Author Topic: A selection of readings from 16nd May 2011 to 22th May 2011  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Becki

• View Profile
Sorry it\'s late this week, but better late than never. (i hope)

Radio 4

Vesuvius: The Most Famous Volcano in the World by Gillian Darley  read by Emma Fielding here
Abridged by Olivia Seligman. Additional readings by Simon Tcherniak
Mon to Fri at 09:45 repeated the following morning at 00:30 (Book of the Week)

Dormant since 1944, but still a potential threat to those who live at its foot, Vesuvius is the only active volcano on the European mainland. In AD 79 thousands perished whilst fleeing the lava\'s path, hit by what is known as a pyroclastic surge, during which a hurtling jet of gas, carrying along the detritus of the eruption, at immense speed and horrifyingly high temperatures simply incinerated everything in its path. It was, in effect, a horizontal H-bomb and thousands perished.
Amongst the volcano\'s victims was Pliny the Elder, and on hand to record events was his nephew, Pliny the Younger. He wrote that the devastation was so complete that the inhabitants of Naples \'besought the aid of the gods, but still more imagined there were no gods left, and that the universe was plunged into eternal darkness for evermore.\'
As the belief in the power of the gods gave way to Christianity, medieval Neapolitans adopted a patron saint, Saint Januarius, to defend them from the terrible ferocity of Vesuvius\' power. The success of Januarius, (or San Gennaro to the Neapolitans), depended on the miraculous liquefaction of phials of his (allegedly) dried blood. He came into his own during the violent eruption of 1631, when he apparently intervened to halt the volcano\'s lava just short of the city.
After that, a whole chapel was given over to the cult of the saint. His head was placed by the altar along with the phials of his blood and a series of priests rocked slowly to and fro for hours, if not days. From them on, the inhabitants of Naples placed their entire faith in Januarius to save them from the volcano\'s fury.

The Yacoubian Building by Alaa Al Aswany  read by Mido Hamada here
Episodes 6 to 10
Mon to Fri at 22:45 (Book at Bedtime)Ballads of Thin Men  here
Tue to Thu 15:30 (Afternoon Reading)
Bob Dylan - one of the most significant and influential cultural figures of the late 20th and early 21st century - is 70 on 24 May 2011. The three stories in Ballads Of Thin Men have been commissioned specially to mark the occasion.
Dig Yourself by Nick Walker read by Unknown
The Savoy Hotel, London, 1965. In the Iolanthe Room, Margaret is holding a meeting to prepare for a memorial function in honour of the recently-deceased Sir Winston Churchill. She uses flash-cards to help her small audience. Staying at the Savoy is \'a chap ... who plays the guitar which is quite nice,\' And he\'s been using flash-cards too ...
The Night Ride by Simone Felice read by Unknown
The starting point for this story is the line from Bob Dylan\'s \'Joey\': \'Born in Red Hook, Brooklyn, in the year of who-knows-when.\' When the lights in his apartment fuse Adrian Young puts on a dress and takes to his bike to ride the borough\'s streets on a wintry December night.
People Carry Roses by Toby Litt read by Unknown
It\'s 1985. A fifteen-year-old boy finds his entire LP collection vandalised after his sister\'s eighteenth birthday party. All except one - his only Bob Dylan record - which he\'d lent out. But who has it? He goes all over the village to track it down, but his reasons for doing so aren\'t what they might seem ...

David Attenborough\'s Life Stories series 2 read by Attenborough Here
Episode 14/20 - Cuckoo
Fri 20:50 and Sun 08:50

The Cuckoo is one of the iconic brood parasites of the world - the bird that cons another species into taking its egg as its own and rears the chick to fledging. In the single frame of the Cuckoo you have a long distance migrant, travelling from Africa to breeding grounds in the temperate north, and back again. The Cuckoo does not raise its own chick and across a range of Cuckoo individuals, they parasitise several species of bird - all much smaller than they are. David Attenborough explores the world of the Cuckoo and not only marvels at their natural history but tells the story of how a wildlife cameraman resolved a scientific mystery - and how the Cuckoo itself harbours yet more secrets to science and natural history.

The A-Z of Dr Johnson: Johnson\'s Miscellany Introduced by Professor David Nokes and Read by Michael Pennington Here Jan\'s post
Episode 2/3 Sun 00:30
Three readings featuring extracts from Samuel Johnson\'s major works.

