Author Topic: Beautiful message, Janaru!!  (Read 1842 times)

Offline ivylune

• View Profile
Beautiful message, Janaru!!
« on: April 01, 2011, 07:23:27 AM »
I read your last message on the old messageboard and burst into tears.  It was beautiful.  I feel the same way about this.  Loved the old CBC Mystery Project here in Canada and was looking for something like it and found BBC7.  Listened to loads of great shows and some that were kind of strange (was strangely transfixed by Uncle Mort.)  I know it will still be similar, but am still nostalgic about what has been and hope it will still feel right.  Again, you summed it up perfectly.

ivylune

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Beautiful message, Janaru!!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 04:44:33 PM »
Aww...thank you, Ivy, and welcome! :)

Truth be told, I cried a little when I was writing it

And I agree, nothing will ever be quite like that again, sad to say. That was like The Little Magic Kingdom in the Clouds for a lot of us. And the boards were an integral part of that, I think. At least they were for me.

Truthyness and I called it the \"Hive Mind\" :)  Even though we listened to different things at different times, we were all listening to basically the same thing at the same time and could connect, not only with ourselves, but the Station Staff, and my goodness, even the writers! That\'s pretty special.

Someone mentioned (may have been Bert Coules or Robert Forrest), that now there\'s no place for the BBC and the writers to get direct feedback. And that\'s so true. I\'ll be much less likely to dash off an e-mail when I like a program that I would to post an \"Atta boy\". I don\'t Tweet (who can say anything in  100 characters anyway 8-) ) and I really hate Facebook. Seems like they cut-off a really vital resource.

Oh well, we\'re glad you landed here anyway. :)  Never heard of the CBC Mystery Project....hmmmm....you have me intrigued....tell me more of this Project of which you speak ;)

Sounds like something I\'d really like.
Note to self:  Use your powers for good, not for evil.....

Offline ConradtheCaterpillar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 05:21:41 PM »
Hi Janaru,

Totally agree, a lovely message, well thought out and summed up what I believe the majority were thinking. I was going to post as such on the messageboard, but curses, they closed it at lunchtime. I suppose the backroom staff are currently down the pub, downing a few :)-D :)-D

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 06:08:57 PM »
Thank you, Conrad. After I posted that I realized how many people I left out! @\'.2\'@  And your name was a big one! But please know, you were in my heart :)

It was really hard to remember who was posting when I first started and who came along later. The one cosilation to all this is that so many have come to join us over here. You guys just don\'t even know how happy I am that so many have gathered here. (:D

I never listen to R7 live, but today is the exception. I\'m going to listen live all day.

I wish I were down at the pub with \'em to toast her and send the old girl off right! :)-D

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 07:03:12 PM »
Janaru Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I wish I were down at the pub with \'em to toast
> her and send the old girl off right! :)-D

Indeed that would have been the way to go!

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Kronalias

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 07:03:22 PM »
Jan\'s message was wonderful, brought tears to my eyes, and deserves to be preserved. Here\'s the thread in its entirety:

=======================================================================================================
Janaru\'s Radio 7 Parting Post - 31 March 2011
=======================================================================================================

Message 1 - posted by Janaru (U12763248) , Yesterday
I found this station, quite by accident, in 2008.

I love American OTR, and I had been downloading some old programs from iTunes, when I found one company that had British productions of Agatha Christie\'s Marple and Poirot (Whitfield and Moffat) and a Gideon Fell story (later, of course, I discovered they were illegal blush ).

Anyway, they were fabulous and I wanted more, more, more! I was getting tired of American OTR and loved these newer productions. So I did a little Google-Fu and found something called BBC7.

What joy! It was like someone had given me the keys to a gigantic candy store and said \"Help yourself!\".

Everything I listened to I\'d say to myself...
Why don\'t we have anything like this here?
This is soooo great!
Why don\'t we have anything like this here?!!!

I found my Christie\'s all right...
along with new treats like Falco and Baldi...
And...
Oh my!
The sweet dulcet tones of Paul Temple and Steve were like a piece of fine chocolate melting on the tongue!
Wonderful!

Then...

Oooh...they have a radio version of Brother Cadfael?
I gotta listen to that!

Then a huge revelation!

Oh-ma-god-oh-ma-god-oh-ma-god-oh-ma-god!
I can not believe it!
They...
Have....
Sherlock Holmes!
Ooh-hoo-hoo yes, yes, yes!
This I have GOT to hear!\"

Positively giddy at the thought of it, I went to the little player at the upper left-had side of the Drama page and the adventure began...

But...
What\'s this?
It wasn\'t Gielgud and Richardson...
It wasn\'t Hobbes and Shelly (which is actually what I\'d expected)
No, no, no...
THIS was a different animal all together!

