Author Topic: Strangers and brothers  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Rumbaba

• View Profile
Strangers and brothers
« on: July 05, 2011, 02:28:33 PM »
I am a big fan of C.P. Snow\'s \'Strangers and brothers\' series of novels. I found one (The Masters) for 10p in the box outside a second hand bookshop  many years ago and, since they were all out of print at the time, spent quite a long time collecting all 11 books in the series. He was very popular in his day and, although back in print, doesn\'t really hit most people\'s radar. Does anyone else rate him?

Also, I like B.S.Johson and, even if you have never heard of him, I recommend Jonathan Coe\'s biography \'Like a fiery elephant\' , which reinvented the literary biography and is almost a detective story - a fabulous read.

Offline tepeethetroll

• View Profile
Re: Strangers and brothers
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 07:24:39 PM »
Rumbaba Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am a big fan of C.P. Snow\'s \'Strangers and  brothers\' series of novels.

I have heard of Snow, but never read any of his books. I have just had a quick shufti and all 11 are available for Kindle. Can you suggest which one would be a good starter?

> Also, I like B.S.Johson and, even if you have  never heard of him, I recommend Jonathan Coe\'s  biography \'Like a fiery elephant\' , which reinvented the literary biography and is almost a  detective story - a fabulous read.

Got to admit, I had never heard of Johnson. The biography is available as a second-hand paperback for the extortionate price of 1p, so I guess I will get that too.

Thanks for the tips.(tu)
I\'m NOT paranoid......thats just what THEY want you to think!!!

Offline Rumbaba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 10:26:10 PM »

Offline Rumbaba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:00:08 PM »
\"I have heard of Snow, but never read any of his books. I have just had a quick shufti and all 11 are available for Kindle. Can you suggest which one would be a good starter? \"

Sorry, missed this. Maybe \'The Masters\' or \'The New Men\' would be a good start.

Offline tepeethetroll

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 10:03:05 PM »
Thanks pal - I will try it.
I\'m NOT paranoid......thats just what THEY want you to think!!!