Author Topic: A selection of readings from 2nd May 2011 to 8th May 2011  (Read 912 times)

Offline Becki

• View Profile
A selection of readings from 2nd May 2011 to 8th May 2011
« on: May 02, 2011, 03:55:45 AM »
Love Stories Here

Alan Titchmarsh - The Lark read by Joanna Tope
Mon 14:15
\'My mother always told me life is a matter of luck.\'

Freya North - Fish And Chips read by Melody Grove
Mon 02:00, Tue 10:15 and Wed 02:15
An inheritance by the sea broadens a young woman\'s horizons.

Sweet Dreams by Michael Frayn read by Martin Jarvis Here
Missed this in last weeks selection of readings but the first two are still available as listen again.
Episodes 3-7 of 7
Mon to Fri at 15:45 repeats at 05:45 following morning.
Classic boys adventure story. When Major J. Bigglesworth receives a letter from an old wartime comrade asking for help, he responds at once. With his colleagues, Algy, Ginger and Flight Sergeant Smyth, Biggles flies to Alaska, where he discovers that ex-Squadron Leader Wilkinson is being menaced by a sinister character.

Fantastic Tales - Last of the stories about magic, horror and fantasy

Theodore Sturgeon - The Silken Swift read by Mark Bonnar here
Mon 6:30, Tue 00:30
A unicorn holds the key to happiness in this fantasy of true love and complex desire.

Paul Collins - Banvard\'s Folly read by Andrew Sachs here
Mon to Fri at 14:45
History will always remember the Edisons, Einsteins and Darwins. But what about the others with similarly revolutionary ideas, but who plummeted into oblivion? Here are the extraordinary, and inspirational, lives of five \'losers\' who achieved great heights in their lifetimes only to then meet crushing defeats.

The Absolutist by John Boyne read by Blake Ritson here
Episodes 6-10 at 22:45 (Book at Bedtime)
September 1919: 20 year-old Tristan Sadler takes a train from London to Norwich to deliver some letters to Marian Bancroft. Tristan fought alongside Marian\'s brother Will during the Great War but in 1917, Will laid down his guns on the battlefield, declared himself a conscientious objector, an act which has brought shame and dishonour on the Bancroft family.
But the letters are not the real reason for Tristan\'s visit. He holds a secret deep in his soul. One that he is desperate to unburden himself of to Marian, if he can only find the courage. As he recalls his friendship with Will, from the training ground at Aldershot to the trenches of Northern France, he speaks of how the intensity of their friendship brought him both happiness and self-discovery as well as despair and pain.

The Doll: Short Stories by Daphne du Maurier  here
Tue to Thu 15:30 (Afternoon Reading)
East Wind read by Anna Madeley
The lives of a young couple are altered irrevocably when a group of beguiling strangers are shipwrecked off the shores of the Scilly Isles.
The Doll read by Ed Stoppard & Sean Baker
A macabre and unsettling tale about a young man besotted by a young violinist, who in turn has a strange and haunting passion.
The Happy Valley read by Hattie Morahan
This tells the story of a young woman who dreams of an eerie wilderness and a grand old house, and echoes her most famous book, Rebecca. In the story, the young woman starts a romantic relationship with a man and finds herself walking into the real landscape she has dreamed of...

*Addition: Radio 3 have one too Tame Cat. Many thanks to Forget_It for pointing it out here.

Seance on a Wet Afternoon by Mark McShane read by Anton Lesser here
Episodes 1&2 of 6
Thu to Fri at 06:30, 13:30 and 20:30
Clairvoyant Myra Savage and her husband Bill work together to form a plan. This plan is for riches, but to bring Myra the fame she feels is her due. They kidnap a small girl (daughter of a rich business man), and Myra hopes to gain fame by supposedly directing the police to the girl. But things start to go terribly wrong . . .