This Sherlock wasn\'t warm and wise...
Calm and comforting...
No.
He was staccato...
Rapid-fire...
With a positively maniacal laugh!
This Watson wasn\'t passive, or bumbling....
No, no, no....
This Watson was a medical man with a fine brain of his own.
A dear, dear friend, to Holmes...
He worried for him...
He was completely and utterly frustrated by him! All at once!

And then....
It hit me....

This WAS Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson!
They had transformed themselves...
Somehow...
Someway...
From the pages of the stories I\'d loved so well Right into the radio!
I was hearing them speak!

I was sitting by the crackling fire at 221B
I could hear the horses hooves of the handsome cabs clacking along the London cobblestone
I felt the damp chill of the fog.
I was there!!!!

It was pure bliss!
And if that weren\'t enough...
There wasn\'t one Holmes story...
But the whole d*mn canon!
And...
And...
And not only THAT?
But NEW ONES TOO!
AND they were EXCELLENT!!!

Ahhhh, heaven, heaven, heaven!

I found Dickens, Wilde and Austen, and...
Wait who\'s this?
Trollope?
Hmmm...
Wonder if he\'s any good!
Ha! What fun!

I went everywhere!
Did everything!

I screamed at the villain.
I cheered for the hero.
I even flew to Mars! laugh

When the little boy was billeted with crusty old Mister Tom during the child evacuation of WWII, and turned the old codgers heart around, I was so happy.

And when he had to go back home to his abusive mother, and he was found in that horrid closet by Mister Tom, beaten and neglected along with his baby sister, I cried.

Real tears, I cried for that boy.

I laughed my a*s off at Bertie Wooster and his shenanigans, and at Darth Vader getting a Death Star makeover from Carol Smiley on Dead Ringers.

And then...
I saw something about a program about a 19th century Edinburgh detective....
Hmmm....
Sounds interesting....
I\'ll give this a try...

And a new love affair began...
With Jean Brash, Hannah (Straight Razor) Sample,
Mulholland, Inspector Roach....
All the magpies...
And the keelys of Leith...
And my beloved Philosopher...
Hero and Rascal, all rolled into one...
McLevy himself!

Wonderful, wonderful!

So, after a few weeks of listening, I happened to see something on the website that said Messageboard...
I thought hmm...
I\'ll take a look-see.

I lurked for a few months, and read Ivor, Frobenius, Conion, Angusrod, Dame Celia, Truthyness, Gildersleeve, Trevor, Rhys, Kate, Peter Anthony Edwards, Mrs Goat, Minnie Bannister, Ross-en-dale, Pleinair, Superman, Gruntfuttock, Charlie Bear, Falcofan...
Far too many to mention them all...
But trust me...
I read them all.

The conversations were so interesting and funny. After a few months, I decided to dip a toe in.

Everyone was so kind. Ivor was very helpful and translated English into American for me smiley

Y\'all didn\'t even give me too bad a time for talkin\' wrong erm

I\'ve had some wonderful conversations on this board.

I\'ve learned a lot, from a lot of very, very smart people.

I\'ve laughed until I darn near wet myself.

Got into a few verbal dust-ups, but thankfully, not too many of those.

Hopefully I\'m forgiven for any careless words written in anger or simply because I was havin\' a cr*ppy day.

I do apologize for them blush

The R7 Staff were always helpful, informative and kind to me.

Especially Chris, who\'s pretty much been the face of R7 here on the boards. Keeping cool (for the most part winkeye ), through some pretty tough criticisms (deserved or not) that would make the strongest character blow their top.
Nice job, M\'dear, my hats off to ya\'!

I\'ve spoken to writers, who so graciously let us pick their brains.
Let me ask my stupid questions without ever making me *feel* stupid.
I appreciate Neville, Jim, Nick and Bert especially.
You guys are awesome!
It\'s been a real pleasure!

This place has been very, very special to me...
And you folks are like family.

Thanks so much for making this Yank feel right at home. bubbly

We may be moving on to other places and messageboard experiences...
But this place was unique.

Thanks for letting me a part of it.

I\'ll always remember and cherish this one group...
At this particular place...
At this point in time.
One of a kind, that! magic

R7 maybe be changing her dress, gettin\' a new \"do\" and a fancy makeover...
But I do hope she\'ll keep the same heart and soul she\'s always had...

\'Cause there\'s a whole lot of us who loved her just the way she was. winkeye

And as we all sit on the deck of the HMS Radio 7 one last time...
Waiting for Radio 4 Extra to come and take over....
Always look on the bright side of life...whistle

peacedove Out from the \"Left-Coast\" my Cousin\'s... cool

Love and Kisses,
Janaru

Message 2 - posted by Reverend Unseemly Dogposture (U2068255) , Yesterday
A wonderful post. It sums up so much that I\'ll miss about this place.