A Glimpse of Stocking Here
Episode 1/3 Sun 19:45
Series of stories celebrating 70 years of nylon stockings
Hold-ups by Jojo Moyes read by Siobhan Redmond
Alice Herring seems like the perfect witness but all is not as it seems in this comic tale of robberies, romance and cubic zirconia.

Radio 4 extra

Eric Ambler - Topkapi read by David Westhead here
Episode 2 to 6 of 6
Mon to Friday at 06:30, 13:30 and 20:30
Arthur Simpson is a petty thief who is discovered stealing from a hotel room. His victim, however, turns out to be a criminal in a league well above his own and Simpson is blackmailed into smuggling arms into Turkey for use in a major jewel robbery. The Turkish police, however, discover the arms and he is further blackmailed by them into spying on the gang - or rot in a Turkish jail. However, agreeing to help brings even worse danger ....

The Great Gatsby Letters read by William Hope Here
Mon 10:30 and Tue 03:30
F Scott Fitzgerald tells his editor Maxwell Perkins about his hopes and fears for his new novel.

F Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby read by William Hope HereArthur Conan Doyle: A Life in Letters read by Forbes Masson and John Dougal Here
Mon to Fri at 14:45
Moments from the writer\'s life, told through his letters.

William Trevor - A Bit on the Side - Sacred Statues read by Niamh Cusack Here and here
Mon 02:00, Tue 10:15 and Wed 03:15
Can a statue maker\'s wife help her neighbours and herself - or is her husband being more realistic?

William Trevor - A Bit on the Side - Graillis\' Legacy read by Dermot Crowley Here
Mon 02:45 and Wed 14:15
The touching and compassionate story of a man\'s love for two women.

William Trevor - The Forty-Seventh Saturday read by Denys Hawthorne Here
Mon 14:15
Mavie and McCarthy have a weekly assignation - but is he as trapped by marriage as she thinks he is?

Trouble with Lichen by John Wyndham  read by Joanna Tope Here
Episodes 4 and 5 of 5
Mon and Tue 18:30 repeated the following morning at 00:30

Francis Saxover and Diana Brackley, two scientists investigating a rare lichen, discover it has a remarkable property: it retards the ageing process. Francis, realising the implications for the world of an ever-youthful, wealthy elite, wants to keep it secret, but Diana sees an opportunity to overturn the male status quo by using the lichen to inspire a feminist revolution.
As each scientist wrestles with the implications and practicalities of exploiting the discovery, the world comes ever closer to learning the truth . . .

The Wartime Stories of Mollie Panter-Downes read by Sylvestra Le Touzel Here
Poignant Second World War experiences of women in Britain
Fin de Siecle
Fri 14:15, Sun 07:15 and 13:15, also Mon 23rd 14:15
1/4 Starting with a soldier\'s wife.
Goodbye My Love
Sun 11:00 and 19:00, also Mon 23rd 02:00
2/4 A mother and a wife face a departure.
Good Evening Mrs Craven
Sun 11:45 and 19:45, also Mon 23rd 02:45
3/4 A wife and a mistress await news.

The Drowned World by JG Ballard read by Robert Glenister HereThe books wiki page

Craig Russell - Lennox read by Grant O\'Rourke Here
Episode 1 of 5 Sat 23:00
Shady private investigator Lennox is a hard man in a hard city at a hard time: Glasgow, 1953, where the war may be over but the battle for the streets is just beginning. It\'s a place where only the toughest and most ruthless survive. The McGahern twins were on the way up until Tam, the brains of the outfit, opened his door to find two hitmen pointing shotguns at him. The Three Kings, the crime lords who run Glasgow\'s underworld, all deny ordering the hit, so Tam\'s brother Frankie turns to Lennox to find out who killed his twin. Lennox refuses. Later that night, Frankie\'s body is discovered on the road, his head mashed to pulp, and Lennox finds himself in the frame for murder. The only way of proving his innocence is to solve the crime - but he\'ll have to dodge men more deadly than Glasgow\'s crime bosses before he gets any answers. Craig Russell combines atmosphere, action and a pitch-black sense of humour with an intelligent and complex character who is a product of the recent war he lived through.

read by Michael Maloney Here

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A selection of readings from 16nd May 2011 to 22th May 2011
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 09:25:26 PM »
\"San Gennaro\" and \"the Neapolitans\" ... This one sounds tailor made for you Jan

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 09:32:57 PM »
I can honestly say, without a doubt, I have never been accused of being a saint! :(
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 02:11:53 AM »
Never say die

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 03:53:03 AM »
At least until I get a whoooole lot better! ;)
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....