The Supreme Artist - Daphne Du Maurier read by Michael Drew Here
Fri 14:15, Sun 07:15, 13:15 and Mon 14:15
The matinee is over, but who is the visitor waiting at the stage door?

The Drowned World by JG Ballard read by Robert Glenister Here

Episode 2
Sat 1830 and Sun 00:30

The author\'s 1962 debut novel. Set in a submerged London of the future, in a post-apocalyptic world. Transformed by global warming which has caused the polar ice-caps to melt.
The books wiki page

Ruth Rendell Stories

The Wink read by Kathy Staff Here
Sat 23:00
An elderly woman exacts revenge on the man who raped her when she was a teenager.

Computer Seance read by Lesley Joseph Here
Sat 23:15
Sophia is a medium with a laptop. One day she bumps into Jimmy, who just happens to be her dead brother.

read by Michael Maloney HereWilliam Trevor - The Distant Past read by Denys Hawthorne Here
Sun 11:00 and 19:00 also Mon 9th 02:00
Two Irish Protestants live contentedly in the past, until the present catches up with them.

William Trevor - Teresa\'s Wedding read by Denys Hawthorne Here
Sun 11:45 and 19:45 also Mon 9th 02:45
At a bleak wedding reception, a young pregnant bride discovers why her marriage might just work.

David Attenborough\'s Life Stories series 2 read by Attenborough Here

Episode 12/20 - Butterflies
Fri 20:50 and Sun 08:50

When massing for their winter torpor in Mexico, the pine trees laden with Monarch Butterflies are one of the most mystical and magical places to be. David Attenborough is one of many naturalists, writers and broadcasters to marvel at this species migration feat and the spectacle of their over wintering - one of the natural wonders of the world. In this Life Story David Attenborough guides us through the butterfly\'s migration to Canada from Mexico - and back again - gently unpacking their natural history and wonder. And he immerses us in other butterfly congregations during filming trips over the years - but in a clever twist brings us back to his garden with an intriguing thought about the evolution of butterfly behaviour.

As usual please do mention any readings that you think i should have included as i\'m sure i\'ve missed something good.

Coffee time.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A selection of readings from 2nd May 2011 to 8th May 2011
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 06:21:11 PM »
Becki, thanks for this great list, I\'m listening to Seance on a Wet Afternoon. Anton Lesser. Rather good it is too.  I wonder, did anyone see the film ... to compare w/the reading...

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Becki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 01:28:22 AM »
You\'re welcome Tru.

Just want to add one i missed while you\'ve still time to catch it on listen again:

Catch Me If You Can by Frank Abagnale Jr read by William Hope here
Episodes 1&2 of 5
Thu to Fri at 06:45, 13:45 and 20:45
\"I stole every nickel and blew it on fine threads, luxurious lodgings, fantastic foxes and other sensual goodies. I partied in every capital in Europe and basked on all the world\'s most famous beaches\". Frank W Abagnale, alias Frank Williams, Robert Conrad, Frank Adams and Ringo Monjo, was one of the most daring con men, forgers, imposters and escape artists in history. In his brief but notorious career, Abagnale donned a pilot\'s uniform and co-piloted a Pan Am jet, masqueraded as a member of hospital management, practised law without a licence, passed himself off as a college sociology professor, and cashed over $2.5 million in forged checks all before he was twenty-one. Known by the police of twenty-six foreign countries and all fifty states as \'The Skywayman\', Abagnale lived a sumptuous life on the run - until the law caught up with him. Now recognised as the nation\'s leading authority on financial foul play, Abagnale is a charming rogue whose hilarious, stranger-than-fiction international escapades and ingenious escapes - including one from an aeroplane - make CATCH ME IF YOU CAN an irresistible tale of deceit.

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 01:40:59 AM »
Yup following that one, luckily it happens to pick up after \"Seance\" and I find that whenever a tale is gonna be any good, you get caught up by it in the first couple of episodes ... my attention was captivated from the start. It might be down to the kind of cold cynical humour.

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc