli, featuring the most extraordinary tuna fishing scene EVER! ... not to mention Bergman).  Post Script ... Godard\'s Breathless/A Bout de Souffle a text book example of  the art movie!

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline lifeonmarsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 02:43:10 AM »
There are some b/w silent films which aren\'t favorites, but I would stop and look if they came on tv or if someone had the dvd;

Chaplin; Modern Times, City Lights, The Great Dictator (just to name a few)
Laurel and Hardy
Marx Brothers
Buster Keaton
Harold Lloyd

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 03:30:00 AM »
As the father of modern film concept Chaplain has to be there somewhere at the very top Mars, definitely!

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline lifeonmarsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 04:00:14 AM »
A lot of those early film stars were so influential to what we see today in film and tv. Chaplin is somewhat underrated, but I suppose that\'s due to his \"scandalous\" life. Not too far from where I live is a place called Niles where Chaplin first did his first films for Essanay. The Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum now stands as a testiment to the start of the silent movie industry. The industry only moved south to get more days of good weather to film in. We don\'t get four seasons, but we do get an even serving of wet and dry weather. The weather in LA is more accomodating to film making.

Harold Lloyd is also another favorite, don\'t know why I like him so much as I have never seen any of his films from start to finish. He seems the most contemporary of all the silent film stars and he made his own particular mark on the industry.

Offline Ironeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 04:10:59 AM »
As Polanski has been mentioned, I remember Repulsion making a big impact on me when I first saw it.

LOM, I know yours wasn\'t meant to be a comprehensive list, but surely The Gold Rush should be spotlighted (if only for the shoe eating scenes)?

Ahhhh.......Laurel and Hardy. Of all the greats listed above, they are the ones who have made me laugh most. Just sitting here thinking about Laughing Gravy has me chuckling over my keyboard.

Offline lifeonmarsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 04:25:34 AM »
In addition, The Gold Rush should be mentioned indeed if only for the sheer task of filming the thing. I am only going by the events dramatised in the film Chaplin, but I think this was the one he and his brother had to smuggle into Nevada to finish editing and to keep the negatives out of the hands of his soon to be ex wife\'s divorce lawyer.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 12:53:30 PM »
lifeonmarsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Chaplin is somewhat underrated,

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> that\'s due to his \"scandalous\" life.

??????????????? ::o

I shall not be starc

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 12:59:14 PM »
Ironeyes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As Polanski has been mentioned, I remember
> Repulsion making a big impact on me when I first
> saw it.

Ha! Somehow, that doesn\'t surprise me IE!!!!  Top O\' the morning btw and Happy New Ones to you.

> LOM, I know yours wasn\'t meant to be a
> comprehensive list, but surely The Gold Rush
> should be spotlighted (if only for the shoe eating
> scenes)?

Legendary scene indeed. We seem to be headed that way again today! Heaven forfend.

> Ahhhh.......Laurel and Hardy. Of all the greats
> listed above, they are the ones who have made me
> laugh most. Just sitting here thinking about
> Laughing Gravy has me chuckling over my keyboard.

Such a duo, my love of films must surely have been born watching those two ... (tv equivalent = Bud Abbot and Lou Costello)

I shall not be starc

Offline IvorThirst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
Have you noticed the almost-metallic pin-bones in the sole? Not the sole, but the one.

Init great when it rains? You don\'t have to go out and
.       Ivor

The original and real cat with the swishy tail.
Accept no imitations.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2012, 04:30:11 PM »
Er? What have you been on Gov! Can we share?

I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2012, 05:04:46 PM »
..my mistake, the singer has nuffin to do with blues, it\'s pure negro spiritual.

Has everything to do with it. Spirituals were the first form of Blues.

By the by, I mentioned Chaplain (City Lights), The Marx Brothers (Duck Soup) and Keaton (The General) earlier...how could you ever forget them! And you\'re right, Mars, Harold Lloyd was superb!

The one where he plays the college student and he does the little dance every time he meets someone is one of my favorites, but the name of the thing escapes me at the moment. Been years since I\'ve seen it.

My Favorite Blond
The Cat and The Canary (when the hand came out of the wall over Paulette Goddards face while she was sleeping scared the h*ll outta me as a child)
The Bells of Saint Mary
Going My Way
Here Comes Mr. Jordan
Now Voyager
The Heiress
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2012, 06:20:27 PM »
aide memoire for the boards. A reference for when it\'s raining and we\'re trying to decide on one or other oldie to watch.

I shall not be starc

Offline lifeonmarsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2012, 07:23:38 PM »
The scandal(s) were Chaplin\'s propensity to falling in love with his much younger co stars, marrying them and then having affairs with other younger women.Today he would be widely admired in Hollywood, no?? The biggest scandal was Chaplin was at the time an avowed Communist. While on board a cruise ship heading for England, the US revoked his citizenship so he and his wife Oona settled in Switzerland thereafter. I am sure I\'ve left out a lot of details, but Chaplin is not as revered as he ought to be.

Maybe it isn\'t just Chaplin who is unknown to the youger set. Someone set them against black and white films and tv shows (was it Ted Turner?). It\'s not unusual for children and teens to walk away once you put in a dvd of black and white films or tv shows. They think it is inferior somehow. Just think of how many Doctor Who fans don\'t bother with the black and white episodes.

But I do remember a Chaplin documentary where they interviewed a black dancer/choreographer who when he was just starting out happened to see a Chaplin film at a video store and saw the moves Charlie made and he based his hip hop moves on Chaplin. Today he has his students watch Chaplin films just for the choreography.