Author Topic: Great Meadow by Dirk Bogarde  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Lady Penelope

• View Profile
Great Meadow by Dirk Bogarde
« on: November 17, 2011, 09:09:37 PM »
This first book of his authobiograph,  this has come back round on the R4X Carousel again - though it seems to be less frequently repeated than many less worthy inho.

Read by himself, and he has the kind of voice  that in the cliche I could enjoy hearing reading the telephone directory.    The laid back style both of writing and reading is such a welcome and relaxing change from the frantic meanderings of so much on the BBC these days.

I see there is another reading from his autobiographic series coming up next week - shall look forward to that - although I prefer Great Meadow over the others and I dont think.4X has the complete set, nor sees the need to re issue them in correct order!

One thing puzzled me - I havent been keeping up with 4X this week , and find that it is only available from yesterdays Episode 3 - why have 1 and 2 disappeared ?  Not a bit problem since I have heard it before and anyway the episodes stand alone, but just wonder why.

Offline IvorThirst

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Great Meadow by Dirk Bogarde
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 10:04:15 PM »
Hi Pen. Who would believe it; the Beeb have made a Booboo. The preceding programmes (the first two episodes of Attention All Shipping) are 15min long, but Monday and Tuesday they are fitted into 30min slots. You\'ve guessed, haven\'t you? The second half of each 30min slot are the first two episodes of Great Meadow.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0of7RbjoxTc[/video]
.       Ivor

The original and real cat with the swishy tail.
Accept no imitations.

Offline Lady Penelope

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 10:17:04 PM »
Who would believe it?#-o

Thanks Ivor.

Offline raygmurphy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 10:38:55 AM »
Of Bogarde\'s biographical works, this one I hadn\'t read before. It\'s written in the style of a twelve year old, which gets quite annoying. As a snippet of a lost way of life it is interesting, but the style does grate somewhat (something worth repeating). Check this out for getting more reviews...