Author Topic: Miss Garnets Angel  (Read 1129 times)

Offline tepeethetroll

• View Profile
Miss Garnets Angel
« on: June 09, 2011, 08:19:10 PM »
I\'m posting this in the (possibly vain) hope that some savvy person from BBC scheduling lurks these boards, reads it and thinks it worth taking notice.

I have just finished reading (for the second time) the Sally Vickers novel \"Miss Garnets Angel\", and thought that it would make an excellent reading. I checked Pauls radiolistings site and found that in fact it has already been serialised with Eileen Atkins behind the microphone. First broadcast in 2001 with a repeat in 2002....but nothing since then on any station.

Maybe of course theres some sort of rights problem, but - and here I go down on bended knee - could some kind soul investigate?
I\'m NOT paranoid......thats just what THEY want you to think!!!

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Miss Garnets Angel
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 12:39:58 AM »
Try and request it. Ya\' never know.....  :)

I\'ve posted contact links here. R4X Contacts
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline cats22

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 06:06:30 PM »
I have listened to an unabridged reading of this (read by Miriam Margolyes) and I am afraid I found it a real struggle.  I never thought I would say this but it might be one of those readings that is better abridged.  

I kept longing for it to be more like a Barbara Pym novel.  She wrote something similar  looking in depth at the ordinary life of not-so-young women but I didn\'t feel it had the charm and the wit of Pym\'s books.  I think I would have liked Miss Garnett\'s Angel more if it had been set longer ago but as it was it just seemed odd - an old-fashioned book set in the modern day.

Offline tepeethetroll

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 08:00:52 PM »
cats22 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have listened to an unabridged reading of this (read by Miriam Margolyes) and I am afraid I found it a real struggle.

That\'s interesting Cats; did you hear it on the radio, or was it an audiobook?

>...  I never thought I would say this but it might be one of those readings that is better abridged.  

Think I agree, but only up to a point. If the abridger restricted the blue pencil to those sections which are a modern language version of the book of Tobbit, that would probably be ok, provided the substance of the legend was maintained.

>I think I would have liked Miss Garnett\'s Angel more if it had been set longer ago but as it was it just seemed odd - an old-fashioned book set in the modern day.

To me, this was one of the strengths of the book. An elderly introverted spinster who - through new experiences - has her eyes opened to new opportunities in life.
I\'m NOT paranoid......thats just what THEY want you to think!!!

Offline cats22

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 08:58:35 PM »
It was an audio book - I only downloaded it a few months ago from audible but I can\'t see it there now.  

To me, this was one of the strengths of the book. An elderly introverted spinster who - through new experiences - has her eyes opened to new opportunities in life.

Yes I did get that too but I just found it wasn\'t enough somehow.