Author Topic: Welcome R7 Messageboard Refugees  (Read 6487 times)

Offline Truthyness

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome R7 Messageboard Refugees
« Reply #195 on: March 13, 2012, 11:12:36 AM »
It\'s a good thing there are lots of \"board\" games at the Beebotron, else we might risk death from boredom hanging on for sufficient BBC quality real archive content. For the first time in 60 years, am finally coming round to accepting I\'ll have to start buying audio books and other such to fill the VOID. These past couple of weeks have, imo, been the WORST.

I don\'t listen to 4 anymore at all, so shipping its blather over here, doesn\'t help ONE JOT. I stooped to tune in to that tosh about cake currently airing and was plunged into the slough of despond. As for the greats allowed in our diet: likely lads, dad\'s A, men from the, Steptoe etc. etc. they\'ve become mantras, a kind of radio Karaoke ... I know em by heart. It\'s the PITS. Good thing I\'ve an Opera venue this week ... (Rusalka!)

Are the cops searching for \'em that\'s took Auntie\'s (the license payer\'s) silver, that\'s what I wanna know!

A commitment to Mod\'nAdminlyness: I understand that  r-e-s-i-s-t-a-n-c-e  *i - s*    f-u-t-i-l-e.
I shall not be starc

Offline Lady Penelope

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 13, 2012, 03:59:12 PM »
A am with you Tru - or rather ahead of you, as I had decided some time ago I had to supplement the meagre diet of the BBC by richer fare elsewhere.

I had hoped that the silver lininng of the closer link to R4 would be that there would be more access to \"restricted\" archive material but it seems they are just taking in more of its dirty washing.

Same with World Service - when the cost was transferred fromthe UK taxpayer to the BBC I though the BBC would take advantage of access to the many excellent programmes World Service had it is coffers.   What has happened to them?

Cui bono ?

Offline lifeonmarsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 13, 2012, 06:19:37 PM »
Isn\'t it a shame there isn\'t a service like netflix for audio books? We have audio books at the library, but it\'s not much of a choice. I saw an ad on one of the UK sites I frequent that audible UK is giving away one book for every new subscription. I haven\'t tried it yet nor do I know if you are outside the UK if you can take advantage of the offer.

I know the BBC doesn\'t condone such acts, but if you have the ability to \"bank\" readings and plays, you will have enough for the dry periods. And there are other online resources if you go fast enough (i.e. high speed internet or broadband).

Offline Lady Penelope

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 13, 2012, 09:47:33 PM »
Its expensive but the BBC actually do some excellent readings (which as you may have noticed) is my favourite genre of really good books under the Chivers label.   It does seem wrong to me that these are only available under the BBCs commercial arm, and never appear on Radio.   Particularly since there is presumably only one fee and one performer to hold copyright.  They also have very cheap offers of various radio shows, but as I have heard those I like so often on R4X I really dont need my own copy!!

I usually buy through Audio Go and their offers (apart from the free postage ones) are usually available outside the UK.   In America it might be worth trying the BBC Shop America.