Bravo!

Message 3 - posted by Sunshine-Superman (U6368225) , 23 Hours Ago

\"I have been, and always will be, your friend. Live long and prosper!\"

Message 4 - posted by Sunshine-Superman (U6368225) , 23 Hours Ago

< raises right hand with fingers splayed apart, in Vulcan salute >

\"I have been, and always will be, your friend. Live long and prosper!\"

Message 5 - posted by MinnieBannister (U3716023) , 22 Hours Ago
A lovely tribute, Janaru: couldn\'t have put it better.

Sherlock Holmes!
    Ooh-hoo-hoo yes, yes, yes!

Quoted from this message

Yes, yes, yes, indeed, Jan! Lookin\' forward to more discussion of the divine Mr Merrison loveblush with you over on Beebotron! hug

And speaking as a Beebotron rookie, I urge anyone who hasn\'t yet crossed the divide to come on over: the water\'s lovely.

xx

Message 6 - posted by becky sharp (U4544768) , 22 Hours Ago
A lovely post,Janaru...I do hope we\'ll \'see\' each other somewhere else in cyberspace ....

Best wishes to you and all I have conversed with on these boards

Becky
x

Message 7 - posted by tigermontague (U14326722) , 23 Hours Ago
Terrific stuff Janaru.
I have loved every minute of 7 and I do hope its warmth and heart will survive.
Good luck
Tiger

Message 8 - posted by Kronalias (U8408161) , 22 Hours Ago
I\'d signed out of the messageboard, but had to come back to say that was one crackin\' post, Jan.

See you elsewhere, Kronalias

Message 9 - posted by Mrs_Hudson (U14540740) , 22 Hours Ago
You\'ve said it all. Thank you.

Message 10 - posted by conion (U9432813) , 21 Hours Ago
Thu, 31 Mar 2011 20:28 GMT, in reply to Janaru in message 1

I think that says it for everyone.

Just what I felt in 2004.

Message 11 - posted by The Great Gildersleeve (U14569944) , 21 Hours Ago
How can I add anything to what has been said already...I was there from the test transmissions and now this...sadface

Altogether now...\"We\'ll meet again, don\'t know where, don\'t know when...But I know we\'ll meet again some sunny day!\"

Here\'s hoping

Gildy x

Message 12 - posted by Janaru (U12763248) , 19 Hours Ago
Thanks for the kind words, all. I think we all feel about the same.

Becky, head on over to the Beebotron, girl, if you get to feelin\' lonesome.

beebotron.org/phorum...

But if I don\'t get to speak to you again, it was fun! Take care! smiley

Live long and prosper, Superman! May you flourish in Gallifrey!

(And swing the Police Box \'round our way once in awhile, eh? winkeye Ta! )

Message 13 - posted by The Great Gildersleeve (U14569944) , 19 Hours Ago
I tried to reply to someone on the Radio 4 messageboard and with 10 minutes to closedown, my post will nit be accepted...couldn\'t even wait until midnight...erm

Hopefully I\'ll join you on Beebptron and I\'ve been invited to the Zetaboards...guess our paths will cross again smiley

Message 14 - posted by The Great Gildersleeve (U14569944) , 19 Hours Ago
Even my keyboard is playing updoh

For my final few posts erm

Bye Bye Radio 7 sadface

So long it\'s been good to know you...

Message 15 - posted by solar penguin (U1102780) , 8 Hours Ago
Janaru,

Which Sherlock Holmes are you talking about. Radio 7 normally only does that dull Merrison rubbish, which I\'d rate down there alongside Jeremy Brett one of the worst Holmes adaptations of all time.

Far from being faithful to the short stories, both these versions pad things out with far too much dull, unnecessary Holmes/Watson relationship twaddle, while we just want to ignore all that and get on with the real stories.

Still, there are people who like the boring Brett stuff despite all that ridiculous \"Holmes and Watson were secretly in love with each other but didn\'t realise it\" subtext getting in the way of the mysteries-- although I can\'t imagine why. Presumably these same people could somehow actually enjoy the Merrison series, even though it\'s ruined exactly the same problem.

Message 16 - posted by Ironeyes (U6201487) , 8 Hours Ago
Fri, 01 Apr 2011 09:58 GMT, in reply to solar penguin in message 15

What a shame that on this of all days, this thread which had remained on topic up to and including message 14, couldn\'t manage it any further.

For anybody who hasn\'t realised, this thread started by Janaru is about celebrating and being grateful for what we had, and looking forward to what we may get.

Why oh why do people have to focus on the negative?

Start your own thread (in the short time left) if you still want to moan.

Message 17 - posted by Chris Radio 7 Host (U1990524) , 8 Hours Ago
Hi Janaru

I\'d like to thank you personally for your eloquent and heartfelt message.

You have expressed what most listeners, and indeed the Radio 7 Team feel. I appreciate that.

I finally want to reassure you all that our listeners are at the heart of what we do.

With the change from Radio 7 to Radio 4 Extra I hope we have retained the spirit of Radio 7 with the elements you love, plus a few more.

What\'s in a name? Well, Radio 4 Extra has brought us more publicity than we\'ve ever had, and for me, more listeners who know about our wonderful archive network, the better.

I wish you all well in whatever message board you choose to share your ideas, which I hope will include constructive discussions on Radio 4 Extra. Do feel free to email us or to \"tweet\" us, which I am about to embark on for the first time.

Thanks for all the fish - and all the accompaniments therein!
Mary Kalemkerian

Message 18 - posted by The Great Gildersleeve (U14569944) , 7 Hours Ago
Thanks...

You know I\'ll still be listening...

I even downloaded a Desert Island Discs from the archive last night...

I wonder if the archived DID are to be heard on Radio 4 Extra or just the newer one\'s and if they are heard on the station they won\'t have the music cut as in the podcast...

I so wish we could hear some of the earlier editions with Roy the original presenter(and so some really historic public figures from politics, entertainment etc...and Michael Parkinson\'s time...

Message 19 - posted by Pat Shed (U4664057) , 7 Hours Ago
Farewell then Radio 7. You were an awful lot of fun while you lasted. Such a shame that you are being shoved aside to make way for Archers\' off-shoots, the DIDDymen and yet more almost immediate repeats of JAM (which already gets a R4 repeat in the week in which it is broadcast).

You will be missed sorely by those who loved you, another victim of the onward march of \'progress\'.

Rest in peace. We\'ll always have our fond memories of you.

Message 20 - posted by becky sharp (U4544768) , 7 Hours Ago

Becky, head on over to the Beebotron, girl, if you get to feelin\' lonesome.

beebotron.org/phorum...

Quoted from this message

ok...smiley

The Radio 4 boards have already closed ...I thought I would catch them before they did but alas no...sadface

This is a reply to this message
Complain about a message            

Message 21 - posted by Bert Coules (U10586930) , 7 Hours Ago
Dear Solar Penguin,

I love you, too.

Message 22 - posted by Dark-Avised (U13687731) , 7 Hours Ago
Great post, Janaru.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 07:19:52 PM »
Thanks, K, that was sweet of you  @\'.2\'@

Offline MinnieBannister

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 09:12:37 PM »
Who is this solar penguin anyway?! Anyone up for giving him/her a box on the ear with The Complete Works of Conan Doyle? (:P) Jan? Janx? Who\'s with me?!

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 09:13:43 PM »
Count me in!

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline tepeethetroll

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
Lovely obit Jan - said it all. (tu)
I\'m NOT paranoid......thats just what THEY want you to think!!!

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 11:23:53 PM »
Yeah, Min, I hear ya\'. I opened a R7 Messageboard Post Clean-up Area where I got to respond to that, I don\'t know whether he\'ll ever get to read it or care to respond to it, but at least I got to have my say.

By the way, that thread is open for anyone who had unfinished threads over there that they\'d like to wrap up, so if anyone would like to do that feel free.

Offline ivylune

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 12:24:26 AM »
Hi Janaru,

The Mystery Project ran on the CBC Radio 1 from 1992 until 2004 and were original 1/2 hour mysteries.  The ones I remember most were Midnight Cab about a young cab driver from Northern Ontario in Toronto who often got involved in  various cases with his wheelchair-bound girlfriend, and Peggy Delaney about a Toronto-based crime journalist, but there were many others.  I have a few episodes on cassette and I think they may be available through Audible or elsewhere online.  It would be cool if these were played again some day.

ivylune.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 02:15:12 AM »
Ooh, that does sound good! I\'ll take a look around some of the OTR sites I know. If I find anything I\'ll let you know. Thanks for letting me know about it :)

Offline Becki

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 03:16:50 PM »
It was a wonderful post Janaru.

I did try to reply over there but after typing out my thanks and appreciation of your post i was told the messageboard was closed! They did that to me a lot.

But i thought the post expressed everything i felt and more. It was eloquently put, so much better than anything i could come up with so i\'ll just agree wholeheartedly with everything you said.

Offline Janaru

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 04:12:55 PM »
Thanks, Becki, I appreciate that. I was sort of in my own little world when I posted that and accidentally tapped into what a lot of people were feelin\' :(

There\'s a thread on here for cleaning up other threads that weren\'t finished before the board shut down, if you had any.